Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2010, 07:12 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Cool Suggestions on Florida

Hi All.
We purchased our MH a few weeks ago and have spent the last two weeks living on it at an RV park here at home in Austin Texas.... worked a few bugs out, had some unexpected visitors from water (fixed the leaks), Carbon Monoxide (bought a new alarm with readout) it was a false alarm... So now we are ready to HIT THE ROAD. We're heading to Alabama to visit family, on to Atlanta for one day of business... and then we want to just drive down the east coast of Florida, check out some great places on the way, and drive back up the gulf coast on our way back to Texas.
You guys have been great answering all my questions and helping me out of my predicaments..... even if they seemed like stupid questions.
I would love to get your feedback on places to stay, sites to see, things to avoid... etc.
All feedback is much appreciated.
Ed

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2010, 07:23 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is an abundance of places to go and things to do in Florida - up and down the both coast's and of course the Mouse in the middle. If it were me though I would call ahead to get reservations - most campgrounds are pretty full this time of year - snowbirds fill them up real fast.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:20 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Daytona is going full swing with the race next week so you may want to avoid or jump right into the middle of the excitement. Bike Week follows in March with Spring Break.

We like the Daytona tour when a race is not going on. Also Kennedy Space Center. Depending on your timing you can also catch a pre season baseball game.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:49 PM   #4

We like Beverly Beach Camptown, just north of Flagler Beach on A1A. It is a little on the expensive side but you are right on the ocean. St Augustine is a short drive away to the North as well as Daytona to the South. There are lots of safe bicycle paths to ride on along the highway. Have fun.
Indiana Journey
Old 02-14-2010, 02:01 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Some of the places you might wish to consider on the return leg depending upon your schedule and route: Ho Hum RV park @ Carrabelle, FL (right on the gulf), Topsail Hill State Preserve @ Santa Rosa Beach (Destin) (don't miss this one, it's really great - walk to the gulf inside the park), Henderson Beach State Park @ Destin (water & electric w/dump station - walk or drive to the gulf inside the park), Alabama State Park @ Gulf Shores (short drive to the gulf). For overnights on the way back consider Lakeside RV Park, Livingston, LA (I-12, exit 22) and Gulf Coast RV Park, Beaumont, TX (I-10, exit 847 westbound). Both are Good Sam and Passport America.

Have a tremendous trip!!!
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 02:30 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
ED, I-75 from Atlanta to I-10, then east to Jacksonville is a good route and an easy drive. I stayed @ KOA in St.Augustine which is a short drive from the Jacksonville area, and I have to admit, it is a beautiful place. When you continue south, there is also a nice KOA in the Daytona area, as well a really nice campground. Thaey may be a little higher than some, but the service is second to none in my opinion. You can do KOA.com and find them almoost anywhere. Travel safe and happy trails to you and yours.
David G.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:48 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Unfortunately family matters came up and we had to postpone the trip. We are now headed that way but going only as far as Pensacola ... Deep Florida and the Atlantic coast will have to wait. But I can't wait to get there. Next winter I hope to spend a great deal of time there.
Happy weekend
Ed
Old 03-05-2010, 11:44 AM   #8

Smile

Where are you staying in Pensacola? Fort Pickens campground is open.
You can make reservations through NPS.gov. We will be there in 2 weeks.
It is a little bit of heaven!!
Old 03-05-2010, 05:27 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
We've made reservations at:
Pensacola RV Park
3117 Wilde Lake Blvd.
Pensacola, Florida 32526

I'll let you know how it is.
Ed
Old 03-05-2010, 07:41 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Maybe you will get a chance to watch the Blue Angels practice!
Old 03-05-2010, 08:32 PM   #11

I hope we will!! That is always one of the highlights of our trip to the Pensacola area.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:26 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm visiting my Aunt there, and I remember visiting her when I was a kid.... a long long time ago and watching them practice.. It was great... and Pensacola Beach is the most beautiful beach with the whitest sand I've ever seen