Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2011, 02:42 PM   #1

Wink The Phoenix Conundrum

We are currently parked in the Pheonix area and once again I am confounded by the abysmal quality & choice one has for RV Parks. Why is everything in this City a 1000+ mobile home "village" where the overnight or short term space consists of a "gravel field" dotted with concrete patio pads. The average site size is around 25' X 50' and that's it.... No trees, bushes, Picnic tables, "no nothin"....oh ya and that will be $45 + tax + $5 p/ day p/ dog.....do you want a washroom key, wi-fi or laundry cuz that will "extra".

Why do people come here and stay for months on end? If RVing meant staying in these parks I'd be done.....yet we enjoy Phoenix.. We love the warm weather at this time of year, the mountain biking in the desert, the hiking, the great golf & the endless arts, sports & cultural activities.... Just can't stand the RV parks!

Has anyone found a decent place to stay in this town?
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2011, 03:06 PM   #2

just outside Phoenix is the town of Buckeye. They have a campground called Leaf Verde which is an open gravel field with small trees and not a lot of space between campers. But the price is only 350 a month for the winter months, plus electric( I stayed the month of October and my electric bill was only 39 for 22 days. My air ran alot because it was 100 for 14 of the 22 days. It includes wifi but not cable. You can get the basic channels with no problem. They have a heated pool and a real nice laundry room and nice bathrooms. Lots of planned activites for winter guests and very nice staff. I would not hesitate to stay there for the winter. It has a Walmart within 2 miles and plenty of restaurants and retail shops. Very close to Phoenix. Very easy to get to the mountains for biking.
mga60tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 05:14 PM   #3

iRV2 No Limits Club
Mesa and Apache Junction has some nice parks ranging from bare bones to the monster parks you deplore. Tempe has a couple of bare bones parks (hook ups but no WiFi) right on the Light Rail route.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 05:44 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
yet we enjoy Phoenix.. We love the warm weather at this time of year, the mountain biking in the desert, the hiking, the great golf & the endless arts, sports & cultural activities....
And there's your "reason" why people like you do it. Either accept the parks as is for what you want in the area or go to a different area.

Simple!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:42 AM   #5

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

Destiny RV park in Surprise AZ, just outside and west of Phoenix has Orange/grapefruit trees, some grass, nice pool and not a mega park. Close to several spring training facilities, a county dog park about 5 miles away. I have stayed rthere for a week each of the last 5 years in Feb.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:53 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Those "Villages" don't want You....or ....Me and having stayed at one for 2 Nights several Years ago I don't want to stay there either!

The one where we stayed is basically some 1500 plus Lots with semi permanent "Park Models" in various stages of decrepidness! We had Relatives ,Renting a Unit over the Winter .

That was the only reason that we bothered staying and were choked at the price We were charged.

They on the other hand were paying about $250 a month to Rent the Unit that They were in. It was for Sale at the time for $3000 . They were smart enough Not to buy! They stayed from Oct thru March!
Old 11-26-2011, 05:32 PM   #7

Many thanks for the input.... It does not appear that anyone has found any of the "private-resort" style parks to be winners. As a " tip" the two state parks (1) Cave Creek (2) McDowell ... Are great places to camp.... Mountain biking & hiking right outside your site... Golf everywhere and literally hundreds of feet between the sites. The only drawback to either is the distance to the city center and the sites do not have sewer hook-ups.

Cheers
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:56 PM   #8

Quote:

Why do people come here and stay for months on end?

We love the warm weather at this time of year, the mountain biking in the desert, the hiking, the great golf & the endless arts, sports & cultural activities..

It seems to me you have asked and then answered your own question in the same post.

Sequim Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:43 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Many thanks for the input.... It does not appear that anyone has found any of the "private-resort" style parks to be winners. As a " tip" the two state parks (1) Cave Creek (2) McDowell ... Are great places to camp.... Mountain biking & hiking right outside your site... Golf everywhere and literally hundreds of feet between the sites. The only drawback to either is the distance to the city center and the sites do not have sewer hook-ups.

Cheers
There is another county park at Usery Pass. Same as Cave creek, etc. There are dozens of traveler parks in Mesa, Gold Cyn (east of Apache Jn).

We just got back from 4 days of Dry Camping east of Florence, AZ. There were about 30-40 kids and kids' friends at various times. We had 6 campers (in tents to Class A rigs and all in between.

They had a variety of quads, Rangers, Razrs [sp?], dirt bikes ect. I believe we all had a ball.

If you can't find something to suit your desires out here, you aren't looking.

I have been here 50 years and camped in averything you can imagine. Never been dissappointed.

I live In Mesa w/in1 mile of 10-12 resort adult type parks.

Send me a PM with specifics of your wants/needs/

Dean

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote