Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2016, 01:37 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Summer RV Park in Michigan

We may be moving to Michigan (Ann Arbor), where we'd buy a sticks-n-bricks home, but bring our Class-A RV for weekends and occasional long trips. We aren't retired yet but try to get in the RV at least once a month during weekends, if not more.

I'm having a lot of difficulty finding a place to store our motor home near Ann Arbor, except for outdoor parking lots associated with storage places. None of the storage places I have found online offer indoor bays that are long enough for our motorhome. So it seems our local option for storage is to store it outside with no electricity.

Instead I am considering the possibility of renting a seasonal slot at a nice RV park that's within an hour or so of Ann Arbor. That way it'll be plugged into 50 amp, keeping batteries fresh and refrigerator cold, and can act as our "summer-home" for some weekends, and our "storage place" when we want to take it elsewhere.

Any of our members living in Michigan have some recommendations of places to consider that are within about an hour's drive from Ann Arbor? Or places to stay away from (ex. crime, or other reason)?

Rob

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2016, 05:44 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think the Detroit RV show is going on now through this weekend.

I would go there and look for storage facilities or campgrounds for that side of the state.

Gordy

Old 02-11-2016, 05:57 PM   #3

I think you'll find that Michigan campgrounds will be closed in winter so you probably wouldn't have access during winter. They probably won't even plow out the campground.

There's lots of open property around and perhaps someone you will work with will have extra space for you to store it, including in a pole barn. Finding indoor space is pricey and difficult. You might call some RV dealers to see if it can be stored on their lot for a fee.

Also look at RVParkReview.com to try to find parks around Ann Arbor west or north, preferably - not toward Detroit and just start calling. There are so many wonderful places to take your RV in Michigan that planning on getting a seasonal would really lock you in to one spot.

Also look on the local Craig's List for RV storage. That's how some farmers make some extra money. Good luck!

https://annarbor.craigslist.org/search/prk There are some pole barns listed here.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 02:12 PM   #4

I can recommend Sandy Pines RV Resort in Dorr, Michigan. It's about 120 miles from the Ann Arbor area, just south of Grand Rapids and 1/2 hour from Lake Michigan. It's an amazing campground, with so many amenities, too many to list. Check it out at www.sandypines.com. This park would allow you the flexibility of having a "summer home" by parking your unit on a site and accessing it anytime you wish, even in the winter.

Once you check it out let me know if you have any questions. We have a place up there. Good luck.

Rose
Old 02-16-2016, 08:21 PM   #5

Sorry I just noticed this posting. I can recommend River Ridge RV Resort near Stanwood, Mi. It is about 12 miles S. of Big Rapids, a nice community. River Ridge is on the Muskegon River so has nice River access for viewing, boating, fishing etc. Very nicely run family Resirt with full hook-ups, fire pits, lots of activities, nice pool. We have stayed there numerous times and are considering a seasonal spot this summer. We are already planning to stay there for the month of July. River Ridge would be approx 2 -1/2 hrs to 2-3/4 hrs from Ann Arbor.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:09 PM   #6

Try Haas Lake RV Park in New Hudson. 30 miles or so from A2.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:38 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Loving all of these recommendations!
Old 02-17-2016, 08:51 PM   #8

Hi Rob,

There are a bunch of nice upscale RV parks but they area usually near the west or north part of the state. If you are looking to stay near Ann Arbor I would also recommend Haas Lake RV Park (more of ponds then lakes), Also check out Greenwood Acres Family Campground in Jackson (less then 30 minutes from Ann Arbor), or possibly Taylor's Beach Campground in Howell (about 30-45 minutes from Ann Arbor).

[moderator edit]

Good luck,
Lloyd
Old 02-18-2016, 02:23 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks Lloyd!