Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2018, 09:16 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Trip- Places to stay

We are planning on going to see some of Texas next year (probably late February through March...ish. Plan to explore the following areas and would like recommendations to stay in with our 40' Class A DP. We tow a Jeep so that will be how we explore, and plan to stay about 10 days to 2 weeks in each area (unless dissuaded by those with experience saying we don't need that much time!).
1. Austin
2. San Antonio
3. Hill Country (Fredricksburg?)
We like nicer campgrounds that are dog friendly. Love to hear your recommendations/stories/experiences.
Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2018, 09:58 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A couple of years back we stayed at Riverbend RV Park in Luling, TX Riverbend RV Park & Campground | Luling, TX and made the hour ride to San Antonio for a day trip to visit the Alamo and River Walk. Austin is also about an hour away but we left it for next time. Our main reason for Luling was it is the beginning of the Texas BBQ Trail. We visited City Market in Luling for great BBQ as well as traveled 15 minutes to Lockhart for more great BBQ at two of the big three Smitty's and Blacks BBQ (leaving Kreuz Market for next time). Riverbend was a nice campground that we would go back again.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 10:16 AM   #3

Fredericksburg area is an awesome place to stay. We like smaller towns rather than big like Austin or San Antonio.

With your Jeep you need to try out Arizona another winter. You'll love the trails you can ride!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 10:25 PM   #4

I just wanted to point out those 3 locations are all within about 80 miles of each other. On Texas scale they are basically the same place (I-10 from one side of Texas to the other is 878 miles)
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 12:00 AM   #5

Braunig Lake RV Park is on the south side of San Antonio. Plenty of space and amenities!
CampFire Junkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:18 AM   #6

I have lived in Texas now for 20 years and I found out my reading the above that you are all right, however I picked Kerrville Texas, located 60 miles Northwest of San Antonio and we have five or six very nice RV parks and I bought a house here and also travel with my Vegas 24.1. I also rent a place to store my motorhome and car for $60 a month
GRABLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:16 AM   #7

When we visited Austin we stayed at Austin, Texas-La Hacienda RV Resort & Cottages and in San Antonio we stayed at Greenlake RV Resort - Quality RV Resorts San Antonio, TX. We enjoyed our stay at both places and they were dog friendly. There are tons of options as that area handles quite a lot of snowbirds.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 03:03 PM   #8

Buckhorn Lake near Kerrville (Hill Country) is a top rated nice campground that gets a lot of positive comments. We stayed there and will go back. Johnson Creek RV Resort nearby is also well recommended although we haven’t been yet.

We stayed at Hill Country RV Resort in New Braunfels outside of San Antonio that was above average and had a lot of amenities including an indoor pool.

Be sure to use www.campgroundreviews.com to get more information.
McGarrett50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampFire Junkies View Post
Braunig Lake RV Park is on the south side of San Antonio. Plenty of space and amenities!
x2 Nice place. Restaurants close by. 20ish minutes to the Alamo. Cant think or what we would do in the area for two weeks, but thats just me. We stayed for a few days.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:30 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks all! Good suggestions!
Old 04-30-2018, 05:47 PM   #11

I live on the Guadalupe River below Canyon Lake. We have probably 40 commercial RV Parks within 30 miles any direction. If you want to be centrally located, I would suggest the New Braunfels area off I 35. Along the Guadalupe the RV parks are just lined up. We have one within 100 yards parked on the river. Here is the river view from that campground (also our backyard).

If you like wine, there are at least 50 Texas wineries within an hours drive and the wine is excellent! There are an endless list of things to see and do in the area. Thats why we retired here and use it as a home base to RV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0EBC3C0B-BA12-4CEB-9DB3-5E4189DEFB60.jpeg
Views:	137
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	201077   Click image for larger version

Name:	347E5C7E-CFA8-4C59-BD24-B702CC2FF18D.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	429.7 KB
ID:	201078  

milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 07:33 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I'm following you.

We plan to do nearly the same and about the same timing. We plan to check out the Kerrville area in Late February and have a spot in Weslaco for the month of March. It's our first time in these areas, so any info is helpful.
KRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 06:23 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobster View Post
We are planning on going to see some of Texas next year (probably late February through March...ish. Plan to explore the following areas and would like recommendations to stay in with our 40' Class A DP. We tow a Jeep so that will be how we explore, and plan to stay about 10 days to 2 weeks in each area (unless dissuaded by those with experience saying we don't need that much time!).
1. Austin
2. San Antonio
3. Hill Country (Fredricksburg?)
We like nicer campgrounds that are dog friendly. Love to hear your recommendations/stories/experiences.
Thanks!
Sunset Point at Lake LBJ
Marble Falls, Texas

Great facility 1 hour from Austin and 1 hour from Fredericksburg.

X2 on Buckhorn in Kerrville. Class facility.
Fitztrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 05:09 AM   #14

American Coach Owners Club
Texas has great State Parks. If you are planning to stay more than 4 days, get the yearly state park pass at your first stop. It will save you money. State Parks I have stayed in and recommend:

Palo Duro Canyon
Caprock Canyons
Garner
Inks Lake
Brazos Bend
San Angelo
Bastrop
AE Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, texas