Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2010, 09:05 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Question Suggestions on where to go??

We had planned 7 nights at Mackinaw City, Michigan, with our daughter, son-in-law and grandaughter in August, but now they can't go. The husband and I are thinking maybe we'd like to take a different adventure!!! But where, oh where, to go??? We'd like to stay within 12 or 14 hours or LESS from the northern Detroit area of Michigan. We're looking for someplace we haven't been - where we can ride our bikes, do some sightseeing - maybe some historical interests?? We would like a nice luxury campground - meaning full hookup, level pads - gravel or concrete?? Maybe a pool or lake? We'd love to hear your suggestions! We only have one week - and then return to work.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2010, 10:39 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
4 hrs: Traverse City area is very close to you & has many Class A RV resorts (Traverse Bay, Indigo Bluffs, Wild Cherry).
8 - 9 hrs: Wisconsin Dells, WI (KOA or Stand Rock); Gatlinburg, TN (Outdoor Resorts) or over to Lancaster, PA (Spring Gulch, Lake-in-Wood)
12 -14 hrs: Virginia Beach, VA (Outdoor Resorts); Blue Ridge Mtns, NC (Outdoor Resorts or Campfire Lodgings) or Myrtle Beach, SC (Ocean Lakes)

L-

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:43 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Talking

Thank you for the prompt reply! We've been to Traverse City a number of times, but a couple of your other options sound interesting. I've never been to Wisconsin. Is there a lot to see and do? Places to ride our bicycles? We love being close to a town that we can ride our bikes into and explore, etc. We like busy campgrounds - like Ocean Lakes in Myrtle Beach. We were there last spring and LOVED, LOVED, LOVED it!

Keep the suggestions coming! You are all so knowledgeable!
Old 07-15-2010, 03:40 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
For Wisconsin Dells: www.dells.com, www.wisdells.com & www.wisconsindells.com are just some of the websites with info on that area.

Lori-
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
Old 07-19-2010, 08:14 PM   #5

There's a brand new RV Resort built in central Minnesota in the middle of the Brainerd Lakes area called RV Resort Village. They just started construction last spring but it's already one of the nicest RV resorts in the state - blacktop streets, concrete pads, full hookups, cable TV, Wi-Fi. I live in the area and they're right across from the Paul Bunyan Bike Trail that stretches 100 miles - all flat pavement and ideal for bicycling. The Brainerd Lakes area has lots of golf courses, lakes, restaurants, etc. nearby.

Check their website at http://www.rvresortvillage.com
Old 07-20-2010, 08:29 AM   #6

Try Stonewall State Park Resort in Weston, West Virginia. As nice as most Outdoor Resorts I've stayed at, great golf course, two exceptional restaurants in the lodge and pro shop, pool, rental pontoon boats, bike riding. $35 a night versus $70-100 at ORA.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:53 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldChief7155 View Post
Try Stonewall State Park Resort in Weston, West Virginia.
Agreed! This is a campground I use as the yardstick I gauge all others by. Check out my review of it in the Campgrounds section & my photos of it in my albums (click on link in sig). Even though they now charge a fee for campground guests to use the lodge facilities, soaking in that outdoor hot-tub (they have an indoor one too) is HEAVEN!

Lori-
Old 07-29-2010, 06:26 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Exclamation

Thank you, everyone, for the great advice! We have decided to try three luxury RV Resorts in Michigan. We'll be staying three nights at Indigo Bluffs, Empire, Michigan; three nights at Signature RV Resort in Bay Harbor, Michigan; and three nights at Hearthside Grove in Petosky, Michigan. I'll do the reviews upon our return.

Thank you again!
Old 07-29-2010, 12:00 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Shelley,

I talked to a rep from Signature Resorts at their booth at the Affinity Rally we just came back from. Besides his resort & Indigo Bluffs, he also mentioned Hearthside as the other resort to go to when in that area. Have a great time. I look forward to your reviews.

Lori-
Old 07-30-2010, 12:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Shelley,

I talked to a rep from Signature Resorts at their booth at the Affinity Rally we just came back from. Besides his resort & Indigo Bluffs, he also mentioned Hearthside as the other resort to go to when in that area. Have a great time. I look forward to your reviews.

Lori-
Yeah those are probably 3 of the nicest RV resorts in the entire midwest. To the OP, since you're checking out those 3 you may want to check out Traverse Bay RV Resort in Michigan as well. It's tough to go wrong on those 4 RV resorts as they're all extremely upscale, the only downside may be the price tag.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:22 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Try any of the Kentucky State Parks. Big Bone State Resort Park and the Kentucky Horse park are very nice. Big Bone is about 30 miles from Cincinnati and the KY Horse Park is in the heart of horse country near Lexington KY