Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2015, 01:18 PM   #155

One more thing....look across the tread and if any rib is higher than the others....it's most likely separated.

bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2015, 01:20 PM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcreekeric View Post
Not staying there.. but we are only a few miles to the East (Bulldog Creek Campground).. Hopefully our paths will cross..
I'm there from Aug 29th thru July 9th.....see you soon!

Old 07-21-2015, 02:09 PM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullheaded View Post
I'm there from Aug 29th thru July 9th.....see you soon!
I hope you're going to be there from July 29th thru August 9th...

Thanks for the advise... I'm going to buy two new ones and take the remaining "good" tire and use it as my spare... I just don't want to risk any problems during this trip.. that would NOT be good..
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:38 PM   #158

Quote:
I hope you're going to be there from July 29th thru August 9th...

Thanks for the advise... I'm going to buy two new ones and take the remaining "good" tire and use it as my spare... I just don't want to risk any problems during this trip.. that would NOT be good..
I think your right....loading today for a 6 week trip....brain OVERLOAD!
Old 07-21-2015, 02:54 PM   #159

hey oakcreekeric just got back from the hills and things could not look any better,lots of rain this year, no fires and good roads. Vanocker canyon has a new surface and is a treat to ride. Been riding the hills for 38 years, have had good friends with a lot of experience get hurt and killed during the rally so ride smart don't drink and ride and be aware of stones and sand on curves. have fun and return safe and sound.
Doug
Old 07-21-2015, 03:38 PM   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinglides View Post
hey oakcreekeric just got back from the hills and things could not look any better,lots of rain this year, no fires and good roads. Vanocker canyon has a new surface and is a treat to ride. Been riding the hills for 38 years, have had good friends with a lot of experience get hurt and killed during the rally so ride smart don't drink and ride and be aware of stones and sand on curves. have fun and return safe and sound.
Doug
Thanks for the update Doug....
Old 07-23-2015, 09:52 AM   #161

Quote:
Hey Guys..

I need some help/advise....

I lent my Kendon Motorcycle trailer to the owner where I work this past weekend..

Well.. he returned it and one of the trailer tires lost its middle tread bar.. not sure what happened and can't explain it.. I know the date code of the tires is 3313.. so the tires are just at two years old.. and with very little miles.. maybe less than 3500 miles

My question...

Do I replace them both at the same time.. or should I just replace the one ?

The last thing I need next week is a trailer failure.. I found the brand tire and can get two new ones.. but now I'm concerned if it's a quality tire.. The name on the tire is TRANSPORTER ST RADIAL...

I have little to no experience owning a trailer, this is my first one.. what is the wise way to handle this situation ?

Thanks for the help..
Replace both and keep the one without obvious damage as a spare. Most trailer stores have take off rims they will give you. A second spare for a long trip is good insurance. I carried a set of bearings when I went to Sturgis as insurance. Spare hub that was also a take off from someone who upgraded to brake hub. I didn't need any of the bearing or hub stuff , but I was glad to have a second set of tires. My traveling buddy saw the tread wobble and had me pull over before complete blow out occurred. I blame it on high speed we had been going.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 10:04 AM   #162

Ok... another question..

I've been told getting fuel can be challenging during Sturgis week.. is there any truth to this?

I've decided to transport a 5 gal. gas container to have at camp... is this a good idea?

BTW - I can't believe we're T-minus 7 days before take off..

I CAN'T wait !?!?!?
Old 07-23-2015, 10:06 AM   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFlcamper View Post
Replace both and keep the one without obvious damage as a spare. Most trailer stores have take off rims they will give you. A second spare for a long trip is good insurance. I carried a set of bearings when I went to Sturgis as insurance. Spare hub that was also a take off from someone who upgraded to brake hub. I didn't need any of the bearing or hub stuff , but I was glad to have a second set of tires. My traveling buddy saw the tread wobble and had me pull over before complete blow out occurred. I blame it on high speed we had been going.
Yep.. exactly what I'm going to do.. I already have a spare on the trailer.. but going this route will allow me to have all tires the same.. I just hope/pray I won't have any tire issues since they'll be new..

Also.. after further review.. I didn't have a tire failure.. it appears something "scraped/grind-ed" the tire.. I think something may have gotten lodged in the fender and did the damage.. That makes me feel better, as I am purchasing another set of these tires..
Old 07-23-2015, 08:20 PM   #164
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Eric et al,

Spending the night just outside the Badlands and closing in on the Custer tomorrow morning. Gas price in South Dakota for unleaded is about 2.65/gal with Diesel being cheaper.

I have never had a problem getting gas and one of our group rides a V-Rod with a 2.6 gal tank - just plan. We carry one of the small gas ontainers that fit in the bags for emergency. Never had to use it. That said, I bring Octane Booster. Harley's don't like the Octane in the area (I think its 81).

Bike traffic is increasing on I-90 where the speed limit is now 80 MPH! I love South Dakota!
Old 07-23-2015, 08:46 PM   #165
EV2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russtj60 View Post
Eric et al,

Spending the night just outside the Badlands and closing in on the Custer tomorrow morning. Gas price in South Dakota for unleaded is about 2.65/gal with Diesel being cheaper.

I have never had a problem getting gas and one of our group rides a V-Rod with a 2.6 gal tank - just plan. We carry one of the small gas ontainers that fit in the bags for emergency. Never had to use it. That said, I bring Octane Booster. Harley's don't like the Octane in the area (I think its 81).

Bike traffic is increasing on I-90 where the speed limit is now 80 MPH! I love South Dakota!
Low octane is 85, but I have never seen 85 without 87 available, and in most all locations 91 is available. Cannot legally sell below 85. Speed limit between Rapid and Sturgis on I90 is being reduced from 80.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:37 PM   #166
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Thanks EV2. I couldn't remember the Octane .... I just know my CVO didn't care for it.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:25 AM   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russtj60 View Post
Eric et al,

Spending the night just outside the Badlands and closing in on the Custer tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the update Russtj60...

I hope your ride out was a smooth one... speaking of.. can you give those of us coming from the East a "road report" ?

Specifically looking for construction issues... I know there isn't much we can do to avoid them.. but would like to know what we're heading into..

Also.. pictures would be appreciated for those of us who have to wait another 7 days !?!?!

Here is a link about speed limit reductions.. Looks like they're going to reduce speed limits from 80 down to 65 for the week.

Not so fast: Transportation officials checking South Dakota's 80 mph speed limit
Old 07-24-2015, 08:52 AM   #168
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Eric,

Wil do ... There is allot of Construction on I-90 through Minnesota. That said, none of it caused delays just be alert, especially when towing. I just saw the local news and apparently Minnesota I-90 got hit hard with severe thunderstorms and large damaging hail last night. So be careful! It would be great to run into you guys!