RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2018, 08:33 AM   #1

Tampa Florida to Nova Scotia Trip Report

This evening, we leave on our "summer to remember" Tampa, Florida to Nova Scotia road trip. I hope I can report on the trip conditions as we make the journey up the east coast and back home again. We are a family of 4 traveling with 2 boys, 17 and 7 plus a springer spaniel headed north with our Forest River Grey Wolf 26DBH pulled by our 2015 gas sucking 6.2 liter F250. This is by far our longest trip both in distance and duration with our RV. Praying for great adventures, safe travels, and low gas prices.

Just wanted to start the thread off reporting our weights for all the number geeks like me. I use the Andersen WDH and had it set at the lower of two settings that I use.

-------------Truck w/o trlr---Truck w/trlr no WDH-------Truck w trlr w/ WDH
Steer Axle_____4360_________3920____________________4060
Drive Axle_____3260_________4780____________________4580
Trlr Axles _____0000_________6240____________________6320
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gross________7620_________14940___________________ 14960

Truck weight 7620
Trailer weight 7320
Tongue weight 1020
Tongue 13.93%

* Truck with full tank of gas and passengers
* Trailer with full fresh water tank (approx 415 lbs)

Happy Travels!
Camper Dad & Camper Jo

CamperDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2018, 07:23 AM   #2

So what's your itinerary ? We travel from Tampa to Maine every summer and find different sights to take in each your on our way up, as well as some standard favorites we hit each year.
Safe travels and have fun !

Old 06-23-2018, 06:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
So what's your itinerary ? We travel from Tampa to Maine every summer and find different sights to take in each your on our way up, as well as some standard favorites we hit each year.
Safe travels and have fun !
Hi PanJH, - we left some flexibility in our Maine itinerary depending on our travel time and campsite availability but we have family in Halifax, reservations at two provincial parks, 4 nights at the Cheticamp campground at Cape Highlands National Park. Can't wait to get there!
Old 06-23-2018, 06:32 PM   #4

We ended up leaving hours late on Friday due to those pesky jobs of ours but we headed up I-75 to 301 all the way up to 95N. The Florida trip wasn't that bad at all but traffic was heavy leaving Tampa. We drove into the dark which is something I hated to do but really wanted a head start to our first reserved stop at the Delaware National Seashore Campground. Georgia was a tough drive at night. From St Mary's north for miles and miles, I-75 was being repaved and down to one lane at night. Once past the construction, we saw deer on the side of the interstate not once but twice. Scary to think that they could wander that close to the interstate. - And oh we saw a truck driver so talented, he could drive AND watch a movie at the same time! Ugh. Day one or should I say night one - 320 miles to camp Cracker (Barrel) in Pooler Georgia. They were closed when we arrived but found plenty of space along the 2 other RVs in the RV parking area. Fuel mileage was not good - it never is in Florida for some strange reason. 8.3 MPG. My way of keeping the boys at the refinery employed. Your welcome!
Old 06-23-2018, 06:46 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
enjoy the trip we took the ferry from Digby to St Johns great way to go in Harrington Maine stop at
Sunset Point Campground
Kurt & Patsy Petzold
24 Sunset Point Road
Harrington, Maine 04643
E-Mail us at Kurt0347@aol.com
Call 207-483-4412 for reservations or availability.
Sunset Point Campground in Harrington, Maine
Kurt will deliver cooked lobster to your camp site an a great price

Cathy and Gordie Connelly FMCA # F461058
2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29 R
Gordiegaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:57 PM   #6

Up a the crack of dawn this morning and after a quick Cracker breakfast, we took off on I-95 north. I didn't realize just how close we were to South Carolina. I could have filled in another "states camped in" with just a few more miles! Anyway I-95 through South Carolina was rough. Potholes and speed jump all along I-95. Felt like we were getting airborne a few times. Wears you out fast. We had a few issues with my TPMS both on my tow vehicle and the trailer so we had to stop three times just to verify that we weren't coming apart. Traffic was really really heavy. Left lane full of speed demon SUVs with cargo carriers loaded with chairs and coolers. I puttered along in the right lane along with a few other RVs for the duration of the trip. North Carolina had some great pavement on I-95 with the exception of 7 miles of construction near MM 100. Kudos to NCDOT. I enjoyed the smooth ride through your state. >> Virginia not too bad because we jumped on I-95 just across the state line. Bee lined straight over to the CBBT and finally crossed it about 5:30 this evening. Boon docking tonight at the Eastern Shore Visitor's Center where you can stay for 48 hours. There are like only two or three other vehicles in this huge parking lot! And free WIFI!

Long travel day today - 500 miles, but glad that we we only have 130 miles to travel tomorrow to our first reserved site. MPG was better today due to the slower pace of interstate right lane. Ended up at 9.5 MPG. Had it up to 9.8 until I hit Virginia were we hit a few downpours.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordiegaffer View Post
enjoy the trip we took the ferry from Digby to St Johns great way to go in Harrington Maine stop at
Sunset Point Campground
Kurt & Patsy Petzold
24 Sunset Point Road
Harrington, Maine 04643
Thanks for the heads up on the campground Gordiegaffer. We will look into it after we see how far we get on Monday!
Old 06-23-2018, 07:43 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordiegaffer View Post

Sunset Point Campground

Kurt & Patsy Petzold

24 Sunset Point Road

Harrington, Maine 04643

I’ve stayed there and got his lobster. Great place. Area very quiet.
mricet1005 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:01 AM   #9

PanJH,

We are in the planning stages for our trip to Maine and beyond. What route to you take from Tampa to Maine? We live on the east coast below Daytona and want to avoid the traffic issues around DC, NJ, and NY that we hear about. Thanks in advance for your insight.
David
kdnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 07:01 AM   #10

David,
Well, I plan my trip with a stop at Gaffney Freightliner for my annual Service, from there usually stay in/around Asheville for a few days. Then get on I-26 to I-81. Next is I-84 to I-90 then I-495 to I-95. That gets you around DC,Baltimore,NYC traffic .
Sometimes we will hop of I-84 at I-87 and then hook into I-90 ( Mass Pike)

We will also do variations like stopping off at other places, e,g, Gettysburg last year. This year, we'll divert off I-81 early and head more inland to visit Letchworth State Park. From there, we'll get on NYS Thruway to get over to Vermont then cross over to Maine.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:57 AM   #11

We took the advice of another forum member and went over/ under the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel up the eastern shore of Virginia into Delaware. The took the Lewes / Cape May ferry to New Jersey. The fee for our 55 foot rig and three passengers was $89. Relaxing trip and worth every penny of it to avoid Richmond, Washington, Baltimore, and Philly. From Cape May we traveled up the Garden State Parkway until SR 18 and took 18 until we met I-287. Went west/north on I-287 and then north on the NY thruway (I-87) and then west of the Mass turnpike. For the most part this drive was easy. A lot of fast moving traffic on I-287 but we weren’t on it very long. The NY Thruway was an easy drive. The Mass turnpike is hilly with a couple of bad patches of road. Stayed last night at the Wells State Park in Mass. Not big rig friendly nor does it have hookups. I think it would had been better to stay at the Elks club in the next town towards Boston. So far this was a good route for us. I have pretty much decided to come back the same route. I haven’t looked at my toll bill yet. Plan on Making camp in Maine for a few days before heading to Nova Scotia.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:28 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
We just finished a 2 1/2 mo trip up the east coast from Pompano beach to Maine across to Niagara falls then worked our way back down to New Orleans and then back home it was a trip of a lifetime... 3 weeks of lobster everyday @ Under $10 lb...
Sicduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:06 AM   #13

Baa Habaa

So we spent one night at the Lake Pemaquid Campground in Damariscotta, ME. To be fair, we were only there for the night so I cannot properly review the campground but we had full hookups and the weather was made for campfires. The lake looked nice and had a "summer camp" atmosphere. You won't find any Prevost or Dynamax at this place. A couple fishermen that I had spoken with said the wind hampered their efforts. Only caught about a dozen bass or so that day. ONLY!

When we camped in Mass, we ran out of fresh water very quickly and our grey tank was only 1/3 full. I thought this was really strange because I had filled up the fresh water tank in Delaware. When I went to fill it up again and I filled it up until the water came out of the overflow tube. Typically water will come back up the fill tube but the last two fillups it came out if the overflow tube. After watching it for a while, I realized that it must be siphoning out a majority of my freshwater!!. I confirmed this with another member of the Forest River forums. We have had this travel trailer for over a year and never experienced this before. So I found a nut driver that would plug the tube to stop the siphoning. I will be looking for a hardware store to put some sort of valve on it over the next few days.

I was also surprised how short of a trip it is from Mass to Maine. Felt like we were here in just a few hours. So excited to be here.

Gas mileage dropped but still better than what I ever get in Florida. Even with all the hills, I am averaging around 9 mpg. No problem pulling any Maine hills but I do slow down and ease up on the pedal to make my fuel last longer.

We left Lake Pemaquid to drive 2.5 hours up the coast to Bar Harbor or "Ba Habaa" as the locals call it. Followed the WAZE route which was very curvy and off the beaten path. SR 235 to SR 17 to SR 131 to SR 3 back to US 1 in Belfast. Not sure I would go that route again due to the small hilly two-lane roads that we encountered. I would probably just take Route 1 all the way up the coastline.

We are staying at the Bar Harbor Campground until Friday. Did not have reservations but this campground doesn't take reservations. You pull in and drive around looking at sites. If you find a site you like then you grab it and then register at the office. Unusual to me but it worked out just fine for us. Lobstah in Bar Harbor for dinner last night and we are off to explore Arcadia today - even with a little bit of rain. I like that the bar Harbor \ Acadia shuttle comes right to the office here. We did opt to drive into town last night but probably should have taken the shuttle. We wouldn't have had to worry about parking or driving back to the campground in the pitch black. There is road construction happening on SR 3 and the westbound lanes are closed. We have no idea where the detour took us last night but we eventually found ourselves 1 mile west of the campground.

I posted a few photos of us on our adventure on Instagram under the username "Camper_Dad".

Safe travels to all of you!

Todd
Old 06-28-2018, 09:22 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Was just in bar harbor last week great area alot of traffic but it is summer

jarata is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida