Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2015, 09:49 PM   #113

Monaco Owners Club
So here's a sturgis deal if you're in need of a place to camp for a few days and you have a motorcycle with you. I ran into the sturgis dragstrip manager at the nhra race in Vegas last weekend. There will be motorcycle drags at sturgis this year including a class for ordinary street bikes. If you enter your bike, you can camp at the track all week... for free. The track is out near the full throttle saloon so pretty convenient. I'll be there with my top fuel bike and can certainly help out if you've never been down a track before. It's only an eigth mile so you'll barely be up to freeway speeds. Lots of fun. (Plus I'm short of crew and could certainly use some help). The sturgis dragstrip website will have details.
courtjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2015, 03:41 AM   #114

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Spartan Chassis
Thanks Toni. Sounds like a blast. We'll see you there.
Russ - USN SWO (ret) - 2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan Chassis a Road Glide CVO & Dyna Switchback in an Iron horse trailer or a Jeep Unlimited Alliance Valor 40V13 toyhauler (on order) with Harley CVO ROad Glide and Dyna Switchback in the garage, pulled by a F350 DRW
Russtj60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 06:20 AM   #115

Thanks for the info...

Also.. after much consternation on trailers... I've decided to forego getting an enclosed an opted for this..

It's a 2004 Kendon Dual Trailer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150417_082345.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	91785  
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 03:58 PM   #116

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Spartan Chassis
I prefer this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thor Outlaw.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	364.8 KB
ID:	91846  
Russ - USN SWO (ret) - 2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan Chassis a Road Glide CVO & Dyna Switchback in an Iron horse trailer or a Jeep Unlimited Alliance Valor 40V13 toyhauler (on order) with Harley CVO ROad Glide and Dyna Switchback in the garage, pulled by a F350 DRW
Old 04-19-2015, 06:34 PM   #117

Monaco Owners Club
On that Kendon, be sure to check every nut and bolt on it a couple times and check your straps frequently. I used to sell them and they are good trailers but.....double check everything. With one that old I'm sure you'll be fine. Also, on a bagger like yours don't be surprised if you bleed the lifters down when towing if you go any distance. They'll pump right back up, but can make quite a racket for a few seconds.
courtjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 04:13 AM   #118

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Spartan Chassis
Toni,

I agree. I towed two bikes to Sturgis from Va without a problem in 2005. Only downside was they needed a good cleaning. Don't remember the lifter issue, but probably wouldn't recognize what it was anyway.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:24 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russtj60 View Post
I prefer this

show off !!!
Old 04-20-2015, 09:30 AM   #120

Good info Toni.. I appreciate the heads up..

I did a pretty thorough inspection on the trailer before I took the trip.. but I didn't put a ratchet/wrench on any of the bolts.. I think that may be a quick project for peace of mind..

As to the strap situation.. I read the best "strap" to use is one with the carabiner clips, that way, if you hit a good "dip" or "bump" the hook doesn't come undone.. our trip this weekend was 800 miles and not one issue.. and we hit A LOT of bumps and dips...

Ok... gotta go search IRV2 for some good Bourbon Trail information.. We're taking the RV and bikes in May and I need to start planning for that trip..
Old 04-21-2015, 05:23 AM   #121

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Spartan Chassis
Kentucky Bourbon Run

Eric,

Tried to attach a brochure that may help in your bourbon run planning but exceeded forum size limits. PM your email address and I'll send you the info. A friend of mine made this run two years ago and we keep threatening to make it again (once he gets over his hangover).
Old 04-22-2015, 07:28 AM   #122

Thanks Russ... got the PM and the brochure...

I decided on KY Horse Park Campground, so if you're interested in joining us.. I believe there's still a good site right next to our group.. We have three RV's and four couples going...

We will arrive at the campground early Friday morning (5/15).. we'll either set up camp quickly, if our sites are available, or we will drop the bikes and get going to the Trail.. I think we'll do Four Roses, Wild Turkey & Woodford Reserve the first day. On Saturday, we will go towards Bardstown and do Makers Mark, Heaven Hill and Jim Beam. If all goes right.. I have a buddy who has connections at Jim Beam, he is working on getting us a private tour.. that would be WAY cool !!

So, if you're looking for something to do the weekend of May 14-17, join us !!!
Old 05-28-2015, 08:36 AM   #123

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Spartan Chassis
Awful quiet here. I hope everyone is enjoying the riding season and making preps for Sturgis. Been up to Skyline and blue Ridge getting ready for the twisties in South Dakota and Wyoming. Safe travels!
Old 05-28-2015, 09:15 AM   #124

Well... Trying to get as much riding in as possible..

Just a couple weeks ago we went to KY and did part of the Bourbon Trail.. got totally rained out on Saturday.. That sucked !?!?!

Bike weeks are starting to fire up around here.. but the weather hasn't been cooperating very much.. heck, we had frost warnings just a week ago.. Last night I went to the local Quaker Steak & Lube.. The HD Museum has one tonight, but I've gotta kid function I'll be attending..

Other than that.. about to purchase two new tires in preparation for Sturgis (Dunlop has a $50 rebate that expires at the end of this month).. Can't believe in a little over 60 days.. we'll be heading west...

On a side note.. you might want to check out this thread (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f256/5-st...uy-244384.html)... I broke down and purchased one and can't believe the difference it made.. well worth the $400... I mentioned to the GF, I can't wait to make the trip now.. especially with the new tune.. the elimination of all the shifting and high RPM's made our 1000 trip to MN very enjoyable.. and I picked up a full 1 mpg...

Keep riding safe... hopefully some of us on this thread will be able to meet up and have a beer..
Old 05-28-2015, 10:22 AM   #125

Staying at GlenCoe as usual. Will get there about 7-27 and get out before the end stampede to leave....lol. Taking our time getting there and then when we leave we will be on the road for apx a month.

Everything is good to go except a new enclosed trailer i am having built. That should be done for pickup on July 1st.

Can't wait!
Excursion 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 04:50 AM   #126

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Spartan Chassis
Sounds like you guys are ready. I'll be in Custer 7/27 and will stay through the rally. If the stampede gets too much - I'll head west early.

Eric, I have the 5 Star and like it. The customer service is great. I have had some issues on some very steep climbs - 8% grades where I would have liked it to downshift and it didn't. Max speed was 35. Other lessons learned was use the tow/haul when you tow/haul. Remember to take it out of cruise control when moving up hills/mountains or you will drive your RPMs to the limit. So it is a learning experience. Good luck with it. Sorry about the weather --- but it is Milwaukee :-)