Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2011, 09:14 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Sturgis SD Bike Rally

Wife and have decided that next years vacation will be a trip to Sturgis SD for the annual bike rally. Planning on pulling the Harly behind our motorhome on a trailer.

Has anyone made the trip before? Anyone have any recommendations on campgrounds? Any other recommendations?

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2011, 09:29 PM   #2

The choice of campgrounds depends on how much of a party animal you are. Most of the ones in Sturgis cater to the party type but as you get down to Hill City, Rapid City or even Custer you will find quiet campgrounds you will enjoy.

We will be at the KOA in Rapid City on Highway 44 from April to October and we have a lot of rally goers there for 3 weeks during the rally.

Strongly suggest that you make reservations now for August as they will be full.

Jim Gehlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:03 PM   #3

Another non-partying town is Keystone, SD. There are RV parks there with a view of Mt. Rushmore too. Be careful out there, every year motorcyclists are killed just because of heavy traffic. We were on our way East from Sturgis, just West of Wall, when I noticed- no Westbound traffic. I got on the CB to find out why; the reason, a multiple motorcycle wreck closed the Westbound side of the interstate. When we got to the crash site there were 6-8 cycles loaded onto a flatbed trailer, and another 7-10 parked in the median. No autos seemed to be involved, and I never heard any cause.
Three ambulances left the scene after we were within sight of the wreck site.
Have a great time, and be safe!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:30 AM   #4

It is a really fantastic area, but big. We went through ahead of Bike Week in July 2010. Spent 3 nights in the Badlands NP, 10 at Bulldog Creek RV Park in Sturgis and then 3 in Belle Fourche. The owner of Bulldog told us that she makes all her money for the year during Bike Week. The third stop was to day trip over to Devils Tower. From Bulldog in Sturgis it was lots of driving. Custer SP (we wanted to stay here, but is was booked because of the 4th), Wind Cave NP, Jewel Cave NM, Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Bear Butte SP, Deadwood. . . Tons to see and do. Lots of great drives. But Sturgis outside of Bike Week had nothing to offer and was pretty much a dump in our opinion as compared to Deadwood or Rapid City. The SD Air & Space Museum is also worth a visit.

We stopped in Bowman ND after leaving and got talking with the mgr at the local golf course. He told us that they get people there for Bike Week as people can't find any place closer. Bowman is 120 miles north of Belle Fourche, so as others have posted, plan early. It is worth the trip and it is high on our must return list. Happy travels,

Bob
Old 12-21-2011, 10:32 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you are going to go to Hill City, SD I recommend the Rafter J RV Park. A lot of these parks are fairly full for the rally week and 2-3 weeks leading up to the rally. You may want to make your decision relatively soon and start calling for reservations. I stayed in the Hill City KOA and it is the ONLY campground we have ever stayed at where we had something stolen.

Staying at Hill City will also allow you to visit Mt. Rushmore, Custer State Park and Crazy Horse Monument and Wind Cave Park.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:23 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
My nephews and wives are looking at this as well. Maybe we'll run into you (figuratively).
Old 12-25-2011, 10:18 AM   #7

A great time there. Hauled my Harley on a trailer with the rv. No problem, Stayed south of Deadwood at Trout Haven. There a a lot of places to stay but you have to make your reserv now! We go for the week ahead of the rally and then the first weekend. Many, Many people there.

D n D
28' Pinnacle
232 Signal Co.
Supporting 5th Special Forces
Bien Hoa, Vung Tau, Xuan Loc RVN
1965-1966
U.S. ARMY
Old 12-26-2011, 09:31 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinebear View Post

232 Signal Co.
Supporting 5th Special Forces
Bien Hoa, Vung Tau, Xuan Loc RVN
1965-1966
U.S. ARMY
I was in the signal corp when I first joined the Army in 76. 05C, Radio teletype operator. Didn't do Viet Nam, but I would imagine the equipment hadn't changed a lot from then till 76.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:45 AM   #9

There is a camp ground one block off the main street in Custer. 5000 ft elevation so it isn't soo hot and you are against all the traffic when you travel around. Right next to Custer State Park. French Creek RV. They even have a cookout every night and it was $5 last time there. Kind of tight but I've been going there for about 6 years in an Essex. Missed last year. I think it's $25/night full hookup..Good water and cable.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:51 PM   #10

Wwolfpack Fan,
I was also a radio teletype operator, Went to scholl at Fort Gordon Georgia. Then to Germany for 18 months Then I volunteered for Vietnam and 30 days later I was on my way. Thanks for your service.
pinebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:52 PM   #11

Thanks I will check out the French Creek Rv site . Will probably start going every other year or so now. Getting up there. Also would like to check out other rallies.

pinebear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rally