Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2015, 08:32 PM   #183

Thor Owners Club
The Journey Begins

First trip to Sturgis, on the bucket list for a long time! New rig and thought I would share a photo! Everyone be safe and keep the shiny side up! Looking forward to the Black Hills!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150802_211348.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	101905  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2015, 02:58 PM   #184

We stayed at Wind Cave National Park - quiet - easy ride to Custer - saw hundreds of buffaloes - and road our vintage Goldwing with thousands upon thousands of motorcycles. Enjoyed the Needles - Iron Mountain Road - Rushmore - Sturgis - Custer - Keystone - and so much more. I agree - The biggest challenge was wiping the smile off at every turn. Any rider who does not put the Sturgis Rally on your bucket list is missing the trip of a lifetime! As one repeat biker said "It's all about the RIDES!" Never been in better biking country - even though we live close to Tail of the Dragon.
Now we have a question for heading further west: Anybody know if it is safe to take a 40 footer pulling a trailer over 16 - from Buffalo to Cody?? Yellowstone is next on our bucket list!

PS - The Wind Cave Tour was high on our list of LIKES, too!
PeaceofMine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:15 AM   #185

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceofMine View Post
We stayed at Wind Cave National Park - quiet - easy ride to Custer - saw hundreds of buffaloes - and road our vintage Goldwing with thousands upon thousands of motorcycles. Enjoyed the Needles - Iron Mountain Road - Rushmore - Sturgis - Custer - Keystone - and so much more. I agree - The biggest challenge was wiping the smile off at every turn. Any rider who does not put the Sturgis Rally on your bucket list is missing the trip of a lifetime! As one repeat biker said "It's all about the RIDES!" Never been in better biking country - even though we live close to Tail of the Dragon.
Now we have a question for heading further west: Anybody know if it is safe to take a 40 footer pulling a trailer over 16 - from Buffalo to Cody?? Yellowstone is next on our bucket list!

PS - The Wind Cave Tour was high on our list of LIKES, too!
Hey guys, I could not agree more about the rides in the Badlands. I just spent 12 days in Hill City and on Sat drove to Cody where I am now. If you think that was great wait until you see Yellowstone. I did 300 miles in the park yesterday...I don't think I ever said WOW as much as I did yesterday!
I drove a 38' gasser pulling a 12' trailer with my Ultra and golf cart over 16 and although it is a steep pull, the roads are great and you will be fine.
raycyn778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 06:24 AM   #186

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Spartan Chassis
I am glad to hear that ... headed there on Sunday!
Russ - USN SWO (ret) - 2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan Chassis a Road Glide CVO & Dyna Switchback in an Iron horse trailer or a Jeep Unlimited Alliance Valor 40V13 toyhauler (on order) with Harley CVO ROad Glide and Dyna Switchback in the garage, pulled by a F350 DRW
Russtj60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:24 PM   #187

Don't know how I missed this topic until now but I wanted to go this year so badly....Oh well, reading through all these pages gave me some insight for when I finally do make it to Sturgis. Maybe when the 80th Celebration comes around. I hope some of you that responded to this topic come back and report on your likes and dis-likes at the Rally,especially your RV Park stay's? Over the past few year's I've checked on just about every campground in the area but I keep coming back to Glencoe...so if anyone is their..lets hear from you...

Thanks to all, be safe and have a Great time.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:59 PM   #188

Monaco Owners Club
Well the 2015 rally is about history.
we did well at the races. I lost in the semi finals on our top fuel bike.
stayed at the track for a few days then moved to Vanocker rv and camp ground just off exit 32 in Sturgis. Stumbled across the place and they had room. 65 per night with power and water. Sweet.
Crowds definitely bigger. Quite a few changes around town.
I'm guessing the city is putting pressure on any vendors selling items not officially licensed through Stugis Rally and Races. There is a pretty incestuous relationship between the city and the company.
we'll pull out tomorrow. As usual, a fun trip.
courtjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:21 AM   #189

WOW !?!?!?!?

What a week... everything was awesome... we had an ABSOLUTE blast..

Saturday - Arrived late at the campground
Sunday - Sturgis-Deadwood-Spearfish Canyon
Monday - Custer-Wildlife Loop-Needles Hwy-Sturgis
Tuesday - Crazy Horse-Mt. Rushmore-Iron Mountain Rd
Wednesday - Rapid City Dealership-Badlands
Thursday - Devil's Tower-Sundance-Sturgis
Friday - Sturgis-Full Throttle-Beaver Bar-The Chip-Broke Spoke Saloon-Sturgis
Saturday - Sturgis - Headed Home !!

I will say this to anyone who visits this thread in the future... BULLDOG CREEK CAMPGROUND.... It's not flashy.. not sure if it's cheap or expensive.. but it had level sites.. it was clean... and it was perfectly situated for quick access to all the area has to offer... we were 10 minutes from downtown Sturgis and 20 minutes from the large dealership in Rapid City... quite possibly the best decision we made all week long..

Finally... thanks to all that have contributed to this thread... I can't wait to go back !!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sturgis2015.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	249.4 KB
ID:	102746  
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote