Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2014, 10:49 AM   #1

Summer 2015 trip to SD & Yellowstone

Looking for recommendations for campgrds near Custer SD and then Yellowstone for two rigs, each about 60 ft long with trailers, so we prefer pull thrus. No children, traveling June 5-12.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2014, 01:39 PM   #2

We spend a week this summer at West Yellowstone KOA. Lovely park, lots of shade, well kept, large pull throughs. Our premium spot had an adult swinging bench, concrete patio and circular concrete table and benches adequate for 6 adults at dinner. The heated indoor pool was great, and the snack shop/restaurant was pleasant.
It's been many, many years since my stay at Mt.Rushmore area KOA. Actually we were there in our MH during the big annual motorcycle rally. Meet some really nice people and had a great time, even though we have never ridden. Anyway, I remember it as being a nice KOA with a spot large enough for our rig, tow car, and a few tents for the children...like I said, a long time ago.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 02:10 PM   #3

While in Custer, I stayed at Beaver Lake Campground (http://www.beaverlakecampground.net/).. It was nice.. but not sure if it has pull-thru sites...

I rented a car from Custer's Gulch (Welcome | Custers Gulch Campground & RV Park) and it seemed to be a nice place.. and it was just a mile or so from the front entrance to the park..

As for Yellowstone.. Again, not sure about pull-thru sites.. but we stayed at Flagg Ranch, it was about 2 miles from the south entrance... it wasn't anything special, but it was close.. we were out touring everyday.. so the site wasn't important as we didn't spend much time there..

Ultimately.. You are going to have a great time because those are two awesome locations.. best of luck.. and enjoy a beautiful slice of America !!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:29 AM   #4

Rexhall Owners Group
+1 for West Yellowstone KOA . Stayed there a week in Sept. 2012. I have also heard that Grizzly in W. Yellowstone is good. Some will say you should stay inside the park, but SWMBO enjoys the restaurants, and tourist places in West Yellowstone.
Bob
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 01:38 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
We spent 7 days at Grizzly in West Yellowstone last June and found the place to be very nice. It's close to everything in town and a very short drive to the west entrance to the national park. Afterwards, we spent 5 days in Hill City, South Dakota at the Rafter Bar J Ranch. Very nice campground up in the Black Hills and close enough Rapid City to be able to go to Walmart or other stores but well out in the country. It's just a couple of miles to Mt. Rushmore and also Cuter State Park.
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 06:27 PM   #6
rbr

Entegra Owners Club
Stayed 15-nights at Grizzly in West Yellowstone this August and highly recommend it. Very clean, very well kept grounds, great staff and excellent paved pull-thru sites.
rbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 02:46 PM   #7

We also stayed twice this year at Grizzly RV.. June and late Sep. we especially enjoyed the second stay because most kids were back in school and less crowded in the park..saw two Grizzlies, some elk, and of course lots of buffalo.. Fly fished in 4 rivers in the park. Wife likes grizzly rv because it's 2 blocks from shopping at nite, rv park is immaculate
Cvsteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 03:01 PM   #8

Stayed at Custer's Gulch in the motor home. I had no car with me at the time so I rented a scooter from the park & did the area on 2 wheels. The place is very close to Custer State Park as well as the town of Custer and the Crazy Horse Monument. Took a few hours and drove the wildlife loop- Those bison are HUGE when you don't have a cage of steel surrounding you. I would stay there again
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 06:00 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Custer we stayed at Rafter Bar J and at Yellowstone at Fishing Creek. I highly recommend both
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote