Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2013, 09:19 PM   #1

Think we found the worst location ever!

We were traveling to Frisco Texas last Wednesday from Colorado. The winds were really bad and we decided to play it safe and stop for the ending as the gusts were getting very strong. We were close to Amarillo TX. We looked on line and saw that the Over Night RV park was close(should have looked for reviews.....) we pulled in and filled out a night drop with our payment. The water was brown.....and worse yet, we realized that we were in the landing zone for the airport..... Our coach shook every time a plane landed....we were tired, cold and could not drive anymore. I would not have even cared about the $30 we had put into the drop envelope if we were in any condition to move.....lesson learned....always look for reviews.....
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2013, 09:41 PM   #2

Sorry to hear about your bad experience! We had a similar eye opening experience last October when we were coming back to Kansas from attending a wedding in NC. We stopped at the "RV Express" campground in Boonville, Missouri already aware that the reviews were iffy but figuring we would be there all of 12 hours before we moved on. My wife hopped out of the truck to help me back the trailer into the spot and once we had it just where we wanted it, I got out of the truck to start disconnecting when she said to me, "Be careful when you're hooking up the water hose to the water connection because I saw a wad of hypodermic needles sitting over there!"
TurboLQ9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:54 PM   #3

It must have really been bad if you remembered that AFTER the Buffett show!
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:12 PM   #4
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
We did one like that. I booked a site on the Internet. It was a beautiful campground on the ocean just North of Vancouver called Porteau Cove. We got there about 9:00PM. A train came by about 11:00PM about 30 ft. From our site. I thought, OK, that was probably the last train so we bedded down for the night. Suddenly at 1:00AM we were nearly shaken out of our beds. OMG! I said to DW. Then at 3:00AM another train. Finally after the 5:00AM train arrived, I said that's it. We're leaving.

That's our worst site story. Not one I want to relive any time soon!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:36 PM   #5

Let Google Earth be your friend and you won't have any surprises. Texas Welcome centers allow overnighting on their parking lots and have a guard sitting there all night too. We just did that on the east side of Amarillo and was off the freeway far enough it wasn't noisy at all.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:49 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
tpspuck

If in that area again, The Cross Ministry (the Big Cross) at Groom, TX just east of Amarillo allows you to park over night. When we last went through there in April, it was late, the wind was blowing and we were tired so we pulled in, dry camped til morning and then looked around in the morning without any one bothering us and it was quiet.

Happy Trails

Tom and Barb
2000 Bounder 39Z
tnrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:38 AM   #7

I forgot to mention the trains and trucks with engine brakes.....
Old 05-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpspuck View Post
We were traveling to Frisco Texas last Wednesday from Colorado. The winds were really bad and we decided to play it safe and stop for the ending as the gusts were getting very strong. We were close to Amarillo TX. We looked on line and saw that the Over Night RV park was close(should have looked for reviews.....) we pulled in and filled out a night drop with our payment. The water was brown.....and worse yet, we realized that we were in the landing zone for the airport..... Our coach shook every time a plane landed....we were tired, cold and could not drive anymore. I would not have even cared about the $30 we had put into the drop envelope if we were in any condition to move.....lesson learned....always look for reviews.....

No we found the worst outside Hammond LA on the east side, same here didnt check first
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:46 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Apparently you've never stayed at the KOA in Granite city Missouri

Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:03 AM   #10

A few years back, we needed to stop near Wentsville, MO and saw a sign for a campground just off of I 70. It was dark and late December and the campground did not look all that great, but ok for a 8 hour stopover and rest. The driveway was gravel and as the manager guided me in, I saw where a large vehicle had gotten stuck in the middle of the driveway and had pretty well messed up the road for the next guy. I stopped and got out to inquire from the manager if there was another site on another driveway. He said not to worry, because he would pull me out if I got stuck. I saw a small farm tractor about the size of my yard mower. I had a 40 ft. DP and was not at all interested in his offer to pull me out. He was not happy that I backed up and found another driveway and campsite for the night. I think we were the only campers. I check the reviews now before checking in.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:26 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wow, makes the state park in GA we stopped for a couple of nights seem quite palacial. Our only problem was the water & sewer hookups were on the passenger side while the electric was on the drivers. other than that, great view, quiet, good place to walk.

burfurd
Old 05-09-2013, 07:36 AM   #12

DOGPATCH-

Thanks for the reference. I LOVE trains...I would have been up all nite WAITING for the next one. Then I'd let my partner drive all day the next day!
Old 05-09-2013, 08:05 AM   #13

Pretty tough to get far from trains and highway traffic at Porteau Cove. I pulled off the highway late at night and curled up on the seat best I could for some sleep. I was too tired to notice the tracks. Didn't hear the train coming but sure heard the horn ten feet in front of my truck. Wide awake now so hit the road.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:11 AM   #14

Might I suggest you submit reviews for these campgrounds at www.campgroundreviews.com? I looked up a few mentioned and on the surface they don't look that bad.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote