Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2014, 11:38 AM   #15

WOW courtjester.... excellent information...

After my initial post... I've had some time to think about things and have spoken to others..

Here is what I've learned and thought about..

• While I am not a complete party animal.. It was mentioned that if you're going to do something like this.. might as well soak up all the "au jus" you can.. or as I was told.. if you're going to do it.. might as well go BIG... or go home...
  • Being far away is good, as you will get rest and be out of the madness.. that also means I will have to drive a good distance to get to the events.. and it could possibly mean driving around dusk and/or night... with all the wildlife in that area.. that has become a concern of mine..
  • As stated above.. I don't want to be driving on the bike at late hours and long distances.. but we do like to be near the action and will want to partake in many of the activities.. just not till the wee hours of the night/morning (ok, maybe one or two nights )..

So.. I am in a bit of a quandary ...

I checked into Glencoe and they want $700 (early bird) from 7/27 to 8/10.. so, it seems to be a good deal if you're going to be there for the full two weeks.. Unfortunately, I don't have that type of vacation time.. They do make you purchase a $200 (per person) activity bracelet.. OUCH !! However, they are right in the middle of the action... Buffalo Chip, Full Throttle Salon and Broke Spoke.. and not too far from downtown Sturgis..

I looked at Chris' and it looks nice.. I haven't checked on rates, it appears you need to call them and inquire.. Guess that will be something for the "to-do" list.. A couple of the guys who have expressed an interest in going with me want to be near a bar.. it doesn't appear Chris' has a bar in the campground.. that could be a problem..

Thanks again for contributing.. and if anyone else has info to add.. Please, jump into the thread and give me your two cents !!

oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2014, 01:47 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
all of the larger parks have bars on site. Day's end might be a good choice. If it were between glenco and the broken spoke, I'd pick the spoke although its a bit further out.

Funny story. Glenco is HUGE. There are two entrances, the main one just across from the full throttle saloon and a back entrance a bit north from there next to the drag strip. Around dusk every night, the big main road through the camp gets lined with people waiting for the show. The show includes folks riding back and forth..some fully clothed and some not clothed at all. Lots of signs offering margaritas in exchange for "show us your....." (blank depends on if man or woman). There's guys with chain saw powered blenders, so plenty of drinks. If you're a woman on a bike, you're in for a lot of hooting and hollering, invitations and such. Couple years ago we were just setting up at the drag strip. I had lost my cell phone and someone turned it in at the main glenco gate. I asked Leila to jump in the golf cart we use at the track and told her to go back the main gate to grab the phone. I didn't tell her about "the road". I was pretty much in hiding when she rolled back in an hour later. Good thing cuz I think I've had taken a frying pan up side of my head. She apparently got the full treatment. I didn't have the nerve to ask if or how many margaritas she had.

Have fun.

courtjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:59 PM   #17

Is anyone coming to Milwaukee for the Rally this weekend?
Old 09-02-2014, 05:45 PM   #18

Sturgis

New Newmar 3921 toy hauler on order and thinking about Sturgis. Can you make suggestions for resort type campgrounds to stay at.
vfauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:13 PM   #19

This year, or for next season?

If for next season how far are you willing to ride in ? Everything close, is probably already booked.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:59 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Next year (2015) is 75th, I wouldn't wait too long for reservations, 2014 Rally is over. How close do you want to stay to Sturgis and how much are you willing to spend will determine much of the amenities and distance.

Here is a link to the options available:
Campgrounds & RV Parks | Places To Stay (Lodging / Camping) | 75th Annual 2015 Sturgis ® Motorcycle Rally

I personally prefer to stay south of Sturgis in the Hill City Area. My main purpose is the traffic, early mornings if I head south first I am ahead of the heavy traffic coming from the Sturgis area and find traffic lighter, if we head north first we are going against the flow and this makes a difference to me from a safety and convenience perspective.

If you want to stay and spend most of your time in and around Sturgis, Hill City may not be best option as you are a little over an hour ride and with wildlife, darkness, etc may not be best option. Good luck in your planning, it is a great time!
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:47 AM   #21
doc

Appalachian Campers
jeryan59 is right. It is big every year, but the 75th will be huge . Not sure there is a 'good' place to stay. The Buffalo Chip if you want to party, drink etc and not sleep. Places further east on/off I-90 if you want to sleep but you will have to ride further. Either way, the prices for places to stay will go for much higher than usual for a couple or three weeks, up to, during and for a couple of days after the rally. There is a pretty nice place in Spearfish but cannot recall the name (CRS ) it would get you fairly close and save the ride on the northern hills surface roads.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:25 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
jeryan59 is right. It is big every year, but the 75th will be huge . Not sure there is a 'good' place to stay. The Buffalo Chip if you want to party, drink etc and not sleep. Places further east on/off I-90 if you want to sleep but you will have to ride further. Either way, the prices for places to stay will go for much higher than usual for a couple or three weeks, up to, during and for a couple of days after the rally. There is a pretty nice place in Spearfish but cannot recall the name (CRS ) it would get you fairly close and save the ride on the northern hills surface roads.
the place near spearfish is Chris' campground. Nice place. Better call soon.
I've been pretty much every year except a couple from the late 80's.

All depends on what you want. There are places north of downtown, out near the full throttle saloon and the broken spoke. Broken spoke has lots of space and is probably about 8 or ten miles north of town. Buffalo Chip has lots of stuff going on with concerts etc, but not my favorite. Glenco ok too, but its a mess if it rains. Shade Valley is out north as well.

There are several other places in Spearfish besides Chris'. In fact there is one right next door plus a park in town.

If you head down to I 90, there are several places between sturgis and rapid city; Suzie's camp is one and is ok. Days end is another.

Personally I prefer out near spearfish or down south of deadwood and lead.
I try to stay away from the places north of town, just because the traffic is a pain. There is a shortcut however that goes from just south of the full throttle to I 90 just east of Sturgis, if you know where to find it.

Recently we've been staying in a few places between sturgis and rapid city. Easy ride into town and easy to get out of town to head elsewhere.

If you just relax and expect the traffic it's a fun few days. Have a good time.
If you make the trip, stop out at the dragstrip and watch the top fuel harleys run. you're welcome to take mine down the strip if you've a mind to. It does zero to about 100 mph in two seconds, so it does tend to wake you up.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:31 AM   #23

For the past several trips we have stayed at Glencoe... they have large full hook up sites ( I never had any issues with rain causing issues as the RV sites are on the side od a gentle hill.... the tent areas are indeed in a creek bed area) It's only a couple miles to Main Street, they have plenty of onsite entertainment for times you might want to hand out, the Full Throttle is right across the street.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:46 PM   #24

I just made my reservations for Sturgis on Friday... I am staying at Bulldog Creek Campground.. I only got 30amp and water service.. no septic...

Good luck... I originally had something working with Shade Valley and when I called to confirm, the lady I had been emailing back and forth was no longer employed.. The person I did speak with said they were completely book.. I called to about 8-10 campsites and most only had dry camping spots.. very few (maybe 2-3) had camping with electric and water, which was my minimum qualifier...

Now.. that being said.. I wanted to be within 20 miles of Sturgis.. I DID NOT want to be riding thru that area at night with all the wildlife roaming around.. So, if you're not apposed to having a 50+ mile drive to Sturgis, I'm sure you will have more options than me.. but I'm guessing those will be gone before long too..

Good Luck !!!!
Old 10-28-2014, 01:23 PM   #25

Ok.. Well.. I finally made my reservations... everything didn't go as I expected/planned.. but I'm locked in and I hope the campground I chose will be nice..

I originally had my sights set on Shade Valley.. I'd been in communication with someone from there via email and let them know of my intentions.. well... when I called to lock things down, that person didn't work there anymore and everything I had worked out was gone... done... not available... talk about a kick to the pants...

Anyway.. after scrambling around and calling about 10+ campgrounds.. I ended up with Bulldog Creek Campground... its just about 8-10 miles east of Sturgis.. It was a bit of a challenge finding 5 sites together.. but Zach really went above and beyond in my opinion... and for those that see this post.. he may still have a few sites left... give him a call...

So.. what I learned..
  • While I had my heart set on Shade Valley, I think I may have dodged a bullet.. I have spoken to a number of people and they feel being that close to Sturgis will be a detriment... it appears logistics will get in your way.. getting in and out of Sturgis during a regular year takes about an hour (from what I've been told) and next year is supposed to be even worse.. So, having to come/go to your campsite via downtown Sturgis is not going to easy.. yes, there are other routes.. but they appear to be "the long way" around..
  • If you want to stay within about 20 miles of Sturgis.. good luck.. there are places that have only dry camping sites available.. Some may have electric, even few have electric/water and full hook up.. forget it.. My minimum qualifier was water/electric.. Oh, and finding 50amp service.. I think that's next to impossible
  • Finally, as most can guess.. next years rally is going to be, beyond huge.. they are expecting over 1,000,000 people to attend.. That's A LOT of people... I can't wait.. it will be my first time..
Anyway... chime in.. tell me where you're staying and what your plans might be... I am hoping to get Devils Tower, Needles Hwy, Badlands, Wall Drug and the Custer Wildlife Loop in, just to name a few.. Plus maybe party a bit in Sturgis and see what all the fuss is about.. So, I've started a T-shirt fund and will be counting the days...
Old 10-28-2014, 10:06 PM   #26

I'm booked for 5 nights at Sturgis RV Park in Sturgis. Can walk to downtown. Look
like long full service sites. Anybody know anything about this campground?
Old 10-29-2014, 10:16 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcreekeric View Post
I just made my reservations for Sturgis on Friday... I am staying at Bulldog Creek Campground.. I only got 30amp and water service.. no septic...

Good luck... I originally had something working with Shade Valley and when I called to confirm, the lady I had been emailing back and forth was no longer employed.. The person I did speak with said they were completely book.. I called to about 8-10 campsites and most only had dry camping spots.. very few (maybe 2-3) had camping with electric and water, which was my minimum qualifier...

Now.. that being said.. I wanted to be within 20 miles of Sturgis.. I DID NOT want to be riding thru that area at night with all the wildlife roaming around.. So, if you're not apposed to having a 50+ mile drive to Sturgis, I'm sure you will have more options than me.. but I'm guessing those will be gone before long too..

Good Luck !!!!
did you actually call Glencoe? Not my favorite spot, but have something like 1,000 full hookups.

Camping & Cabin Rentals | Sturgis® Motorcycle Rally Entertainment | Glencoe Camp Resort Sturgis

Its pricey...something like 725 to park your rv PLUS 275 for each wristband. ouch.

Or...you could park at the racetrack where we'll be, right next door. Its free although dry camping.

Have fun. Drop a note if you want some of the shortcuts to get around town.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:06 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Sturgis 2015

I know it's early, but it is the 75th anniversary and the crowds are expected to be huge. This will be fifth trip to the rally and the first in my motorhome. We normally stay in Spearfish Canyon Inn (great place), but with the recent purchase of our Thor Outlaw, we are planning to stay at local camp sights. We love to ride and typically show up a week early to get less crowded riding. I'd appreciate any lessons learned, campground recommendation, etc.

Thanks in advance

Russ