Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2008, 03:05 PM   #1

For those of you that might be interested in where we stayed and comments, pictures of campgrounds, I just completed our trip report. Enjoy!

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2008, 03:05 PM   #2

For those of you that might be interested in where we stayed and comments, pictures of campgrounds, I just completed our trip report. Enjoy!

Old 09-13-2008, 04:07 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
John,

Great job, thanks for the pics and commentary on the various CG's.

What site do ou use for the interactive map?
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 06:18 PM   #4

I use MS Streets and Trips to create the basic web page and then I do a bunch of modifications to it in Adobe GoLive.

It is time consuming - first I had to create the entire trip in S&T, then export as a web page, then modify the web page. Probably about five or six hours of work, but it is a nice on-line diary for us as well!

Thanks to Jane's diary, it is fairly easy to recreate where/when/what/etc.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:05 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
John,

Thanks for sharing. Great way to spend a few months. Hope Ike wasn't a problem for you.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:27 AM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Thanks for the report on your trip. You went some places that I would like to visit someday. The Grand Canyon RV Park and railroad sounds like a great way to see the Grand Canyon.
It was nice meeting you at the iRV2 rally in Branson. We were right in front of you in the camp ground. We talked about your cat, Ham Radio and your R/C airplane. I hope our paths will cross again someday.

Bill
Old 09-17-2008, 09:05 AM   #7

Hi Bill - it was very nice meeting you as well last year (I do remember.) Grand Canyon RR Park was very nice and Williams is a nice little town. That would be a nice area to summer in but there isn't much to do around Williams (that I'm aware of.)

Old 09-27-2008, 11:08 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
John... Your Current Weather at the ranch page is more than anyone could ask for! What are you using to collect & post the data?

The Grand Canyon RR Park sounds interesting... What would your thoughts be of having an iRV2 Rally there one year? I like the thought of it being by the Grand Canyon..where many families can take advantage of visitng one of the great National Parks and also attending an iRV2 rally...

MM
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 01:30 PM   #9

Hi MM!

If you go to our home page (janeandjohn.org), there are some details about the weather station. Basically you need to be a bit of a geek to put together the system I have. The 'computer' is a hacked Linksys NSLU2 Network Storage Unit about the size of two or three packs of cigarettes running Linux and the application that collects and uploads the weather is called wview. The weather instrument is the Davis VantagePro2 about 25' off the ground on top of my shop. It connects via wireless to the display console in the house and the console connects to the NSLU2 via a USB cable.

Grand Canyon RR Park would be good for a rally but I don't remember what banquet facilities are available. As a bonus, there is a hotel with bar and restaurant a short walk from the RV park. I'll bet we could make arrangements to charter a RR car or two. Lodging and at least one restaurant is available at the Grand Canyon in the area where the train terminates.

Williams (where the RV park is located) is a very small town with a bit of cache due to Route 66 passing through downtown. There isn't much to do there other than using it as a base to explore the area and taking the train. The summers are fairly pleasant there due to the altitude.