Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2014, 09:35 AM   #1

Suggestions for Sturgis Bike Ralley 2014

This will be the first time with our MH and trailer at Sturgis.

Anybody have any suggestions on campgrounds that aren't too crazy and can handle a big rig? Preferably somehwhat close to Sturgis.

I know it's a ways out but you got to make RSVP's early.
sctdixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2014, 12:35 PM   #2

I'd stay in Rapid City. Some good RV parks there and close enough to the mayhem (Sturgis).
My advice is to get up early to ride all the beautiful roads as all the partiers are still in their sleeping bag with a hangover. After that, it's usually motorcycle gridlock everywhere.
Have fun, it's always an unforgettable experience.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:57 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
We have stayed here before . . . pretty good place, easy access, only 18 miles from Sturgis, maybe 15 minutes from Rapid City.

Three Flags RV Park - Home
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:40 PM   #4

We've stayed at Three Flags several times when passing through. They told us they are one of the few rv parks that don't raise the rates during Sturgis, right off I 90 and convenient to Sturgis
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by missourijan View Post
We've stayed at Three Flags several times when passing through. They told us they are one of the few rv parks that don't raise the rates during Sturgis, right off I 90 and convenient to Sturgis
I just checked their website. They do increase their rates during the ralley time but is still reasonable compared to others I've looked into.

Thanks everybody for the info!
sctdixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:52 PM   #6

We know Lazy J in Rapid City jacks their rates to over $70/day during Sturgis. Make sure you get rates in writing. We were lucky that we found out before we got there & changed our plans to after Sturgis.

Martha
Old 01-06-2014, 02:55 PM   #7

sturgis

Are there any areas to boondock within a reasonable distance of Sturgis?
smarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:05 AM   #8

The last few times we've stayed at Glencoe. They have huge sites, don't even need to unhook the trailer, full hookups, a great happy hour everyday at their onsite bar. Bands daily. A short walk across the street to the Full Throttle and a 3 mile or so bike ride into town and Main Street. It used to be pretty crazy, but the last couple years it has toned down.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:43 AM   #9

Boondocking......... Boulder Canyon between Deadwood and Sturgis. BML on south side of rt 85 going east towards Sturgis.Go early its a blast.
AME Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:14 PM   #10

A Sturgis RV park. It is a very nice park. You can walk to town and be in the middle of it all, yet it is quiet and clean. It is pricy for the rally.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:39 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Ive stayed at Glencoe 11 times it is a great place to camp at Sturgis.
Thor 37GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:50 PM   #12

Just a little FYI - Vendors are probably the only ones that go by the Rally schedule and they don't do the greatest job of that either.

I went this past rally (2013) and got there on Monday. On the way there, I saw so many people LEAVING! So many, I thought I had the wrong dates. It seems, as I heard from others, that a great number of people go early and ride the area before the rally. There was still a LOT of people there, just NOT as many as I thought and those I passed going the opposite direction would have been what I expected. We stayed between Sturgis and Rapid City at Thunder Gulch. Nice CG but no hookups where I was. I used my bike trailer as a camper/tent, and used the CGs facilities.

Like I said about the vendors, we (someone in my group of 12) found a souvenir that was custom made to display the names of those that went. 4 of 12 bought Friday night (the group had separated to 2 smaller groups downtown) and at least 4 more of us went early Saturday morning to get our own souvenir memento and the vendor was already packing up and refused to make us our memento and we had cash and he had the computer design already done from the others the night before. So, if you see something you want, get it when you see it.

Happy riding and may I suggest taking the round trip train ride between Hill City and Keystone. The road going beside the tracks is a nice ride on your bike too.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:42 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I just booked at threeflags rv park in Black Hawk SD. 18 miles from Sturgis. They still have 30amp with water available for 35/nite (2 people) and 30amp/water/sewer/catv for 45/nite (2 people). Sites are pull through 80x30
Fatfendr38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:57 PM   #14

Hey there Dixon, our first time this year too, but we' re going to the Chip. Keep in touch maybe can hook up on a ride! Beast.
04Beast is offline   Reply With Quote