Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:32 PM   #1
Texas Hill Country

Hi...have a question about the summer temps in the Texas Hill Country.

We're from central Florida, so heat isn't as much of an issue as would be for some, but I keep hearing about the awful temps. We haven't been able to get there in a milder time of year, so want to try for this summer - specifically July.

Two years ago as we were headed to the Black Hills, we encountered temps of 105 & 106 in Kentucky, Missouri, Nebraska, and eastern SD. We were shocked as Florida never has those temps. I kept saying we needed to go home to cool off. Yes, we survived, but not sure we want to knowingly endure those temps again unless we have to.

So,what can we expect in the Texas Hill Country area during July?

Thanks for the input.

G.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2014, 06:27 PM   #2
Bring your air conditioning to Texas in July---upper 90 to low 100 degrees.

hnybare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:31 PM   #3
Originally Posted by hnybare View Post
Bring your air conditioning to Texas in July---upper 90 to low 100 degrees.
Agree! VERY HOT, yet lower humidity than in Houston or along the Texas coast. GOOD THING is the Texas Hill Country is very scenic
If you like day trips, Kerrville or Fredericksburg are two nice home bases.
Jeff & Sandy on Lake Conroe
2016 Newmar Essex 4519
2013 FJ Cruiser 4x4 Toad
jd956jd956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:56 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Heard the other day on Jimmy Fallen, The phrase "It's not the heat, it's the humidity" really means "The weather sucks, but not in the way you think it does". I've been in the Texas Hill Country for 35 years. I consider my S&B home to be the ultimate winter retreat, but as soon as I can retire, I plan to make a quick exodus to higher elevations by late May to Sep. With that said, we are having an amazing spring and early summer this year. It's barely hit the mid 90's a couple times. A few years ago, we had already experienced a dozed 100+ degree days by now, and 105 had became the new 100. We are in a 10 year + drought with high hopes of a El Nino year in the Pacific.
Scotty and Kristen, Airedales Dagny and Wyatt
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 4528, 450 HP ISM, Allison 4000, 8 Trojan T-105's
2014 F150 4x4 Crew Cab Platinum 157" WB
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:41 AM   #5
Freightliner Owners Club
Is September very hot? We've considered making the visit in September.

traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:47 AM   #6
Fleetwood Owners Club
Sept is the tail end of summer, its typically still warm, but not smoking hot. Some years Sept is perfect temp other years nor so much. Plan for the later part of Sept and you will be set.
2010 Fleetwood Discovery 40X
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:38 PM   #7
Originally Posted by traveler of california View Post
Is September very hot? We've considered making the visit in September.

September is a crap shoot. It can stay hot through October some years. I gave birth to my son on Sept 23 and came home too 100 degree weather from the hospital. Generally it is still very warm thru September. Heck, we wear shorts to Christmas dinner some years!
Melissa, Chief Executive Navigator
33Ft. Crossroads Sunset Reserve TT
WanderinTXun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:01 PM   #8
Damon Owners Club
I agree with everything said...in spades. The temps rarely get below the 90-100+ range in summer especially July.

And, just on a personal note, rather than spend my usual summer in the Hill Country this year, I decided to stay in South Florida due to the "mild" temps. Yours in central Florida aren't much better.

Dan (Mack) (Former Outlaw owner, looking for a new ride!), w/2012 F150 FX4 and a 2012 Street Glide.
BpK9Miami is offline   Reply With Quote