Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-16-2016, 09:41 AM   #1

Suggestions for monthly RV park near Tucson or Casa Grande

Our plan for launching into the full timing life is to start with a 2 or 3 month stay near Tucson. Deb has family in Phoenix so we'd be visiting a lot. We have a 38 ft. 2005 monaco knight PDQ. We are on a budget, I.e. cost is a factor. So far the prices seem to range from 500 to 800 a month plus electricity.

Another question is would it be reasonable to not get a reservation, I.e. arriving down there mid Dec to Early Jan will there still be monthly available?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2016, 11:43 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickndebw View Post
Our plan for launching into the full timing life is to start with a 2 or 3 month stay near Tucson. Deb has family in Phoenix so we'd be visiting a lot. We have a 38 ft. 2005 monaco knight PDQ. We are on a budget, I.e. cost is a factor. So far the prices seem to range from 500 to 800 a month plus electricity.
Another question is would it be reasonable to not get a reservation, I.e. arriving down there mid Dec to Early Jan will there still be monthly available?
Rickndebw
If 66 miles from Phoenix, 64 miles from Tucson, 36 miles from Casa Grande is near enough for you... try Desert Gardens RV park near Florence AZ. (520-868-3800).... ask about their "first timer rental special".
Desert Gardens - Arizona RV Park Resort - AZ RV Park is a 55 plus AZ RV Resort

Old 10-16-2016, 11:54 AM   #3

Our criteria for RV parks, especially for long term stays are quiet, decent neighborhood, roomy sites and decent facilities.

We spent a couple of winters at Voyager RV Park and for the most part liked it. Pretty spendy in Jan Feb and Mar. The sites are a little tight but the facilities are about as nice as your going to find. You can hear the trains in the distance and a little noise from the freeway. There is some jet noise from the Air Force Base, during the day for the most part, and usually not too loud. The exception is when the F-16's are flying. They are so loud if you are outside, you have to stop your conversation until they pass.

I have stayed at LazyDays KOA when getting my RV serviced but I would not stay there long term. Spaces are not too tight, facilities are OK but it's a So So neighborhood and pretty noisy. Lots of sirens at night.

I've never stayed at the following places but I have visited to check them out.

Prince of Tucson: spaces pretty tight, right next to the freeway so it's noisy however they just put in an overpass on the train crossing so maybe there will be less train noise.

Rincon West: Nice place but So So neighborhood, no freeway or train noise, but it's on the approach to Tucson International. I was there for a half hour or so and there were jets flying over every few minutes. It may not be like that all the time but I knew it wasn't for me.

Rincon East: I would consider staying there long term. Decent Neighborhood, no freeway or train noise. It's an older park, smaller than the others mentioned above, mostly park models, sites are a little tight, facilities are minimal but seemed to be well maintained.

Rincon East: I have never stayed there but I would consider this place. It's in a quiet neighborhood, no freeway or train noise. Spaces are a little tight. Facilities are OK.

Western Way: I liked this place but my wife didn't want to stay there because it was too far out. Very quiet. Decent neighborhood. Not a large park.

Casa Grande
Palm Creek RV Resort: We stayed there a few days several years ago. Nice place, especially if your a golfer, pretty spendy.

Val Vista RV: We stayed there a week, it was OK. Reasonably priced. Sites were not too tight, Facilities were OK. It's a way out from the center of Case Grande but frankly there's not in Casa Grande anyhow.

As far as showing up without reservations, I'd say it's a crapshoot. I'm sure you are aware that your dealing with the busy season. There may be sites available but they won't be the best sites. I wouldn't make a three month commitment without knowing if I liked the park but I'm sure some folks do. You may get a little discount by booking for three months but there's nothing stopping you from spend a month here and a month there to see what appeals to you.

By the way, when your evaluating the neighborhood, take note if the RV Park perimeter fence is topped with razor wire. That's a good indication of what's outside.

Hopefully you'll hear opinions. What's right for me is not necessarily right for someone else.

AKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 11:58 AM   #4

Our criteria for RV parks, especially for long term stays are quiet, decent neighborhood, roomy sites and decent facilities.

We spent a couple of winters at Voyager RV Park and for the most part liked it. Pretty spendy in Jan Feb and Mar. The sites are a little tight but the facilities are about as nice as your going to find. You can hear the trains in the distance and a little noise from the freeway. There is some jet noise from the Air Force Base, during the day for the most part, and usually not too loud. The exception is when the F-16's are flying. They are so loud if you are outside, you have to stop your conversation until they pass.

I have stayed at LazyDays KOA when getting my RV serviced but I would not stay there long term. Spaces are not too tight, facilities are OK but it's a So So neighborhood and pretty noisy. Lots of sirens at night.

I've never stayed at the following places but I have visited to check them out.

Prince of Tucson: spaces pretty tight, right next to the freeway so it's noisy however they just put in an overpass on the train crossing so maybe there will be less train noise.

Rincon West: Nice place but So So neighborhood, no freeway or train noise, but it's on the approach to Tucson International. I was there for a half hour or so and there were jets flying over every few minutes. It may not be like that all the time but I knew it wasn't for me.

Rincon East: I would consider staying there long term. Decent Neighborhood, no freeway or train noise. It's an older park, smaller than the others mentioned above, mostly park models, sites are a little tight, facilities are minimal but seemed to be well maintained.

Western Way: I liked this place but my wife didn't want to stay there because it was too far out. Very quiet. Decent neighborhood. Not a large park. Beautiful Sunsets.

Casa Grande
Palm Creek RV Resort: We stayed there a few days several years ago. Nice place, especially if your a golfer, pretty spendy.

Val Vista RV: We stayed there a week, it was OK. Reasonably priced. Sites were not too tight, Facilities were OK. It's a way out from the center of Case Grande but frankly there's not in Casa Grande anyhow.

As far as showing up without reservations, I'd say it's a crapshoot. I'm sure you are aware that your dealing with the busy season. There may be sites available but they won't be the best sites. I wouldn't make a three month commitment without knowing if I liked the park but I'm sure some folks do. You may get a little discount by booking for three months but there's nothing stopping you from spending a month here and a month there to see what appeals to you.

By the way, when your evaluating the neighborhood, take note if the RV Park perimeter fence is topped with razor wire. That's a good indication of what's outside.

Hopefully you'll hear opinions. What's right for me is not necessarily right for someone else.

AKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 01:04 PM   #5

You could try Justins Diamond J just west of Tucson.. $539 a month includes everthing.. cash or check.. no credit cards.. Reservations pretty much needed there too.. This will be our 5th winter staying there.. In Feb, the Gem and Mineral show are in town as is the Rodeo.. Tucson fills up really fast for that..

Justin's Diamond J RV Park, Tucson, AZ Home Page
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:05 PM   #6

If you're going to visit Phoenix often I'd highly suggest you stay in the area. I'm sure there are reasonable parks with no frills. Try in Apache Junction rather than Phoenix, itself.

Here are Apache Junction's parks and reviews to get you started. Notice there's a link for the websites for most of them. You can search for other cities, also.

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions...pache-junction

Tucson would be a long drive for day visits.

We're not fans of Casa Grande but there are some reasonable parks there, if needed.

Since you're full-timers, are you members of the Escapees RV Club? If so, they have a park in the Wickenburg area at Congress and also in Casa Grande. It would be worthwhile to join. I think it's $40/year. It's a great organization for full-timers. Notice there are Rainbow parks and SKP Co-op parks. Congress is a Rainbow Park and Casa Grande is a SKP Co-op park. Look in the black left column for the Co-op park 'clicky'. There's also a great Co-Op park in Benson, AZ but too far to travel to Phoenix for day trips.

https://escapees.com/support/parking/travel-guide?id=20
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:42 PM   #7

http://www.viewpointrv.com/
Pete1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 06:43 PM   #8

We will be returning to Voyager in Tucson for our 4th year. It's a large park with many park models, stick built houses, modular houses and rv's. You can be as busy as you want or not, classes for everything, 3 pools, 2 Jacuzzi's, pickleball, entertainment, a restaurant onsite, dog groomer, beauty salon. I would guess it at $675 plus elec. People are friendly, we love it

missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote