Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2015, 09:06 PM   #1

Terrible RV park policy

I wish I could rate Hickory Hills RV park in Albert Lea, Minnesota, but I can't. I made reservations at this park as part of a cross country trip I was taking. I made reservations in April for a two night stay so I could rest up after driving for three days. I called them 5 days before I departed to confirm my reservations. There was no deposit at the time the reservation was made as the owner it was not necessary.
At 2o'clock I received a call on my cell phone telling me that the park was over booked and they would not be able to accommodate me. They said the had a group that wanted to stay longer and "they would make more money by having them stay longer".
When I asked what am I supposed to do as I am to arrive tomorrow, I was told i'd have to find another place. They did give me the phone number to a nearby KOA, which I booked.
Needless to say I won't be using this place ever.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2015, 09:08 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Tony,
That stinks. It "could be worse" - you could have driven up and then have them deny entry.... Leave them feedback on rvpark reviews, google, or yelp if you feel it's appropriate.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:00 PM   #3

Tony insert this app into your phone and never worry about not finding a place to stay.
RV PARKY
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:17 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Is that park a Good Sam or FMCA or other club affiliate?

They do show up in the Good Sam web site. Bet GS would be interested in their policy

You might also post a "review" at
RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks
and
RV Parky | RV Parks & Campgrounds Directory, Reviews, Photos

Interesting that they have a 5 day cancelation policy if you give them a deposit or they still keep the money.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:18 PM   #5

Sorry to hear about your situation. FWIW, we usually use KOA when they are available, and have never had such a situation.

Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where he is told that the rental car that he reserved is not available. His final line " Sure, you may be good at TAKING the reservation - But you don't know how to KEEP the reservation"
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 03:45 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On their web site I found this '**A $35 deposit is required with 5 day prior notice for cancellations to receive a full refund.** "
Lesson learned, make the deposit next time and you would be locked in. No deposit, no reservation.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:13 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just added to my boycott list..

There may be action.. It likely will not help you but there may be rules. Some hotels are covered by rules that say if they give you a reservation and overbook (I know of a case where it happened) they have to find space for you.. Same or lower rate.. or in some cases free.

Send your original message to the Campground Licensing Authority that licenses them. Then forget it cause you will likely get nothing back more than a form letter.. But if enough complaints are received, the campground may get a request to return their license and exit the business.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:33 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Just poor business practice. If making a reservation I always ask if they don't ask me first for a money deposit, especially if it part of a multi stop vacation. ? Here if say you gave them money or credit card deposit and they still said they over booked, do you have any rights?
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 01:28 PM   #9

Without question this is deplorable. Might be worth a few of us contacting them via their website - I presume they have one - and letting them know that their short term gain may cost them our long term business. My experience with parks that I have tried to politely, constructively criticize, is that if they have a high volume of business they could care less about a few unhappy campers.
Having said that, more and more businesses are watching review sites such as TripAdvisor & Yelp to monitor & address customer concerns. My neice, MBA and close to a six-figure base salary straight out of college, is tasked this as part of her daily routine at a very expensive up & coming boutique restaurant/catering chain in So Cal. They take these public reviews extremely serious. When I visit a park, I matter-of-factory mention that I contribute heavily to 5 different RV review sites. I diplomatically suggest that they should be monitoring them. More & more, I'm being told they do.
Old 06-27-2015, 01:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I wish I could rate Hickory Hills RV park in Albert Lea, Minnesota, but I can't. I made reservations at this park as part of a cross country trip I was taking. I made reservations in April for a two night stay so I could rest up after driving for three days. I called them 5 days before I departed to confirm my reservations. There was no deposit at the time the reservation was made as the owner it was not necessary.
At 2o'clock I received a call on my cell phone telling me that the park was over booked and they would not be able to accommodate me. They said the had a group that wanted to stay longer and "they would make more money by having them stay longer".
When I asked what am I supposed to do as I am to arrive tomorrow, I was told i'd have to find another place. They did give me the phone number to a nearby KOA, which I booked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jergeod View Post
Tony insert this app into your phone and never worry about not finding a place to stay.
RV PARKY
jergeod
UNLESS Hickory Hills RV park in Albert Lea, Minnesota is on the RV PARKY app!
Old 06-27-2015, 06:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jergeod View Post
RV PARKY
Rv parky has not taken off as many have hoped. The park review data base is horrible compared to rvparkreviews.com.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:08 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post

Welcome to Walmart

I've certainly been told to leave when my stay was up and tried to stay longer.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 06:10 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Rv parky has not taken off as many have hoped. The park review data base is horrible compared to rvparkreviews.com.
Agreed, I'm super hopeful for campendium.com - they really have elevated.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 06:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_vfox View Post
On their web site I found this '**A $35 deposit is required with 5 day prior notice for cancellations to receive a full refund.** "
Lesson learned, make the deposit next time and you would be locked in. No deposit, no reservation.

The OP stated that when he made the reservation the owner said no deposit was necessary.

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote