Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:41 PM   #1
Suggestions for Northern California

The wife and kids would like to head to northern California from Oregon for spring break the last week of march. We were looking at the Shasta/Redding area.

Hoping to get opinions of where to stay and possible kid friendly things to do. Also somewhat pet friendly, can't leave the dumb lab home alone. We will have our Jeep behind us so we can go look around the country.

We have looked at the Durango RV park website and a few others like, Mountain Gate, Red Bluff RV Park, Jackson Ranch, and JGW.

We just don't want to end up in a dumpy place with obnoxious neighbors up partying until 1:00am.

We had a bad experience one time up here in Oregon. The people across from us were camped in there 1979 firebird and had the weber set up on the trunk lid. The guy was yelling at his wife to turn up the radio because he could hear one down at the other end of the park. All of this while he was drinking his beer in one hand and gnawing on the whole steak off the grill with the fork in the other hand. Wasn't quite sure how to explain that to the kids. It was entertaining to watch though.

72ih is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2012, 09:10 PM   #2
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Hey 72ih,
My wife and I and our (7yorkies) just stayed this past weekend at Durango Park. It is pretty much right off the Highway and you can walk to grocery store. It is fairly new with long pull through concrete pads. Very clean place. The Sacramento river is right there for fishing and walking. The pool was cold but the hot tub was hot. The showers are closer to the river sites which I rode my bike to in the mornings. Day trips can be to Lake Shasta, Mt Lassen area, and The Trinity lake area..I would say you wont see a BBQ on the back of a car...
just my thoughts..good luck with your trip..

Life is nothing but a dream,
We only go around once, so never miss a chance to smile.......
barlin44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:37 PM   #3
I would recommend Mountain Gate, its a very nice and clean park, kid and pet friendly, they have a continental breakfast every morning consisting of coffee, hot coco, English muffins, bagels and cinnamon rolls, mmm! lol, Pat and Jody are the owners and are very nice, they have a hiking trail and do bonfires and karaoke on Friday nights. The Shasta caverns are 1 exit up and just got rated a national monument, I haven't been yet but I plan on going soon. They even have a RV detail guy who's very good. Its very quiet, no loud or obnoxious people. I went to stay at JGW and after receiving a very snobby attitude from the manager I decided not to stay there. I cant speak for the others but you cant go wrong with mountain gate.
Krazzykitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:58 PM   #4
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One you did not mention was Premier RV in Redding---quiet well maintained nice trees creek running through.

Oregon has several Premier Parks all the same ownership all nice.
I do all my own stunts
03 Dolphin LX 6355, Workhorse W22, 8.1 vortec, 04 CR-V, Blue Ox, Brake Pro----Norm, Barb and
Doc(He's a PhD)
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:07 PM   #5
Thor Owners Club
check out rvparkreviews.com. Its all reviews by RVers. Its been our best friend since we started RVing. Have a great holiday, we are heading out to Seattle tomorrow.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:21 PM   #6
Originally Posted by Krazzykitt View Post
I went to stay at JGW and after receiving a very snobby attitude from the manager I decided not to stay there. I cant speak for the others but you cant go wrong with mountain gate.
That was our first impression from their web page. The list of rules is a little more extensive than we have ever seen before.

Mountain Gate seems to be the one we are leaning towards with Durango a close second. I guess we will see availability and make a decision from there.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:39 PM   #7
Anyone stay at Green Acres? That was another one my wife looked at.

I totally forgot about Premier. Drive by it a lot in Eugene, we only live north of that one by about 15-20 miles.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:01 AM   #8
Stayed at Durango also last weekend and thought it was one of the nicest rv parks. Spaces are extremely large very comfortable. Close to I5 but really didnt hear much road noise. Staff very accommodating. Would highly recommend
Mspring21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:04 AM   #9
Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
we think Green Acres in Redding is a great place
Camping in Shasta Cascade, California

have fun!
regards, pdq

peter & larry... tiffin 2015 allegro 36LA ~ chevy 2009 HHR tow
we're here... http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=12260
our blog... http://wllrtr.tumblr.com
pdq_bc is offline   Reply With Quote