Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2011, 08:56 AM   #57

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You must be very diligent in order to get into Bahia, let alone a waterfront site. We have stayed there three times, once at a waterfront site and some fella from NY state almost chastised us for getting the prime spot we had I think it #17 or 16.[The only drawback there is listening to the rhythm of the cars going over the expansion joints on the bridge] Anyway we go to the keys every year and quite often see his rig there. We did spend two weeks at Sunshine in 09 and had no problems there I actually like the park but not the rates. We also spend a lot of time in Key West and the ride to and from there is not too bad. In 2010 we got lucky and got 2 weeks at Long Key, all the sites are waterfront. I was just wondering whats up at Sunshine, I heard some outfit from Chicago owns it and Im betting they are holding off reservations untill they see what rate they can get away with.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2011, 09:49 AM   #58

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakewoodpaul View Post
You must be very diligent in order to get into Bahia, let alone a waterfront site. We have stayed there three times, once at a waterfront site and some fella from NY state almost chastised us for getting the prime spot we had I think it #17 or 16.[The only drawback there is listening to the rhythm of the cars going over the expansion joints on the bridge] Anyway we go to the keys every year and quite often see his rig there. We did spend two weeks at Sunshine in 09 and had no problems there I actually like the park but not the rates. We also spend a lot of time in Key West and the ride to and from there is not too bad. In 2010 we got lucky and got 2 weeks at Long Key, all the sites are waterfront. I was just wondering whats up at Sunshine, I heard some outfit from Chicago owns it and Im betting they are holding off reservations untill they see what rate they can get away with.
One thing we have going for us is that we plan BH after our stay at Knight's Key and can always push out the departure so we can keep trying dates end of March/early April. KK always has sites that time of year.

The bridge is noisy but since we drive in to get the windshield towards the water the bedroom is back far enough so it is no bother at night. An extension cable and H2O hose are a must.

We are from NY (not city) and I can assure you it was not us that gave you a bad time. We are happy for anyone that is fortunate enough to stay at BH and if we don't get a site, there is the next year to try.

BTW if you are already in the Keys and have internet access, we spoke to a few couples that found available sites on the water for short stays that suddenly became open due to cancellations I assume.

HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:47 PM   #59

Damon Owners Club
We stopped to check out Sunshine Key three days ago. This place is awful.
Mostly permanent campsites. A mess everywhere, junk all over the place.
Don't know how Woodalls gave a good rating. There are many better options
anywhere in the Keys. Any other place would be better. This has nothing to do
with culture or ethnicity. This is a craphole.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:19 PM   #60

We are planning to go to Sunshine Key for Memorial Day. I wanted to cancel after reading these posts but we are going with a group and plan to make the best of it. We will have vehicles so we can go to Bahia Honda and Key West and we will also have boats. We have only been to Sunshine Key for Easter when the showbird crowd was still there. We are locals from Fort Lauderdale and go to the Keys often. Summer programs are not unusual in the Keys and many people make permanent campsites. We have gone to Fiesta Key and they have offered summer programs with tons of permanent campsites for years. The summer is our slow season down here and it is a way for the campgrounds to stay in business and make some money in the off season. I do agree that they should maintain their property and treat all of their customers fairly. I called both Encore and Sunshine Key directly about the "bad press" and they both acted oblivious. Certainly they have to know the negative things that are being said. I hope it's not as bad as everyone has said but I do plan to write a review when I return.

Just so you all know where we are coming from, we are middle-aged professionals with teenagers who camp with a group of the same.

Scott and Teresa
1999 Coachman Leprechaun
Old 05-21-2011, 05:42 AM   #61

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TASandsted View Post
We are planning to go to Sunshine Key for Memorial Day. I wanted to cancel after reading these posts but we are going with a group and plan to make the best of it. We will have vehicles so we can go to Bahia Honda and Key West and we will also have boats. We have only been to Sunshine Key for Easter when the showbird crowd was still there. We are locals from Fort Lauderdale and go to the Keys often. Summer programs are not unusual in the Keys and many people make permanent campsites. We have gone to Fiesta Key and they have offered summer programs with tons of permanent campsites for years. The summer is our slow season down here and it is a way for the campgrounds to stay in business and make some money in the off season. I do agree that they should maintain their property and treat all of their customers fairly. I called both Encore and Sunshine Key directly about the "bad press" and they both acted oblivious. Certainly they have to know the negative things that are being said. I hope it's not as bad as everyone has said but I do plan to write a review when I return.

Just so you all know where we are coming from, we are middle-aged professionals with teenagers who camp with a group of the same.

Scott and Teresa
1999 Coachman Leprechaun
Have fun down there. It is our winter getaway. Looks like it is hot upper 80s but there is usually a breeze. Catch 22 on that though, breeze means rough boating.

If you haven't already take a drive down Boca Chica Rd, the one next to the Circle K all the way to the end where it is blocked off. Kind of a cool beach there. It is at the end of the Naval stations runway so some F16s (or whatever jet they are) will take off so close you can see the pilot. There is also an old boat they call Freedom boat that brought refugees from Cuba and a crazy house dug out and built from driftwood and junk. It's kind of a long walk but fun. Caution though, past the "house" is a nude beach. It is a little corny but we thought a fun adventure. You can stop at Geiger Key marina and smokehouse on the way through. Kind of Keysey place.

I'm sure you will have a great time at Sunshine. Always good to get away for a long weekend.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:03 AM   #62

Thanks for the great suggestions! We usually go to Key Largo since it's only an hour and a half away so we are really not familiar with what to do further south. I'm sure we will all have a good time and I will report back on what I see.

Scott and Teresa
1999 Coachman Leprechaun
Old 05-23-2011, 08:56 PM   #63

Sunshine key rv cant take the truth about there park and everthing is fine .They have baned me from they face book page because some cubans using fowl words at me. But i didnt use fowl words and i get baned. Its over ive been going there for ten years but no more going to miss al my freinds and people the i worked on there boat motors.Now you know who i am my name is TJ I stayed on the marina wall and helped alot of people made alot of freinds . to all my freinds thank you and i will miss you. I just wanted the park to have rules for (everyone) to follow. Thanks for al . . the good times and i wont be able to fix your boat motors anymore. to al my freinds this is good bye and take care your freind TJ Swanson
Old 06-16-2011, 11:51 AM   #64

TASandsted... what did you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TASandsted View Post

Scott and Teresa
1999 Coachman Leprechaun

TASandsted... did you make it down to Sunshine Key for Memorial Day weekend and how was it? We are booked there for a week at the end of this month and I am a bit concerned. We will be utilizing the pool, the bathhouse, the boat facilities, and the laundry (basically everything). What did you think? Is it run down and noisy? I know everyone has a different perspecive, but I am quite picky about my vaca spots. Thanks for any feedback!
Old 06-16-2011, 11:53 AM   #65

Forgot my "t" in perspective LOL...
Old 06-19-2011, 12:34 AM   #66

What Pool?
Old 06-20-2011, 01:01 PM   #67

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Sunshine Key RV Resort

There is a very nice pool just behind the office.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:37 PM   #68

Now the new manager is posting reviews saying the park is perfect and the staff is hard working and freindly . WHAT A FRICKEN JOKE
Old 06-26-2011, 08:29 PM   #69

The new manager says if you dont like something dont tell me write a letter to encore she is a crap manager alot of people wrote to encore that did alot of good .HA HA HA I said what about the docks she said whats wrong with the docks you cant walk on them there so bad and you pay 500.00 a mo. and you cant walk on the dock. She should not have to be told about the docks a good manager would figure that out maybe someone should tell her the washer and dryers are 30 years old and dont work
Old 08-15-2011, 12:50 PM   #70

Where are these replies?? Who are you talking about when you say manager and refer to a She??? I was there, you can walk on the docks. The sites you say have no sewer because it is broken? Those are waterfront sites close to the bridge that are not supposed to have sewer. They never have. Not broken, get your info correct.