Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2014, 05:10 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
A little off topic but looks like readers here could answer. Someone staying in Rapid City and wanting to drive a truck to Sturgis, is there parking, and can you get around?

Never been, on bucket list, no longer can ride!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2014, 07:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
A little off topic but looks like readers here could answer. Someone staying in Rapid City and wanting to drive a truck to Sturgis, is there parking, and can you get around?

YES! Parking for vehicles is fairly easy to find, but during the bike event it will be pay to park. The evening storms forced us to take the truck to Sturgis one evening, and I found parking at a church for a small fee. The bike event area can be walked, but it is spread out and you will be tired afterwards. We parked in the middle of town and circled the 2 main roadways where the vendors were.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:17 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post

Yes, when we were there in 2012, I had to take the truck into town a few times due to recurring pain from a back injury and wasn't comfortable riding the bike. .... parking was easy to find a block or 2 from Main St. Sometimes we were lucky and found free on-street parking, once or twice we paid about $5 to park
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:56 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by sctdixon View Post
This will be the first time with our MH and trailer at Sturgis.

Anybody have any suggestions on campgrounds that aren't too crazy and can handle a big rig? Preferably somehwhat close to Sturgis.

I know it's a ways out but you got to make RSVP's early.
Is your goal to hang out in Sturgis and party all night or to ride primarily and visit Sturgis?

I ride primarily and make a trip into Sturgis once or twice for the afternoon. I like to stay in Hill City, very centrally located to the best riding in my opinion. I am typically going against the heaviest traffic, if I head South from Hill City I am a good 1-2 hours (depending on how hard they hit it the night before) ahead of the folks who stayed closest to Sturgis. It is a very scenic ride to Sturgis and I also don't have the crowds to deal with, better restaurants and not as long of a wait when I want to go out.

I have stayed at Crooked Creek a couple of times, not room for your trailer at your site, but I have always had access to my trailer, I like to put my bike into the trailer for the dew and in case of storms, especially hail which is fairly common this time of year. Rafter J I haven't stayed at but they have some very long sites available.

If you want to stay closest to Sturgis and be more a part of the scene, I can't offer a lot of advice, but I think you will find plenty of options for the way you want to experience the Rally. Good Luck and be safe riding, never ceases to amaze me how many accidents I see.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote