Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2016, 08:48 PM   #1

Teton Pass

We talked to 2 people in West Yellowstone and both said Teton Pass was doable and both took their RVs over it. Everything I read on iRV2 and other sites said not to do it. Mountain West described a scary trip with 10% grades on both sides... and sharp curves.

Well... we did it. It was a gorgeous drive and not quite as scary as we thought it would be. We got to the summit doing a speedy 25 mph and pulled off to let the 50 cars stacked up behind us by. We still had brakes when we got to the bottom but we sure were glad when the road flattened out! We drove from west to east...Victor, Idaho to Wilson, WY.

We expected a few passing lanes along the way and there wasn't any and few places to pass after getting into the steepest parts. I'm sure we were getting fussed at by several that were stuck behind us.
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2016, 10:11 AM   #2

Glad that all turned out well for you and that your trip was safe and enjoyable. I am like you, I pull over to let those behind me pass...where space allows. Without pull outs, those behind you, although a bit miffed, most likely understood the situation. You pulled over when you could. That had to negate any "hard feelings" on the part of those behind you.

We've all been behind something slower in our driving lives and gotten over it. I was told one time to focus my concerns on my rig and what is ahead of me, not that which was behind.

Thanks for sharing your story. The information, experiences, and (alas) opinions on this forum are why I keep reading it. So very empowering, informing, and at times, just plain funny.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:59 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Went over Teton Pass west to east with 43' Monaco Sig pulling a Honda CR-V with no problems at all. Steepest pass I have been on in the coach. Engine did not get over normal temp, kept RPM's at 1800 in 2nd gear about half throttle. Jake brake kept speed down all the way down. Loved the experience. Some guy with a pickup and 20' trailer was irritated because he did not have enough horsepower to pass when I pulled over in the passing lanes. He blocked others that could of passed. Finally he decided to just stay behind.....

Driving mountain passes all over Colorado...
Dave.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:29 PM   #4

During the busy season, the scariest thing about that pass in either direction, is the rental Class C's with their side mirrors extended out as far as they can go on both side...

We've done the route from West to East several times. First in our Bounder, then multiple times in our Country Coach. Last year when we made the trip, we saw two rental units pass each other in different directions. They both lost their driver side mirrors. The gent driving a few cars ahead of us, was cut by flying pieces of mirror.

That was very early on the West side, and we counted I believe the pieces of 3 more side mirrors along the rest of the route.

I had to stop once on that years trek East over the pass, as I could see the lady (Not a knock against lady drivers, but she was a lady driver! was terrified, and was so busy watching the passenger side for the close by trees, that she was way over in my non to wide lane. So I stopped. Lightly tapped the air horn to get her to focus on the driver side a bit, and she quickly veered back into her lane. She looked very frighten, and her husband seemed to be providing vocal encouragement to her, from the look of his face and mouth of flapping rapidly!

So for those that have not done this in either direction. Watch your speeds, gear down for the hills, and keep and eye out for those in the rental Class C's - as they are quite often just getting their sea legs with the unit. Many fly into the West coast to pick up their rentals, and have very little travel time under belts when they reach Yosemite!

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 04:08 PM   #5

Welcome to the highways/byways of the great NW. Please come again. We will take your tourist dollars! And yes, that is a georgeous drive. Some great camping around the Victor area you came through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
We talked to 2 people in West Yellowstone and both said Teton Pass was doable and both took their RVs over it. Everything I read on iRV2 and other sites said not to do it. Mountain West described a scary trip with 10% grades on both sides... and sharp curves.

Well... we did it. It was a gorgeous drive and not quite as scary as we thought it would be. We got to the summit doing a speedy 25 mph and pulled off to let the 50 cars stacked up behind us by. We still had brakes when we got to the bottom but we sure were glad when the road flattened out! We drove from west to east...Victor, Idaho to Wilson, WY.

We expected a few passing lanes along the way and there wasn't any and few places to pass after getting into the steepest parts. I'm sure we were getting fussed at by several that were stuck behind us.
idnative1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnative1948 View Post
Welcome to the highways/byways of the great NW. Please come again. We will take your tourist dollars! And yes, that is a georgeous drive. Some great camping around the Victor area you came through.
It was really a pretty drive and we're glad we did it. We're gaining confidence in mountain driving and will be considering places we've avoided because of the route.

We supported the local economy all along our journey!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote