Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2014, 02:56 PM   #1

Sturgis 2015

Hello..

I am looking for Sturgis Rally veterans who have.. "Been there - done that"..

I am planning on going next year for the 75th Anniversary and I will be making my reservation shortly after this year's event. I've been told, due to the 75th, reservations will book faster than normal. So, I am enlisting the help of the throbbing brain known as the IRV2 community..

Two years ago, I did the Mt. Rushmore trip with the kids and have some idea of the area. We did; Needles Hwy, Deadwood, Custer State Park, Crazy Horse and such... but that was with a car, full of kids... We're looking forward to doing all those on a bike... without the kiddo's..

Tentatively, I am leaning towards making reservations at a place called Custer's Gulch. When we were there two years ago, we didn't stay there, but we rented a car there, and it seemed nice. One big plus, it rents cars at its location. One member of my group is not a bike rider and having a car would be nice.

What I am looking for you ask ???
  • Full Hook-up
  • Nice clean park
  • Reasonably priced
  • Level sites able to handle 40' plus trailer
  • Close enough to the action but with the ability to get a good nights sleep..

We are not complete party animals, but we like to have a good time... We are not looking to stay at "The Chip" and be in the middle of the madness, but we would like to be close enough to partake in the festivities, without an hour drive to get there. I've been telling people I am planning on it being "Sturgis Lite".

We want to soak in the flavor, but with the ability to get a good night's sleep... Likely, we will plan only a couple nights in Sturgis and the rest would be "during the day" trips and getting out before things really get fired up..

The knock against Custer's Gulch, its 70 miles from Sturgis. That's not a huge deal breaker, but being somewhat closer would be nice.

So... I turn to you.. the gigantic throbbing brain.. with all of your wisdom.. please enlighten me...
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2014, 03:06 PM   #2

We stayed at Custers Gulch last year. You 70 miles is accurate and not that big of a deal as the ride is pleasant. The camp ground is quiet and was filled with bikers. If you want to stay in Sturgis late just be sure to take the big highway back as the smaller roads are rather dark. The cost is about 1/3 of what a closer place to Sturgis will cost but like you I enjoyed the quiet nights for sleeping.
Cobra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:13 AM   #3

Thanks Cobra1... That is exactly the type of information I'm looking for..
Old 07-11-2014, 11:05 AM   #4

Make sure you drive through the park to stop amongst the buffalo as the it is amazing being so close. One day we rode to Devils Tower. A long trip but worth it. It is also nice to ride the needles both ways to get different views. Not going this year as the daughter is getting married. Probably shouldn't miss that.
Cobra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:08 AM   #5

Sturgeons

We have stayed at broken spoke campground the past 2 years. Not as rowdy as chip or glenco but has entertainment, bar, large pool, and a few vendors. You can get a spot high on the hill with view of bear butte. We will be there for 75th
Cooler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:58 AM   #6

We've stayed t Glencoe the past 3-4 times we've been there. 2 years ago was our latest trip and I was surprised how mellow Glencoe is now compared to prior stays there. The full hookup sites are huge, they have a nice bar with daily happy hour and at least 2 years ago, the noise at night was minimal. I like being able to ride into town in under 5 minutes, or just walk across the street to the Full Throttle.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:06 PM   #7

I was just give a recommendation for a place called "Shade Valley Camp Resort", located in Sturgis.

Can anyone give any information on this place... or any other recommendations from experienced Sturgis goers ?

Thanks
Old 08-03-2014, 11:45 AM   #8

Hoping for some good intel from any IRV2'ers who maybe headed to Sturgis right now...

Hopefully soon, I would like to make my 2015 reservation next week
Old 08-13-2014, 11:26 AM   #9

Bump?

A bit of a shameless bump....

Hoping most have returned from this year's Sturgis and will be able to give me some insight..

I've called a couple places and it seems people are already booking for next year... I am hoping to make as informed decision as I can..

Please help me !!
Old 08-13-2014, 11:41 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have stayed at Elkhorn Ridge RV Resort the last 2 years. It is pricey but worth it. It is located between Sturgis and Spearfish just off I-90 at Hwy 85 which goes to Deadwood/Lead. Also a short ride to access Spearfish Canyon road.
MANY high end coaches are here. After a days ride it's a blast to hop on the golf cart with a cold one, cruise the park, and check out the hardware!
smokin38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra1 View Post
Make sure you drive through the park to stop amongst the buffalo as the it is amazing being so close. One day we rode to Devils Tower. A long trip but worth it. It is also nice to ride the needles both ways to get different views. Not going this year as the daughter is getting married. Probably shouldn't miss that.
PS don't honk your horn at them this guy did ,I wonder what he told his ins agent how his grill got trashed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trip 221.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	491.1 KB
ID:	70685  
bulldog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:12 PM   #12
rbr

Entegra Owners Club
Passing thru the Black Hills area now. Staying at Rafter J Bar Ranch - good location, nice scenery, wide open sites, strong wifi but terrible internet, and way too pricey for what you get. fwiw....

Talked to some folks in a grocery in Rapid City as we passed thru - said they're expecting 800,000-1,000,000 folks for the rally next year!
rbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:23 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
There are a couple campgrounds in Spearfish. Close to good riding and about 50 from Stugis on the interstate. Chris's campground is one of them, not sure of the other. Definitely raise their prices for the event and pack the people in. It is affiliated with Good Sam.

We generally go the week before. Enough of the madness is starting that we are glad to leave a couple days before the real event begins.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:34 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Just got back, although rode our bike and stayed with friends in Rapid this time. But I've been there 20 times or more for past rallies, most often with our old monaco and race trailer. Here are my thoughts.

As Gordon mentioned, Chris' campground in Spearfish is nice. Its relatively quiet, lots of trees and grass. Nice folks. I'd call early.

Have stayed at Glencoe and its big, easy to get to. Not cheap and watch out if it rains. Sites turn to gumbo.

As the traffic north of town has increased, out towards glenco, the chip, broken spoke etc, traffic into and out of town is a mess. There is a short cut that dumps you out east of town on the freeway, but its gravel.

I did stay at Glenco a year ago and it wasn't my thing.

Tilford Gulch is o.k. but you have to work at getting a level site.
Susie's camp on the freeway is pretty good and relatively close to town.

Have friends that stay at shade valley every year, but again, its north of town.

Elkview is close, on the opposite side of the freeway as Susie's camp. o.k but nothign special.

Days End is right at exit to lazelle street. I've had a decent time there.

I'd have to say that of the places I've stayed, my favorite is Chris' in Spearfish. We'll probably call and get reservations for next year.
courtjester is offline   Reply With Quote