Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2015, 07:51 AM   #43
JDT

We did a 4500 mile loop from Oklahoma to Minnesota, North Dakota, Montana, Wyoming and Colorado in 2013. Our stops included a family reunion in Minnesota, Bismarck, N.D., Teddy Roosevelt NP, Little Big Horn, Glacier NP, Yellowstone and Rocky Mountain NP plus several stops for overnighting between the longer stretches. We took 6 weeks and it was a load. Just my humble opinion but if you are not careful you may find yourself driving more than seeing in the 18 days you have.

JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2015, 10:22 AM   #44

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
.We took 6 weeks and it was a load. Just my humble opinion but if you are not careful you may find yourself driving more than seeing in the 18 days you have.
And that's in my mind too, six days will be driving there and back. Probably a single night at Rushmore, then on to Yellowstone for a few days then rmnp for the rest of the time, maybe five days each. Not nearly enough, but hopefully suitable to wet the whistle.

sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:57 AM   #45

I briefly read the thread but didn't catch whether you liked boondocking or more developed campgrounds with full hookups. If it is more the boondocking style then I suggest Hermit Park near Estes Park. Specifically the Bobcat section which has long level sites in the trees. Many areas are cleared of trees due to pine beetles but I believe Hermit Park still has the trees. Here is our scouting trip, with pictures of the sites.
1994 Brave 29RQ RV: Estes Park Hermit Park Campground exploration

Here is our trip. Pictures of the fabulous hike from the Bobcat area near the end.
1994 Brave 29RQ RV: Hermit Park Campground and hiking

Our blog may be useful in your research if you like boondocking, National Forest Service and State Park campgrounds. We seldom stay at commercial parks so don't have much info on those.

If you can fit Glenwood Canyon into your agenda I don't think you will regret it. So many sites, so little time...I was going to try and suggest my favorites but you can't go wrong with your plan to see the major western national parks in the area. The only thing that might go wrong is being too rushed to really see the area.

We've done most of your planned route feel free to ask specific questions if you think we can help.

Edit: Just reread your initial post and saw the info. about telescope. One of the easy access "dark" areas along your route is Vedawoo on the Colorado Wyoming border.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...e_Wyoming.html

There is both a National Forest Campground
http://1994brave29rqrv.blogspot.com/...-monument.html

And an easy access boondocking in the national forest area right next to it.
http://1994brave29rqrv.blogspot.com/...-national.html

2nd edit: Verizon has the best cell coverage for camping. If you can get a Verizon phone for a month while here if you don't already have one. Walmart has them cheap on a month to month basis and you can cancel the service after the month.

If your planning to do any hiking get a Colorado Search and Rescue Card. They are cheap at $3 a year or $12 for 5 years.
http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite.../1251592090523
Why Buy a CORSAR Card?
Colorado residents and visitors are well served by dedicated volunteer search and rescue teams, but mission costs are often in the thousands of dollars. By purchasing a CORSAR card you are contributing to the Search and Rescue Fund, which will reimburse these teams for costs incurred in your search and rescue. Funds remaining at the end of the year are used to help pay for training and equipment for these teams. Anyone who purchases a current hunting/fishing license, or boat, snowmobile, ATV registration already contributes to the fund.

You can buy them over the internet.
https://dola.colorado.gov/sar/orderInstructions.jsf
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:08 AM   #46

I glanced thru some posts and all great suggestions. I may have missed it but didn't see anything about Ridgway State Park. Great spots w/hookups along the river, where you can fish and hear the water! #258 I think was ours. Perfection! It's also a great location for day trip to Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park and Silverton/Ouray. We love that whole area. Mesa Verde Ntl Pk also is fantastic! The whole area in Ridgway is full of great off-road trails and trout fishing, which by the way I caught THREE as a first timer!! You'll have a wonderful trip!
Old 04-17-2015, 05:07 PM   #47

If your itinerary takes you to Southern Colorado...Pagosa Springs is east of Durango and has a really nice Hot Springs Resort in town right on the San Juan river. You can sit in the springs and watch people raft down the San Juan, or someone might be fly fishing right in the middle of town. Anyway, it's a beautiful area of Colorado with a few campgrounds close to town. This is on our radar as a place to retire too someday.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:39 PM   #48

I think it depends on what you want to see. I lived in Colorado for 8 years. I would rec0ommend going to cheyenne Wy for the rodeo week, hell of a blast. Also Colorado springs and Pikes peak, then to the Pueblo ruins on the way toAspen from Colo Sp., Vail, so many things to see and there. Just a bueatiful state.
Old 05-10-2015, 01:07 AM   #49

Appalachian Campers
Ok, screw the torpedoes, I'm doing it.

I'm heading north from Georgia, it's a 150 mile difference for me to go to Wisconsin vs. heading straight across to Mount Rushmore, so I'm going to Wausau, WI. to visit a friend. Overnight there, then a big day (800+ miles, only one on this voyage.) headed from WI to Mount Rushmore. Two nights at Rushmore, leaving on the second day to travel to Yellowstone. Five nights in Yellowstone (Not enough I'm sure.) then I'm headed to Kemmerer, MT. for two nights so I can spend a day and a half at Fossil Butte NP.

Then, on to RMNP for five nights, Bogon Flats CG in left central CO.

After that it's blazing a trail home, two nights at truck stops.

I've got my CGs booked for the most part, Horsethief CG at Rushmore, Three Mile CG at Yellowstone, and Bogon Flats in CO. I haven't reserved in Kemmerer yet, they don't do online at the CG I want.

Lots of USFS CGs, which is my preference.

All told, my estimates are, $340 in camping fees, 4600 miles, 11MPG estimated, 418 gallons of diesel at $3.00 a gallon (I hope), $1,254 in fuel. So just under $1,600 in expenses, I'll need to work on my food, fuel for running around, activities, etc but I think under $2,000 is achievable. The job reluctantly said OK, they don't want me gone that long, so I guess nothing to it but to do it!

Here goes nothing, this is by far the biggest trip I've ever embarked upon. I'm excited, but quite nervous at the same time. There's a lot going on right now, but I feel I need this trip to offset those things.
Old 05-10-2015, 01:53 AM   #50

Lost Lake Campground is pretty nice

but might be a bit remote as the interstate doesn't go past the front gate.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:28 AM   #51

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Bogan Flats looks like a great place, but it certainly isn't in Rocky Mountain National Park which is what I understand your abbreviation RMNP to mean. It certainly is in the Rockies.

I will be interested in what ou think of Fossil Butte. I haven't been there yet.
UTTransplant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:34 AM   #52

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTTransplant View Post
Bogan Flats looks like a great place, but it certainly isn't in Rocky Mountain National Park which is what I understand your abbreviation RMNP to mean. It certainly is in the Rockies.

I will be interested in what ou think of Fossil Butte. I haven't been there yet.
Interestingly enough, there's not a lot of RV camping available in RMNP itself. Scads of tent camping, but no roughing it smoothly to be had, but that's ok, RMNP is a starting point of reference, I'm just south and still in the Rockies.

Yesterday saw a change of plans. I was looking at the map and realized I was reasonably close to Bonneville, which got me wondering about speedweek. Guess what? Speedweek starts on August 8th, so I changed it from Fossil Butte to Salt Lake City, I'll run over first thing in the morning and soak up all I can stand! I'm as excited for that one day as I am the rest of the trip!
Old 05-11-2015, 01:45 PM   #53

There's plenty of RV camping in RMNP. Glacier Basin and Moraine campgrounds are wonderful! We volunteered at Glacier Basin and the hiking in that area is awesome.

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
colorado, guide