Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2016, 05:35 PM   #1

Summer in New England

We will be traveling through the north east this summer and are looking for big rig friendly resorts off of Interstate/ State highways to facilitate easy access. Coach is almost 43'. We will have our toad and will do day trips around the New England area and possibly into Canada from base camp. If possible looking for 50A, water & sewer, cable, paved roads and concrete pads. Trying to make some decisions soon so we can make some reservations. Thanks to all for the help in advance.

Greg & Lynn (Full-timers)
2011 42QBH Tiffin Phaeton
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland

Greg & Lynn (Full-Timing)
2011 Phaeton 42 QBH / Spartan Chassis
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2016, 06:42 PM   #2

How familiar are you with the big-rig RVing scene in New England?

The campgrounds tend to have fairly small sites, especially compared with what you find in the western part of the U.S. Often a lot of trees to present clearance issues. Also, you'll encounter a LOT of seasonal campers, leaving relatively few sites available for short-term stays. (That was my biggest culture shock.) Some campgrounds are 100% seasonal.

Campgrounds there are much more like real campgrounds than RV parks. Your description fits in with what I've seen of, say, snowbird parks, with full hookups and concrete pads, and those aren't the norm up there.

I don't know about the availability of cable, but suspect it's not all that prevalent. 50-amp sites seemed to be pretty rare, too.

Also, day trips in the toad are very possible, but you should adjust expected travel times to reflect going more like 45 mph than 60, and sometimes slower than that.

I'm not trying to scare you, but traveling in that area is a challenge in a big rig. It can be done, but most of the time I would have preferred to be in a little bitty RV. I think you'll have a much easier time if your expectations are in line with what's actually available.

As for specific recommendations, our site at Narrows Too campground in Bar Harbor, Maine (close to Acadia National Park) was wide open and easy to navigate, with gravel roads and sites. But my understanding is that the area gets quite booked up (we were there after Columbus Day--one of the rare RV parks still open then).

Bar Harbor Campground doesn't take reservations, so that's an option if you can't get a reservation elsewhere and you can arrive well before the weekend starts.

Good luck!

Old 03-21-2016, 11:27 PM   #3

I might suggest Meredith Woods CG off NH Rte 104 in Meredith, NH. Very centrally located - about an hour from the White Mountains, an hour from the seacoast, etc. I live nearby, so haven't stayed there, but friends have and they enjoyed it. ST

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 04:59 AM   #4

If your going to be doing day trips, which is what we do. We centrally locate ourselves to make it easier. Summer is a busy time in N.E., especially the south of Maine. We spend the summer there quite often. We'll stay in the northern part in Harrington, ME., toward the center in Bucksport, or we'll spend some time just outside Bangor at Pumpkin Patch RV Park. Just about anywhere from Portland south will be pretty busy with lots of slow traffic in summer along the coast. Keep in mind the further north you go, the cheaper the lobstah.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
How familiar are you with the big-rig RVing scene in New England?

The campgrounds tend to have fairly small sites, especially compared with what you find in the western part of the U.S. Often a lot of trees to present clearance issues. Also, you'll encounter a LOT of seasonal campers, leaving relatively few sites available for short-term stays. (That was my biggest culture shock.) Some campgrounds are 100% seasonal.
We've been going up to New England that last few summers and agree with Oatmeal's assessment. Also, many of the CG's have old electric systems that are over taxed on hot summer days when everyone cranks up the AC. Low voltage was so common so I bought Autoformer and proper surge guard.
That being said, we will be going back again this summer. I just suggest you look at the various tools available on the web to scout out intended CG's before you call and make reservations. Google Earth is a great tool, especially when you use the measuring tool which will allow you to measure the size of sites,roads,etc. to see if they are suitable.
We are 43' and tow a pickup truck and have been able to find places that don't present us problems with access. Just takes a bit of homework.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:07 AM   #6

summer in new england

we love ACES HIGH RV PARK NEAR MYSTIC SEAPORT CONN..CLEAN AND EASY ACCESS TO SITES
Old 03-22-2016, 03:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
We are 43' and tow a pickup truck and have been able to find places that don't present us problems with access. Just takes a bit of homework.
Can you name a few? I like to keep a running list of possibilities, and have been known to plan my travels around them.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:29 PM   #8
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Can you name a few? I like to keep a running list of possibilities, and have been known to plan my travels around them.
Normandy Farms in Foxboro MA is a large place, easily handles big rigs. You need to make sure you have reserved a site ahead of time though, even as large as they are, they will fill up.
bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:35 PM   #9

This is great, keep the suggestions coming! Any nice parks in any of the NE states would be good.

Greg & Lynn (Full-timers)
2011 42QBH Tiffin Phaeton
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland

Greg & Lynn (Full-Timing)
2011 Phaeton 42 QBH / Spartan Chassis
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:22 PM   #10

Lake George RV Park In Lake George, NY Big rig friendly, So much to offer look at the site.
Lake George RV Park: Lake George New York RV Camping At Its Finest

Boothbay Me. Shorehills RV Park
Shore Hills Campground, Boothbay, Maine - in Maine's beautiful mid-coast region

White Mountains of New Hampshire. Very close to so many mountain adventures.
NH Family Camping at Mountain Lake Campground RV Park & Log Cabins

Good luck!
Old 03-23-2016, 07:51 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Check out Sandy Shores RV Resort - Home It's an ownership campground in Warren Maine. The owners advertise monthly rentals, but most will do short term.....Bruce
Old 03-23-2016, 09:42 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Hampton Beach State Park in Hampton NH has full hookup sites right on the water. Big enough for any size coach. Very nice seaside town.

In Bar Harbor there are 4 or 5 good campgrounds. Check online.

Minuteman RV Park, outside Boston is very nice and probably the closest campground to Boston.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Like you , our destination is Narrows Too where we will spend 6 weeks. Other places that we stop at include Shore Hills in Booth Bay, Newburg NY KOA, Bayley's in southern Maine, Bentley's in Arundel, ME, Hickories in Owego NY, going to try Bear Creek in Bristol this year, haven't been there yet, there are several others, just don't remember off the top of my head.
Like I said, I scope them out on Google earth to see if they will work. Many times websites and review sites are overly optimistic about RV sizes that are supported.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Hampton Beach State Park in Hampton NH has full hookup sites right on the water. Big enough for any size coach. Very nice seaside town.
This one illustrates one of the issues of touring New England in an RV. I checked the online reservation page, and it is almost completely booked from Memorial Day through Labor Day. There is one night available on June 7. Now, starting on Memorial Day Monday, you could actually stay four nights in a row, but you'd have to change sites every night. And that's the total availability all summer--5 nights.

(They say the max length is 40' for these sites, but I assume a 43' could fit.)

Even after Labor Day, there's no weekend availability at all, and you definitely won't have the place to yourself during the week.

This is a beach campground, so you expect it to be popular and crowded, but it does illustrate the amount of demand for sites in New England. And presumably, none of the sites are seasonal and all are at least theoretically available, unlike a lot of campgrounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
Lake George RV Park In Lake George, NY Big rig friendly, So much to offer look at the site.
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention another thing about campsites up there: sticker shock. This one is $98/night in the summer.

Not unexpected, since there's not much land, a lot of people, and a short season. But it's something to be prepared for.

Oh, and another issue in that squeezy part of the country is getting propane in a big motorhome. The propane fill at the Tractor Supply on Highway 1 in Scarborough, Maine, was accessible in our motorhome, although we had to back in through an opening in the fence. The price was $2.29/gallon, while it was $3.25/gallon at Suncoast RV 5 miles down the road.

It's near Wild Duck Campground in Scarborough, which I haven't been to but it's on my list as having sites for big rigs, plus it's an adult campground, in case you're not traveling with kids.

Wild Duck Campground RV Park - Scarborough, Maine Campground