Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2015, 09:56 AM   #1

Suggestions Late Aug

We live in Western Mass and are having a hard time deciding on where to visit next Aug. We plan on 12 days for this trip.

Looking to drive less than 400 miles...

Have a 16 year old who will be joining us.

Niagara Falls is one idea, but is their enough for us to do for 12 days?

Lancaster is a second idea?

Any other?

Thanks all

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2015, 03:42 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by edrayman View Post
We live in Western Mass and are having a hard time deciding on where to visit next Aug. We plan on 12 days for this trip.

Looking to drive less than 400 miles...

Have a 16 year old who will be joining us.

Niagara Falls is one idea, but is their enough for us to do for 12 days?

Lancaster is a second idea?

Any other?

Thanks all

Why not consider Cape May County NJ - plenty of campgrounds in the area. More amusements than Disney on the Wildwood Boardwalk and Victorian Cape May, plus the free County Zoo was recently named in the top 10 zoos in the nation. Free Beaches in the Wildwoods, Sightseeing and whale watching boats in Wildwood and Cape May. Just around 300 Miles from Western Mass. Better yet - spend six days in Cape May County and then take the ferry to Delaware and travel 33 miles to Ocean City, MD and spend a six days there. There are several nice RV parks outside of Ocean City, MD and you are only less than a hour for a day trip to see the horses at Chincoteague Island or the space center at Wallops Island. Plus all that Ocean City offers. Less than 400 miles back to Western Mass from Ocean City, MD. Enough variation at both locations to make both older and younger people happy.

Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 06:02 PM   #3

Great idea. Can the truck and fifth wheel go on the ferry? Examples of RV parks in the area.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:10 PM   #4

How about Cherry Hill? Anyone stay their?
Old 12-02-2015, 01:24 PM   #5

I don't know anything about Cherry Hill...or where it is that matter. Here is my two cents worth...I've not been to Niagara Falls (but intend to do so). I agree with your assessment that there would be a limited amount of things to do there for a 16 year olds attention span (both of ours at 16 (they are now 38 and 40 years old ) had short attention spans ... YMMV).

If we had a 16 year old grandchild along with us, and wanted some quality time with a minimum amount of driving from Western MA, I would choose either the Washington DC area (so much history (and history making) and museums in this and surrounding area), or Bar Harbor, Maine (not in the town, but in and around the National Park). Plenty of sights, hikes, and bike (riding). You can always drive into the town of Bar Harbor for shopping and good food. I've been to both of these areas and would return.

What ever you choose, you will be creating a lifelong memory for you and that 16 year old. Enjoy!
Old 12-02-2015, 02:21 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Great idea. Can the truck and fifth wheel go on the ferry? Examples of RV parks in the area.
No problem with taking a truck and fifth wheel on the ferry. I took my 35 foot RV towing my jeep and there are regularly tractor trailers on the ferry. It can be a little costly but it is a nice trip. They also take reservations online which I would recommend. They generally load the RV's and Tractor Trailers first in the center bays.

RE: Cherry Hill - not really a place to go it is a suburb of Camden. Mostly all residential and I know of no Campgrounds nearby.

Cape May County Campgrounds - there are 48 campgrounds in the county and the best list is on the Cape May County website (click here).
I have not stayed at any this close to home but I have a few friends with kids and they did Halloween camping at the Beachcomber Camping Resort and spoke very highly of the place.

At Ocean City Maryland friends with teenagers highly recommend Frontier Town: Ocean City, Maryland Camping because of the many things to do there. There are several others in the area that look pretty nice.
Old 12-02-2015, 03:22 PM   #7

Cherry hill is Washington.

http://www.cherryhillpark.com
Old 12-02-2015, 07:07 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Ooops wrong Cherry Hill - Passed it numerous times making the turn on I-495 taking my kid to college in DC but never stayed there. If you can easily get to the Metro from there that would be a great plus. The Metro is a cheap and easy way to travel. My son's college had a Metro station on campus and he went everywhere in DC on it. I took it a few times visiting him and found it to be a clean safe way to travel in DC.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:08 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmat View Post
Ooops wrong Cherry Hill - Passed it numerous times making the turn on I-495 taking my kid to college in DC but never stayed there. If you can easily get to the Metro from there that would be a great plus. The Metro is a cheap and easy way to travel. My son's college had a Metro station on campus and he went everywhere in DC on it. I took it a few times visiting him and found it to be a clean safe way to travel in DC.
Great campground to see all sites in DC. Metro bus picks up every half hour for 10 min ride to the University of Maryland metro stop. From there quick subway to anywhere in DC area. No need to fight DC traffic or parking. Campground is very nice. Stay there several times each year since my daughter lives in DC.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 10:18 AM   #10

How about Gettysburg?

I checked Ocean City and would needs some ideas of campgrounds? Some look to already be filled...