Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2014, 06:49 AM   #15

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Super Kool Weather Site

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy29847 View Post
Alan Wilson wrote:

Got a Scrooge thing going for the season? do you have a recommendation for a site that gives the weather all along a route, doesn't have ads, and is free? If so, please share.

Mike Harriet asked:

Mike, I do not know. A friend sent me this site. I liked it because I could plan a route, and then see the weather along the route. Review of the FAQ on the site doesn't mention mobile apps.

Andy29847, no, I don't have a Scrooge thing going on, I just don't have time in my life to waste watching video ads for products I don't want. I don't have acne, don't need little blue pills, don't need any amazing tricks to cut my insurance costs and on and on with the snake oil. I also do not have a recommendation for weather other than a local media outlet. They do have ads but not the very irritating ones that cover up my screen for a given time to ensure that I watch. Those get the amount of time it takes to hit the close button. Many apps do just that very thing, cover what you are reading or looking at unless you pay them to remove the ads, or what they call their premium subscription which I assume is the same site with no ads. They all need to make money and operate at a profit and some are just more aggressive than others. As soon as I go to a site that covers up what they want you to read I hit the close button and remove that app without looking back. When I travel I look at what local apps in that area are popular that are also local news outlets and that is the one I use until I move on. What I do may not be right, PC or works for everyone but it is my way of dealing with very annoying sites that want me to watch a 30 second ad for a product I have absolutely no interest in as the price to pay for viewing their information. I consider that price too steep.

PS; When I get my eyesight back in a few weeks so I can more easily read the screen I want to play with this website showing the weather along my route. This may very well be my site of choice for weather as a taxpayer I am already paying for a site without ads! Lol!

Alan Wilson

2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2014, 09:57 AM   #16

To Alan Wilson: Glad that Scrooge isn't sitting on your shoulder. For what it's worth, I don't get pop-ups when I surf the weather site. I am not a computer professional, but it sounds like you have some malware/adware issues. Those things can be hard to get rid of. Sometimes they exist as both a program loaded in your computer and a extension on your browser.

to wa8xym: The forecast for an area is in in the box that shows up along the route as you move your mouse pointer. The forecast seems to be matched to estimated travel time.

A friend who is a computer professional sent me this site. It seems to be a trial site. I don't have a stake in the success of the site. I hope youse guys and gals find it interesting and helpful.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:15 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Andy, X2, I also don't get any ads or pop ups, I think this is a very interesting concept and hope that it continues, the way you can plan a route and ck weather along the way is very helpful.
93 Monaco Dynasty 300HP (for now)
Harley1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 12:58 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Andy, thanks a million for posting this site. I've always relied on the NWS for my weather info. They have no commercial interest in trying to turn the weather into an event to suck you in to then sell you something. Besides, they are the ones running much of the weather information gathering infrastructure that the commercial weather folks rely on.

For all of you who like the app or have thoughts, constructive criticism, whatever... there is a link in the top right corner that allow you to provide feedback. Since this is a pilot project the more feedback they get the better.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:19 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Andy, thanks for site. I will use this alot
I don't have any adds poping up. I use an ad blocker
Old 12-29-2014, 01:35 PM   #20

Guys, I do not have ads popping up on these kinds of sites. I am referring to many other sites that have ads popping up on news articles and informational sites. I really dislike those sites and I do not use any weather sites other than my local news channel. I will look this site over when I get my sight back better than it is.

Alan Wilson

2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD
Old 12-29-2014, 02:02 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
It's good to see this from the National Weather Service. The mobile version works very well on my iPad. Weather.com had excellent forecast maps until they began covering 2/3 of the page with advertising.

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wilson View Post
Slow machine, I'm sure they have a 'premium' version that reduces or eliminates the ads. All these sites inundate you with ads anymore. I know they need the revenue but really, enough is enough. Too many competitors to go to.

Alan Wilson

2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD

As you can see Mike mentioned weather.com having ads and all I did was say there is probably a premium site. In the past I have run into sites that waste my time and data with videos advertising things I don't want. I was IT over 40 computers so I know all about adware and viruses and how to protect myself. I am finding it offensive that so many are jumping on me after one small comment about ads. Give me a break as I am turning into Scrooge.

Thanks,

Alan

2001 HR Scepter 38PBD 330 Cummins
Old 12-29-2014, 07:21 PM   #22

Thanks! Neat website...
Old 12-29-2014, 09:02 PM   #23

Alan wrote:
Quote:
Slow machine, I'm sure they have a 'premium' version that reduces or eliminates the ads. All these sites inundate you with ads anymore. I know they need the revenue but really, enough is enough. Too many competitors to go to.
I completely misunderstood your first post. You weren't complaining about the weather site I posted, you were just hi-jacking the thread.

Keep Ole Scrooge locked in the closet.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:57 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy29847 View Post
Alan wrote:

I completely misunderstood your first post. You weren't complaining about the weather site I posted, you were just hi-jacking the thread.

Keep Ole Scrooge locked in the closet.

Scrooge was almost loose but he is contained once again! Lol! Thanks

Alan Wilson

2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD