RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2019, 09:13 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
The Carolinas

Thinking about spending a good portion of the winter in the Carolinas and looking at the choices is overwhelming.

Can you people offer me some advice on parks that are well maintained and are in the $500 per month range.

They don't have to be 5 star but close enough would be okay.

And never having been to the Carolinas I don't know where I would prefer.

I assume that South Carolina would be warmer?

And with Dorian just going threw, I hope not too many parks were damaged.

Thanks in advance

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2019, 09:44 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
You will see snow and temps in the teens and twenty's over the winter there.....I would head further south......

On the right side of the screen, you will see "RV Park Reviews", click on that and have a look around.......#1 place to go to see review's and what people have to say.

Old 09-13-2019, 11:20 AM   #3

We lived in NC (Mebane) for a while. There is a small park there (Jones Station) that we've stayed in (full-hookup). It's close to Burlington/Greensboro/ Durham / Triangle area. I'm not sure their price or if they even stay open in the winter. The area's can get snow and even worse ice which will grind any movement to a halt. ANY. I grew up in the snow-belt and can drive in snow but this was something completely different. (I think the county that I lived in in Ohio had more snow plows than the whole state of NC)
We moved to FL to get away from that. You might consider GA, AL, etc. after hurricane season.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:59 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I just got off the phone with my sister and she goes to the Carolinas fairly often over the winter and she said for me not to worry because at this time of year - November to March - there is no need to make a reservation at a RV Park.

She said that very few RV parks will be full so for me not to worry about finding a spot.

Is this true? Or is she just speaking out of her mind?
Old 09-14-2019, 09:13 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farkey View Post
I just got off the phone with my sister and she goes to the Carolinas fairly often over the winter and she said for me not to worry because at this time of year - November to March - there is no need to make a reservation at a RV Park.

She said that very few RV parks will be full so for me not to worry about finding a spot.

Is this true? Or is she just speaking out of her mind?
She is correct as it is getting cold..........that time of year.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:37 AM   #6

Coming from Canada you will probably find the Carolina's warm by comparison.
Look for spots in the southeast area of NC, or the eastern half of SC to avoid the chance of snow and colder weather. Generally highs will be in the 50's or 60's and lows might get to the 30's on average. Always a cold front that can change things overnight. Finding a spot will probably not be a problem, since for us its cold and school is in so family's are grounded. The farther West towards the mountains you go the colder it will get and the more likely you will have snow.
crb478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 11:04 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
So I guess I should look to stay as close to the ocean as possible?
Old 09-14-2019, 11:29 AM   #8

The SC state Campgrounds have snowbird specials, much better than the private campgrounds.
Columbus Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years...plan on a reservation as ALL the campgrounds fill up for the holidays.
Spoonsize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 04:26 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
My plan is to arrive in the Carolinas early November and stay until spring.
Old 09-14-2019, 04:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farkey View Post
Thinking about spending a good portion of the winter in the Carolinas and looking at the choices is overwhelming.

Can you people offer me some advice on parks that are well maintained and are in the $500 per month range.

They don't have to be 5 star but close enough would be okay.

And never having been to the Carolinas I don't know where I would prefer.

I assume that South Carolina would be warmer?

And with Dorian just going threw, I hope not too many parks were damaged.

Thanks in advance
NC has 3 distinct regions...Coastal, Piedmont, Mountains. The climate that time of year varies by region. If you are staying in the Coastal & Piedmont regions, you will be fine. Few RVers and rarely have weather that will not permit travel. In the Mountain region, you will see even fewer RVs for a very good reason. Some years are mild with little snow/ice. Other years, don't plan on moving around much.

Which specific area are you interested in? What activities are you interested in?
Old 09-15-2019, 05:02 AM   #11

Myrtle Beach, SC has quite a few that are reasonable, and the best part not crowded when you say you want to arrive.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:02 AM   #12

The non-mountainous areas of SC get cold, and a few days each year really cold. But most of the time, we dan play golf year round. As far as snow, rarely but it doesn't take much for people around here to panic while driving in it. Plenty of great state parks along the coast with full hookups and snow bird rates. I think you will like Myrtle Beach State Park and Huntington Beach State Park. Both are south of MB yet close enough to great seafood, golf courses, attractions, and all the shopping you care to do.
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:26 AM   #13

Myrtle Beach....back from the beach....Cypress Camping Resort....have to call for rates.
Oceanlakes, Lakewood, and Pirateland are on the ocean, south MB and are also private and kinda pricy.
Spoonsize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:44 AM   #14

I live in Greenville county, SC. If I were coming all the way from Canada for a warm winter, I'd go all the way south and truly find warmth. Although the Carolinas will be much better, I think it would be like you drove 90% of the way there for only half of the effect.

Rolling Ragu is offline   Reply With Quote