Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2014, 06:35 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The Maine Event

Planning the big trip with the kiddos for the end of this summer. Maine, here we come! We will be going either the end of August or the beginning of September. Since we homeschool, we like to get out and about when most folks have already started school.
Here is the tentative itinerary:

Tuesday - Flowery Branch, GA to a rest area north of Charlotte, NC
Wednesday - Drive the rest of the way to Natural Bridge, VA and sightsee
Thursday - Eastham, MA (Cape Cod) - 12 hrs (Atlantic Oaks Campground for 3 nights)
Friday - Cape Cod - Bike Trail/Drive In Movie
Saturday - Cape Cod - Nantucket
Sunday - Drive to Boston - Boston (2 hrs)
Monday - Boston
Tuesday - Drive to ME (5 hrs)
Wednesday - ME
Thursday - ME
Friday - Drive to Greentown, PA- 9.5 hrs Promised Land State Park
Saturday - Greentown, PA (Pocono Rodeo over at 8) Start home
Sunday - Drive home

As you can see, there are some holes in the itinerary-no campgrounds in Boston or Maine yet, no plan of exactly what to see in Boston and Maine, etc.
So, what are some things (particularly in Boston and Maine) that I can't miss? I know we will do Acadia, but want to see a little more than just that. I also know we are cramming a lot of travel into a little time, but that can't be helped because of this silly job thing that keeps me from traveling like I want…

Thanks,
Jeff
jeffwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2014, 09:48 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Your best bet for seeing Boston is Boston Minuteman in Littleton. Great place, fantastic owners, and the office staff will help you with your Boston site seeing. And, an added plus, you are just off 495, which will put you in southern ME in an hour.Quality Family Camping in the Boston Area | Easy access, good-sized sites, clean facilities, friendly atmosphere. Open until October 20th. See you soon!
Old 02-06-2014, 09:55 PM   #3

I'll focus on Maine.

If you stay near the shore you should not have big issues with bugs.

While in ME, I encourage you to see THE REAL MAINE.

This means yes do see Bar Harbor, Acadia NP and such, but the real Maine begins after Bar Harbor. Bah Hawbah is pretty much a place to pay too much for foreign made T-shirts.

After BH, every road to the right leads to the shore or a cove. You will find villages with restaurants that have better and cheaper food than the tourist spots.
In mid August the wild blueberries are full, and 10 to 13 a quart in BH, but as little as $3 a quart in Whiting and other towns further along. And the lobster is much cheaper farther "Downeast" also.
And the farther you go, the more down-home it gets. Eastport is awesome.

Check it out here:
http://davenola.blogspot.com/search?...date=false&m=1
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:27 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I'll focus on Maine.

If you stay near the shore you should not have big issues with bugs.

While in ME, I encourage you to see THE REAL MAINE.

This means yes do see Bar Harbor, Acadia NP and such, but the real Maine begins after Bar Harbor. Bah Hawbah is pretty much a place to pay too much for foreign made T-shirts.

After BH, every road to the right leads to the shore or a cove. You will find villages with restaurants that have better and cheaper food than the tourist spots.
In mid August the wild blueberries are full, and 10 to 13 a quart in BH, but as little as $3 a quart in Whiting and other towns further along. And the lobster is much cheaper farther "Downeast" also.
And the farther you go, the more down-home it gets. Eastport is awesome.

Check it out here:
Dave and Nola's Adventures
Dave,

Thanks for your reply. Would you recommend staying in the Bar Harbor area as a base, or stay a little farther up the coast?
Any CG recommendations?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 02-07-2014, 07:06 AM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
Katadin Shadows campground at the southern entrance to Baxter State Park if you would like to see the interior of Maine.
inspecterbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwit View Post
Dave, Thanks for your reply. Would you recommend staying in the Bar Harbor area as a base, or stay a little farther up the coast? Any CG recommendations? Thanks, Jeff
We stayed away from the crowds.

Sunset Point Campground was our choice. It put us within reach of Bar Harbor, and the extra special East Port.
http://www.sunsetpointcampground.com

This gives you a feel for how nice the campground was. http://davenola.blogspot.com/2012/08...on-me.html?m=1

Happy trails
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:43 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
The Freedom Trail is a must see in Boston. See NPS link here

My advice: do not drive into Boston! It is congested, the streets do not run parallel and parking is awful. Go to a suburb such as Braintree and take the subway instead. The subway is America's oldest and is interesting in its own right. If you're into baseball, Fenway Park is also good to go into if you can get tickets.
MoeBelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:40 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Has anyone stayed at the Circle CG campground near Boston? Reviews look decent, but everyone seems to say either stay at Minuteman or Normandy Farms. Just wondering why.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 02-07-2014, 11:49 AM   #9

After living in Maine I would suggest the area around Rockland (Owls Head, South Thomaston, Spruce Head, Rockland. Rockport, Camden on up to Belfast) is worth seeing. There is a large blues festival and lobster festival in Rockland along with the schooners that sail out of those places. Bar Harbor is a tourist trap but probably worth it just for a drive up Cadillac Mountain and the Acadia park roads. Less visited and more scenic is Schoodic Point.

If you only have 3 days in Maine don't think I'd recommend a drive all the way down east to see Eastport unless you're into seeing abandoned buildings. As Tim Sample once said "If Greyhound took food stamps we'd all be out of here"

I'd also bring plenty of Deep Woods Off. The black fly is the State Bird who's only predator is the mosquito. To maximize the time you have to spend in sightseeing I wouldn't bother heading east to the coast from the interstate until you got at least as far north as Augusta.
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:33 PM   #10

After living in Maine for around 20 years I would suggest the area around Rockland (Owls Head, South Thomaston, Spruce Head, Rockland. Rockport, Camden on up to Belfast) is worth seeing. Belfast is a centrally located mid coast town that will allow you to take the car on trips north and south easily. There is a large blues festival and lobster festival in Rockland (probably won't coincide with your schedule through) along with the schooners that sail out of those places. Bar Harbor is a tourist trap but probably worth it just for a drive up Cadillac Mountain and the Acadia park roads. Less visited and more scenic is Schoodic Point.

If you only have 3 days in Maine don't think I'd recommend a drive all the way down east to see Eastport unless you're into seeing abandoned buildings. As Tim Sample once said "If Greyhound took food stamps we'd all be out of here"

I'd also bring plenty of Deep Woods Off. The black fly is the State Bird who's only predator is the mosquito. To maximize the time you have to spend in sightseeing I wouldn't bother heading east to the coast from the interstate until you got at least as far north as Augusta. Take Rt 3 from Augusta east to Belfast. There is a nice campground overlooking the bay just north of the town
Old 02-07-2014, 05:05 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwit View Post
Has anyone stayed at the Circle CG campground near Boston? Reviews look decent, but everyone seems to say either stay at Minuteman or Normandy Farms. Just wondering why.

Thanks,
Jeff
Have stayed at Circle G and Normandy Farms, and still recommend Boston
Minuteman for convenience, price and visiting Boston.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:34 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Any opinions on when to visit? We're thinking the second week of September, but can move that earlier or later if there is a better time. Are things still open and up and running then?
Old 02-09-2014, 03:33 PM   #13

The second week of August seems to have the best weather window, but in Maine you just never know. We always prayed that summer would come on a weekend. That's why we don't live there any more
Old 02-09-2014, 06:07 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by datrbone8 View Post
The second week of August seems to have the best weather window, but in Maine you just never know. We always prayed that summer would come on a weekend. That's why we don't live there any more
Are the crowds significantly bigger mid-August vs early/mid-September?

Tags
vent