Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2014, 05:21 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Winter

For the past years we have wintered in Florida, we usually do not get to stay all winter but we usually start in Tampa for the Rv show and go from there. We are thinking about the Texas coast for next winter. Can somebody give me some ideas about Texas winter RVing. What and where do we need to stay, I think we would like to move around and end up maybe in New Mexico, maybe a RV show or anything interesting,

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2014, 10:22 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Well, first, RV shows in NM are a waste, particularly if you want to look at coaches and a lot of vendors. Houston supposedly has a large one, but I haven't see a lot of posts. Also, NM in the Winter is cold...even in El Paso.

Second, and controversial, I've been struggling with what to do about Southern TX. There are a few coastal resorts, but all I hear about is the wind from those that have been there. The there are literally dozens in the Rio Grande Valley, but I hear wind, too many park models, cheaper (but then they are super large) and the nicer parks are still in the 700-800 area, etc. Then I have talked to several that say "... well, there really isn't a crime problem, but I also carry in case I get in trouble..." or "...people in the park have had illegals come into the park and knock on doors asking for..." Pls no bricks, JMHO and lack of comfortablility in what I've found. Probably also has to do with wind and how cool it got this year in the Rio Grande Valley.

I guess what I'm saying is a lot of folks find that it is great...and maybe I'm just a worry wart, but I had a hard time finding a place that I felt comfortable selecting for several months. Thinking we'll go further West.

DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:31 AM   #3

Here are some RV shows that were listed for this past Jan-April. The exact dates won't be the same for 2015 but you can get an idea.

http://trva.org/index.php/events/texas-rv-shows

As far as the weather, every year will be different. Texas had a cold winter this year. Arizona was perfect. New Mexico is typically colder than Texas or Arizona.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:42 AM   #4
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We spent a week in Ransom Road RV Resort in Aransas Pass Tx. in March. It was really nice and far enough away from the water to not be so windy. It is usually booked up however and you need to make reservations early.

Ransom Road RV Park Aransas Pass, Tx | Home
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:51 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Sorry guys for not answering but I have been to a convention and was busy, busy. Thanks for the information but I still don't know what to do about Texas, you have scared me. I thought we could just find a place on maybe Padre Island and stay a coup;e of weeks then go a little south for a week and west for a couple of weeks. I am not sure what we will do, I find Texas a lot more reasonable than Florida, last year we paid up to $90/night in the keys, old park and tight. The wind blew in grass and what a smell. We did stay in Orlando in a city park that was nice. If anyone has a better idea let me know
Old 04-27-2014, 10:36 PM   #6

We stay in mission texas no comparison on prices much cheaper than and florida, florida treats snowbirds terrible I know from many experiences there. Texas is much cheaper and more friendly.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:49 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Bay City, Port Lavaca, Rockport, Port Aransas all have many nice parks. Google those towns rv parks. Some will always be less quality than there ads. A winter or 2 will sort that out for you. Don't make any long term reservations, then if you don't like a park you can move. I have seen very few times in 12 years when those towns didn't have drive in openings. I can only remember staying in overflow 1 night. It still had 30 amp elec.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:54 PM   #8

Texas is better than the north in winter, but nothing like Florida. Average temps are a lot colder, usually with a pretty decent cold snap or two. Not terrible, but far from balmy. The best places to spend winter are and continue to be either Florida or the west coast.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:02 PM   #9

Most of winter texans r replants from florida say thky would never go back Rio Grande Valley has similar weather to Miami. Know that from experience.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:32 AM   #10

Can't speak about Florida but we have never been treated so well as we have in Texas. The folks there are welcoming and bend over backwards for visitors. They really appreciate what visitors bring.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by empty_nest View Post
Can't speak about Florida but we have never been treated so well as we have in Texas. The folks there are welcoming and bend over backwards for visitors. They really appreciate what visitors bring.
Now that part about Texas is true for sure. Friendliest people anywhere.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:22 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Texas is a big state, with a wide range of winter temperatures and weather. Corpus Christi is about 200 miles southwest down the Gulf coast from Galveston and can often be 10 degrees warmer in the winter months. Both cities are about 650 miles south of Amarillo which will have MUCH different winter weather. Google the areas you are interested for temperature ranges. There is really no such thing as "the weather in Texas." The state is just too big for that general a statement.
sadrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:34 AM   #13

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadrand View Post
Texas is a big state, with a wide range of winter temperatures and weather. Corpus Christi is about 200 miles southwest down the Gulf coast from Galveston and can often be 10 degrees warmer in the winter months. Both cities are about 650 miles south of Amarillo which will have MUCH different winter weather. Google the areas you are interested for temperature ranges. There is really no such thing as "the weather in Texas." The state is just too big for that general a statement.
Even within a metropolitan area there can be substantial differences if you are close to the water. We have spent the last 3 winters in Port Aransas which is ~5 degrees warmer than Corpus Christi because of its proximity to the Gulf.

This was a very cold year in TX as it was in many parts of the US. We had one or two nights down into the upper 30's but we never had a frost, although Corpus and Rockport did a couple of times.

We heartily agree that Texans are very cordial to their "winter Texans" we would never go back to FL. My characterization of FL is that it is populated by people from the NE who think they "discovered" it and don't want to share it with anyone else!
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:37 AM   #14

For the life of me I don't understand this to be great full timing???

This would suet me better!

This would be my full time choice! I guess I a weird!!

Tags
texas, winter