Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2015, 07:13 AM   #85

Winnebago Owners Club
I just bought a 8.5x12 V-nose for my two Harleys. Perfect size! Side by side over the axle with a ton of room in front for my grill, bicycle, tables and chairs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02001.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	284.9 KB
ID:	85705   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02034.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	277.7 KB
ID:	85706  

raycyn778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2015, 06:11 PM   #86

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcreekeric View Post
I know this is a bit off topic, but since I got some bike people paying attention, I'll take advantage of your knowledge...

Here is a trailer I'm looking to buy. My plan is to have a trailer condo for my friends while at Sturgis. I'm looking for input from anyone who trailers their bike in an enclosed trailer. I would say 98% of the time it will be just my bike, but occasionally I will want to bring a another couple with us and give them a "bedroom" of their own. I want a 12' trailer, but I've been told it wouldn't be big enough to haul two full dresser bikes. Will a 12' be big enough, or should I go bigger for that 3%-5% of the time I may bring friends?

Check this out 7x12 Plus 2ft V 14ft Toy Hauler Enclosed Bike Cargo Motorcycle Trailer Finished | eBay

Thanks for the help
12' is plenty big enough for two baggers. Maybe three if you don't mind stacking them. Although I'd want 16' minimum and preferably 18 or 20. 20 is a good size because when you want to sell it, its a popular one; car guys like them, construction guys..all sorts of people. You can also get 4 bikes in it with room to spare.

Do yourself a favor and upgrade the axles. especially if you haul extra bikes with some extra stuff. They just hold up better. If weight is an issue, just get a stripped down cargo trailer and add your own paint etc.

Ramp style door is way preferable to barn style with separate ramps.

Best thing for bikes is usually E track, but wheel chocks and eye bolts are fine. Make sure if you use eye bolts, you through bolt them and put some sort of plate on the under side to reinforce.

Also, the bikes in the back of the trailer will take twice the beating as the ones in front, so pack accordingly.

Whatever you get, watch the tires like a hawk. Utility trailer tires are typically pretty junky. I've probably but close to 150,000 miles on pulling bikes in trailers and I'm betting I've had 6-8 blowouts over the years. Pickup truck tires work way better.

Never, ever, ever, strap the bikes down with the ratchet anywhere close to anything you care about. Sooner or later one will come loose and it can mess up a $2,500 paint job in about 15 seconds.

FWIW, with every trailer I've had, I've added some 12 v lighting inside and also run a 110 circuit with flourescent lights and recepticles. Pretty easy to do and makes things way more user frieindly, both on the road and when you're stopped and have 110 access. Throw in a folding bed or two from someone like these guys
https://www.blazinbelltech.com/furniture.html
and you've got home away from home.
Have fun
courtjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:44 AM   #87

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Spartan Chassis
Great advice ... I installed Biker Bars in my trailer. No more straps and I maximizes space.

http://www.turnoverball.com/products...ycle/biker-bar
Russ - USN SWO (ret) - 2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan Chassis a Road Glide CVO & Dyna Switchback in an Iron horse trailer or a Jeep Unlimited Alliance Valor 40V13 toyhauler (on order) with Harley CVO ROad Glide and Dyna Switchback in the garage, pulled by a F350 DRW
Russtj60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:38 AM   #88

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russtj60 View Post
Great advice ... I installed Biker Bars in my trailer. No more straps and I maximizes space.

http://http://www.turnoverball.com/p...ycle/biker-bar
looks like a great device, unfortunately I load my bike sideways in trailer with side ramp door and I can't use this in my application, but for anyone hauling them in direction of travel, what a neat set up!
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:14 AM   #89

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeryan59 View Post
looks like a great device, unfortunately I load my bike sideways in trailer with side ramp door and I can't use this in my application, but for anyone hauling them in direction of travel, what a neat set up!
It really does work well - I hate tiedowns. I have not installed them into my Outlaw because I am reluctant to drill holes into the floor ... I wonder if I could l load my full dressers into the Outlaw - Sideways ... I gotta thunk on that one!
Russ - USN SWO (ret) - 2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan Chassis a Road Glide CVO & Dyna Switchback in an Iron horse trailer or a Jeep Unlimited Alliance Valor 40V13 toyhauler (on order) with Harley CVO ROad Glide and Dyna Switchback in the garage, pulled by a F350 DRW
Old 02-11-2015, 01:25 PM   #90

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russtj60 View Post
It really does work well - I hate tiedowns. I have not installed them into my Outlaw because I am reluctant to drill holes into the floor ... I wonder if I could l load my full dressers into the Outlaw - Sideways ... I gotta thunk on that one!
The mfg says it will not work sideways, only the direction of travel. I don't know why it wouldn't work with a tie down for hard braking but that defeats the purpose of no straps. If you watch the video it states it will not work sideways.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:29 PM   #91

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeryan59 View Post
The mfg says it will not work sideways, only the direction of travel. I don't know why it wouldn't work with a tie down for hard braking but that defeats the purpose of no straps. If you watch the video it states it will not work sideways.
Johnny - I understand --- I was wondering if there was another system that is on the market that supports a sideways installation ... just musing on a cold - grey day!
Old 02-18-2015, 12:28 PM   #92

Fun fact of the day (not to mention a shameless bump )

From the files of... did you know ???

I just realized next year is the 75th anniversary of Daytona Bike week.. So, it looks like I will be going to the 75th Sturgis and then the 75th Bike week in Daytona...

How's that for a daily-double ? (for all those horse racing fans out there, can you tell I grew up in Louisville, KY - home of the KY Derby?)

Anyway... looks like I might be starting a new thread titled "Daytona Bike Week 2016"
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:36 PM   #93

The motorcycle portion of that Biker Bar looks like it could be a little close to the ground and prone to catching on turns doesn't it?
anthonynalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:28 AM   #94

I work as a volunteer in Custer State Park. We have several campgrounds with 50/30 electrical hookup at $25 per night. Same price during rally. No minimum stay, 14 day max. We also have cabins at $50 per night. We are only about 40 minutes from Sturgis. You can make reservations up to one year in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycyn778 View Post
Hello fellow bikers and RV'ers. Need a little help. I am a long attendee of Daytona bike week(25 times starting back in 1971) and Laconia (16 times including last year)but have never been to Sturgis. I want to change that this year. I have a class A Winnebago Adventurer and am taking the summer off to tour as many national parks as I can and want to be in the Sturgis area for bike fest. I need suggestions for a campground with full hook ups or at least water/electric 50A if possible within 30 or 40 minutes of Sturgis. any help is very appreciated..
Thanks
Ray
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 03:59 AM   #95

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonynalli View Post
The motorcycle portion of that Biker Bar looks like it could be a little close to the ground and prone to catching on turns doesn't it?
The biker bar is detachable. You remove it prior to riding. I did try riding with attached on the Road Glide (yeah I am a rebel - actually I forgot to remove it) and you are right - it scrapes. It is attached by a screw clamp - only takes a few minutes and then you drive the bike into the bracket. No straps. No incidents when I trailered four bikes to Sturgis from Virginia Beach without incident. Worth the bucks. I hate straps.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:04 AM   #96

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Spartan Chassis
Just noticed it is warmer in Sturgis than Virginia Beach. Is it too early to start heading to South Dakota to get warm?
Old 02-20-2015, 08:44 AM   #97

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
I work as a volunteer in Custer State Park. We have several campgrounds with 50/30 electrical hookup at $25 per night. Same price during rally. No minimum stay, 14 day max. We also have cabins at $50 per night. We are only about 40 minutes from Sturgis. You can make reservations up to one year in advance.

Quote:
Hello fellow bikers and RV'ers. Need a little help. I am a long attendee of Daytona bike week(25 times starting back in 1971) and Laconia (16 times including last year)but have never been to Sturgis. I want to change that this year. I have a class A Winnebago Adventurer and am taking the summer off to tour as many national parks as I can and want to be in the Sturgis area for bike fest. I need suggestions for a campground with full hook ups or at least water/electric 50A if possible within 30 or 40 minutes of Sturgis. any help is very appreciated..
Thanks
Ray
Thank you for the info, will check it out. I assume no sewer hookups, right?
Old 02-20-2015, 08:59 AM   #98

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post

Quote:
Thanks
Ray
TxTiger, hello, tried to look up Custer State park but it looks like it is a lot farther than 40 miles away. Which campground is it?