Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2012, 08:37 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
Texas - Where to stay near South Padre Is. ?

We will be visiting the South Padre Island area for the 1st time this Jan/Feb and would like to hear from any of you that can recommend a RV park within an hours drive of the coast. Thanks in advance.

Ken&Bev Victoria, BC

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2012, 09:13 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
my sister lives in La feria which is less than hr drive

i would say between the highway interchange at harlingen and her house there must be 50 real nice Rv parks, some are age restricted...over 55, but many are not
google search my friend

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:16 PM   #3

We used to stay in the Rio RV Park in Brownsville. It worked for us.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:14 PM   #4

Tradewinds in Harlingen.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:58 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
We stayed at the KOA on the Island a few years ago and really liked it.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:57 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Stay at the Cameron county park (Isla Blanca) right on the island. Just past the KOA entrance, if I recall correctly. Full hookups available, too.
http://www.co.cameron.tx.us/parks/isla_blanca.htm
Old 10-09-2012, 11:45 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Campground

Hi, I stayed at Lakewood in Harlingen and plan to go back in Jan.not sure how far it is from S. Pedra Island. i would consider staying some where else if it was nice and the price was right.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:25 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by redtop View Post
Hi, I stayed at Lakewood in Harlingen and plan to go back in Jan.not sure how far it is from S. Pedra Island. i would consider staying some where else if it was nice and the price was right.
IIRC Harlingen is near Brownsville, almost at the southern tip of Texas, Way farther than an hour away.
If you have a military ID the base at Corpus Christi has a wonderful RV park.
Greg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:48 PM   #9

I don't mean to discourage you but your options are limited on S. Padre. KOA is definitely the nicest but super expensive! Isla Blanca is okay but really crowded. There's also a small park on the other end of the island but I have heard the spaces are very limited and it is crowed as well. That said, SP is really nice in January and February so some of the other recommendations that are close would still allow you to spend part or all of your days on the Island. If I were dead set on SP I would probably bite the bullet and stay at the KOA. Whatever you decide you will definitely enjoy the area.

WM
Old 10-21-2012, 03:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg2 View Post
IIRC Harlingen is near Brownsville, almost at the southern tip of Texas, Way farther than an hour away.
You're thinking of Padre Island, while the OP was asking about South Padre Island. Harlingen is indeed about an hour from SPI.

We stayed at the small park wimberleyman mentioned that's on the other end of SPI from Isla Blanca and the KOA. It's called Andy Bowie County Park and it's pretty grim--an asphalt parking lot with lines drawn to indicate the RV spaces. Our 40-foot motorhome just fit lengthwise, and we parked our small car alongside and it barely fit.

Obviously there's not much landscaping or scenery anywhere in that area, but this one stands out for unattractiveness even there.

FWIW, in the winter of 2010-2011, Isla Blanca was fully booked after Christmas. Andy Bowie doesn't take reservations and was pretty much full after Christmas, too. Quite a few long-term people, so there might not be much turnover of spaces if you're waiting for one to open up.

There are a few RV parks in Port Isabel, just across the bridge from SPI. They are cheaper than on the island but they're generally not big-rig friendly--seemed kind of cramped (if that matters). And they tend to have a lot of permanent residents, and the salt air down there is not kind to RVs and they look it. Those places also stay pretty booked up in the winter.

Before going to SPI, we stayed for a few days at Snow to Sun RV Park in Weslaco. We picked it because it was cheap (Passport America) and close to the dentists across the border. Seemed like a typical gigantic snowbird park. We didn't have a problem getting a space, but it was in early December, before the big influx.

That general area, the Rio Grande Valley (RGV), has a ton of RV parks. Most are age-restricted (if that matters). If you're willing to do day trips to the coast, as you indicated, that would probably be your best bet, and a snowbird forum would likely have a lot of information about the parks there.

However, be aware that distances get kind of long pretty fast down there. Harlingen is about 40 miles from SPI, while McAllen is about twice that, and both are in RGV.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:27 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg2 View Post
OATMEAL---Oops, my bad, you are correct. The word 'south' escaped me.
Good catch.

Greg2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
texas