Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2015, 09:58 AM   #169

Fleetwood Owners Club
I was on I-90 East bound a couple of weeks ago; I was doing 80 and everyone was passing me. I wasn't in the MH. There was a lot of traffic too. Be safe everyone.

98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2015, 07:36 AM   #170
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Spent the night in the Badlands/White River KOA and glad we did. Perfect location to tour the Badlands National Park, which for us, is a "must ride". Badlands traffic was light and we were able to ride back and forth through the park several times. There is extensive construction on 240 so we picked up 73 out of Kadoka off of the 90 to miss it (at the advice of CG Owner). If you plan to ride the Badlands, this is a great CG to do it from.

BTW, so far, all gas stations had 91 Octane so far!

Old 07-25-2015, 10:15 AM   #171

Rode to the 50th......Just a few years ago right...Wait, it's been 25 years

Had a great time, 2 of us made a month long trip. 2 dogs on hogs.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:12 AM   #172
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I got to tell you it is great out here. Surgis is beginning to look like the Rally is in full swing. We rode 380 to Deadwood, then to Sturgis and through Vonecker Canyon back to Custer and the number of bikes a week prior to the event was really surprising. Hill City was full of bikers as was Custer. I can only say the riding is glorious with cool weather and well maintained roads. Your biggest challenge is how to wipe the smile off your face when you are done. That said, there is still a fair amount of gravel on the twisties - so be careful! They are expecting over a million people. For Eric - knowing your Milwaukee heritage, they are already predicting low levels of brew so stock up! Headed to Needles Highway this morning and up through Keystone.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:00 AM   #173
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Bring some warm riding gear. Currently 49 degrees with Hi's in the 70s. Got blasted with nasty Thunderstorm and one inch hail yesterday afternoon!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1828.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	101374  
Old 07-28-2015, 09:53 AM   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russtj60 View Post
I got to tell you it is great out here. Surgis is beginning to look like the Rally is in full swing. We rode 380 to Deadwood, then to Sturgis and through Vonecker Canyon back to Custer and the number of bikes a week prior to the event was really surprising. Hill City was full of bikers as was Custer. I can only say the riding is glorious with cool weather and well maintained roads. Your biggest challenge is how to wipe the smile off your face when you are done. That said, there is still a fair amount of gravel on the twisties - so be careful! They are expecting over a million people. For Eric - knowing your Milwaukee heritage, they are already predicting low levels of brew so stock up! Headed to Needles Highway this morning and up through Keystone.
Man... I cannot tell you how difficult it has been concentrating at work this week... I am dying and chomping at the bit to get going... I have just a couple days left...

My schedule for the remaining week...

Today - shopping - packing
Wednesday - Bike night to see local favorite band at Milwaukee HD
Thursday - Bike nite at the HD Museum
Friday - 5:00pm - ON THE ROAD !!!!!

On another note... I dropped off the bike to get new shoes installed this morning.. well, I just got off the phone with them.. as it turns out.. the clutch needs to be adjusted.. I have a bad/leaking rear shock... I'm down to final 30% on my rear pads and it was suggested to replace due to tire being off.. air cleaner needs to be "refreshed" and I'm having my neck bearing tightened up too..

So... I'll be a little lighter in the pocketbook for the beer budget !!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:00 AM   #175

Quote:
Bring some warm riding gear. Currently 49 degrees with Hi's in the 70s. Got blasted with nasty Thunderstorm and one inch hail yesterday afternoon!

Yikes !?!?!?! I hope you were not on the bike when those started coming down... that looks like it could do some serious damage..

It's funny.. I actually have two friends (two separate families) who are in the Custer SP area... they have no connection to the rally at all.. just vacationing with family.. they're posting pictures and the picture one posted of the storm cell was pretty intense..

Stay safe !!
Old 07-28-2015, 11:26 AM   #176
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
No I wasn't on the bike. We watch the weather radar closely. It is 1030 in the morning and the hail still hasn't melted! It is going to be a great riding day with temps now in the 60s. Just turned the heat off in the coach!

Getting the work done is a great investment. There is some challenging fun riding in the hills. Need to be safe!
Old 07-28-2015, 11:35 AM   #177

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sturgis

We were in Sturgis in early July and stayed 3 nights at the "Days End" campground right in Sturgis.They were all preparing for the Bike "3 week", one week before and one week after the main week. Expectations were up to one million bikers over the three weeks.
We left town early enough to miss the major crowds.
2008 Pontiac G 6 & Blue Ox Aventa LX
FC Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:29 AM   #178

C'mon Russ.... I need my Sturgis fix....

What happened yesterday ??
What's on tap for today ??

Inquiring minds NEED to know... plus it helps push me thru these final two days of work...

Ride Safe !!
Old 07-30-2015, 09:24 AM   #179
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Great riding day yesterday and the rally is getting into full swing! Traffic is building and we are glad we are in Custer. As the Sturgis crowd rides south in the morning we are headed north. Rode Needles Highway to 385 then to Vonecker Canyon ... lunch in Sturgis. Test rode the new Indian. Great bikes, but I'll stick with my CVO Road Glide. Eric, you will be happy to know the Bikini Bike washes are in full swing! Got on the 90 and rode to Spearfish Canyon. We love the ride through the Canyon! Headed up to Deadwood and stopped in Deadwood Tobacco for a beer and cigar, then a chilly hour plus ride to Custer! Great day and great riding! We are running late this morning, but the plan is to head South and find the Buffalo.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1848.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	392.5 KB
ID:	101574  
Old 07-31-2015, 08:35 AM   #180

Quote:
Great riding day yesterday and the rally is getting into full swing! Traffic is building and we are glad we are in Custer. As the Sturgis crowd rides south in the morning we are headed north. Rode Needles Highway to 385 then to Vonecker Canyon ... lunch in Sturgis. Test rode the new Indian. Great bikes, but I'll stick with my CVO Road Glide. Eric, you will be happy to know the Bikini Bike washes are in full swing! Got on the 90 and rode to Spearfish Canyon. We love the ride through the Canyon! Headed up to Deadwood and stopped in Deadwood Tobacco for a beer and cigar, then a chilly hour plus ride to Custer! Great day and great riding! We are running late this morning, but the plan is to head South and find the Buffalo.
Thanks Russ... That is one awesome picture... Looks like the streets of Custer..

Well... today is the day.. I've been dreaming and planning for this day for over a year now... Hard to believe in 8 LONG hours, the rig will be pointing west and we will be on our way..

I want to thank everyone for contributing to this thread.. I really appreciate everyones insight and knowledge.. I expecting to have a great time.. we love the Black Hills.. and with your help, it'll be that much better...

So... if you're going out to Sturgis.. PLEASE ride safe... and if you're not.. please be mindful of all the bikes on the road this summer.. They want to get home to their loved ones just as badly as you do... lets make sure EVERYONE gets home safe..

Here is a picture from the HD Museum last night
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BikeNite.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	223.0 KB
ID:	101664  
Old 07-31-2015, 06:39 PM   #181
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Thanks Eric. Actually the picture is from main street Sturgis!!! Ride safely! It is a blast and hills and roads are super!! Maybe I'll see some of you out there!
Old 07-31-2015, 11:39 PM   #182

Eric and Russ, sounds like both of you are in for a great time!

Travel safely!

Jerry

2015 Newmar Ventana 3636 (almost finished..we saw pics !!), Cummins ISB,
2014 JKU Wrangler, SMI AF1, Blue Ox Baseplate and Tow Bar