Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2013, 09:19 AM   #15
HHg

I would venture a bet that those of us who have RV'd for very long have had such an experience. If a campground has no website, pics and reviews, I ain't staying.

Hhg

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2013, 09:45 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHg View Post
I would venture a bet that those of us who have RV'd for very long have had such an experience. If a campground has no website, pics and reviews, I ain't staying.

Hhg
Sometimes you just don't have a choice. You need to be in the area and they're the only game in town. For instance, an extended stay in Henderson NC. Three years ago could only find Tobacco Farm Campground. 5 rv spaces 3 with 50 amp. Took a chance and was glad we did. We have been back 2 more times for work related extended stays. I have added them to iRV2 's reviews and RV reviews.com. unfortunately for us that meant having to end our contract early due to reservations & no place to park the rv within a reasonable drive to the job site. So reviewing a park is good, but it can come back and get you also.

I thought I had done a review here but I couldn't find it. So I just added it.

dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:28 AM   #17

I was surveying a lot for the owner to subdivide into 3 lots. I set up on a nice hill at the top of the property. Looking thru the instrument at the target, suddenly the image began to shake so violently I couldn't focus the image regardless of what I did to steady the transit. This went on for a minute or so. Then the noise started. A deep rumbling. Then the engineer hit the horn. Train took about 10 minutes to pass. Then another 1 or 2 for the vibration to subside.

Up the hill walked the owner. After the din subsided, I asked him, "What attracted you to this spot? Did you know you were next to the tracks?"
He said, "Yeah, isn't it great!!?" He worked weekends at the State Train Museum in Sacramento, CA restoring old locomotives & cars. In every collection of hardware, you have to have some wing nuts.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:42 AM   #18

Gulf Streamers Club
Since some of these travel stories were about stopping after dark and leaving in the morning, why pay for a bad experience when Walmart, Home Depot, Cracker Barrel let you stay free? If I'm traveling and only looking for a parking space, why stop at a campground and pay for pool, laundry, expensive camp store, playground, etc. when I'm just passing through? Even a truck stop can provide a better experience. JMHO.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:56 AM   #19

I just returned to a trip thru Texas on april the 1st. Was stuck on as closed highway 8 miles North of Waco on 35. No detour signs just flashing light saying road closed from 7PM till 7AM. called a bunch of wally worlds off my GPS and most said no overnight parking. Found a Sams North of Austin and stayed there. Parked about 11PM and was gone by 7AM. When Texas needs to close a highway they need to provide a detour. 10 mile dead stop line. Should of just dropped my jacks and run the slide outs on HWY35. Didn't think I could have squeaked thrugh the median with a 45ftr, but did.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:28 PM   #20

There's a Walmart just off I-40 in Amarillo
Easy off easy on.
The amenities include shopping and nearby restaurants.
There were over 30 RVs there each of the nights 3 or 4 nights we "overnighted" there while on cross country trips.
I can't understand why owners of RVs capable of dry camping for days on end don't take advantage of Walmart's convenient overnight stops.
My 2 cents.
Mel
'96 Sahara
Old 05-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Since some of these travel stories were about stopping after dark and leaving in the morning, why pay for a bad experience when Walmart, Home Depot, Cracker Barrel let you stay free? If I'm traveling and only looking for a parking space, why stop at a campground and pay for pool, laundry, expensive camp store, playground, etc. when I'm just passing through? Even a truck stop can provide a better experience. JMHO.
PLUS, they refund your money if you are not satisfied!
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 05-09-2013, 02:12 PM   #22

In our case we needed full hook up because we were headed to 3 days of dry camping. We needed to empty the tanks and get fresh water.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:04 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Crazy Women RV Park in Gillette, WY was just that. The pictures looked great but unless I was at the wrong place, it sure didn't look like the pictures.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:06 PM   #24

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
In 2009 we went to Disney World stayed at Fort Wilderness for a week,great time there. On the way down we stayed in Ormond Beach,just north of Daytona, at The Coral Sands,from the brochue they sent me it looked great,its a hotel and campground,full hookups,and right on the beach, the lobby was bright and clean where I paid $75.00 per night, the pool,laundry room and shower room were terrible,the pool was so bad my wife, sister or niece wouldn't go in it and they are pool people,did you see the revenge of the nerds movie? You'll get the picture, but we were right on the beach,so I guess it was,LOCATION,LOCATION,LOCATION other than that we had a good time.
RV LYONS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:36 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpspuck View Post
We were traveling to Frisco Texas last Wednesday from Colorado. The winds were really bad and we decided to play it safe and stop for the ending as the gusts were getting very strong. We were close to Amarillo TX. We looked on line and saw that the Over Night RV park was close(should have looked for reviews.....) we pulled in and filled out a night drop with our payment. The water was brown.....and worse yet, we realized that we were in the landing zone for the airport..... Our coach shook every time a plane landed....we were tired, cold and could not drive anymore. I would not have even cared about the $30 we had put into the drop envelope if we were in any condition to move.....lesson learned....always look for reviews.....
Sorry you had a bad experience there. We have used that park twice now on our way out west, and yes it is older, but we had no problems at all. We would stay there again. Sure you have planes there, but they didn't bother us. Heck, it's hard to get away from planes, trains, and automobiles ,,,,, in a big city.... I feel your pain about the winds !!!!! I have come to figure anywhere west of Tulsa and the wind Never stops !!
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:48 AM   #26
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Monkey,
You passed right by Oasis RV Park. We have stayed there before and it is a nice park. Shucks, darn! Sorry for your experience.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:25 AM   #27
doc

Appalachian Campers
Ditto on the Crossed Eyed Cricket between Nashville and Knoxville. Would have been OK with a small TT but a large MH - just keep on driving. Fences on the approach road were nearly against the pavement and there was no way to meet another vehicle. Did sleep pretty well, as the storm during the night felled a couple of trees and I never heard the thunder.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:43 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
We did one like that. I booked a site on the Internet. It was a beautiful campground on the ocean just North of Vancouver called Porteau Cove. We got there about 9:00PM. A train came by about 11:00PM about 30 ft. From our site. I thought, OK, that was probably the last train so we bedded down for the night. Suddenly at 1:00AM we were nearly shaken out of our beds. OMG! I said to DW. Then at 3:00AM another train. Finally after the 5:00AM train arrived, I said that's it. We're leaving.!
I actually love the Porteau Cove campground. Great base for exploring in the Vancouver, BC area.

To be fair though, I grew up in a house 100 meters from the Canadian Pacific Main Line in southern Alberta. Many, many trains go through there in a day.

Norm