Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2013, 09:19 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank God there are some people who are willing to do what you want to. Otherwise we wouldn't have any place to stay in our RV's. Many of them must be successful or else they would all be closed.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2013, 10:02 PM   #30

Level sites, that are level for big rigs. Some seem to think that just barely level for a popup is OK for a 45' bus.

I liked the overnight site with electric only. That's a neat idea, even better if the power pedestal could take the payment. 12 hours of electric of the price.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:22 PM   #31

Investigate how much RV traffic comes by. Is it in a desireable area? Why would folks like to stay there? Are there a lot of RV parks nearby that would be competing for your business? Drive through them and see how many RVers stay in those parks at this time of year. What do those parks offer, what are their prices and can you match them? Are there things to do in the immediate area? Also, being in Pennsylvania it's probably going to be a 3-season campground. Can you afford that? You have a lot of thinking to do to see if it's feasible. Good luck!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:23 PM   #32

Buying a campground

Here is what the owner of our favorite campground did. He worked with the owner for one year to see if he would like the job responsibility. Have an area with fairly big rec. hall for groups. Have a tractor trailer sized rim for a large group campfire. If you have more land available don't expand too fast. Have a mix of seasonal and transient campers.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:30 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian313 View Post
My wife and I have been talking about buying a campground since we bought our first motor home 18 months ago and went to cape may nj. There is a campground that is for sale about 35-45 minutes from where I live now. This place will need some work but could be a nice place I think. It's located right off a highway and would be no problems to get a big rig into the entrance. I'm really looking for advise on what to look for and if a deal can be reached what everyone would want in a "prefect" campground. I know there is no such place but I think giving the easy access it maybe worth while looking into. I'm not looking to get rich off the place but just make enough that it pays it's own bills. Please let me know what think about my idea and if it comes to be who will stop in for a day or two. Thanks for all your help on this one.
We were just taking about that. Lol. I think I would really enjoy owning a campground. Good luck to y'all!
Mossy cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:44 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
Thank God there are some people who are willing to do what you want to. Otherwise we wouldn't have any place to stay in our RV's. Many of them must be successful or else they would all be closed.
THANK YOU! Almost every response/opinion on this thread seems to be negative, but if it weren't for people like this, WE would not have a decent place to park our RV's. I had a TT membership, and even with all of their resources, most of the CG's I went to were horrible! The funny thing is around the same time this thread was posted, my DW and I were talking about purchasing a CG. If you know what RVers want, and can provide it at your CG, then you're destined for success. I say go for it, and best wishes!
Tourbustoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:52 AM   #35

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The thing to look for is a DISCOUNT.. I know of many campground where 10 cents on the dollar is MORE than the new owner paid the bank. In fact I spend half my summer in one.

As others have said.. Reserve a site for yourself and live in it... It does not matter if you personally manage the CG or hire a professional CG manager.. The fact you live there will mean you will see what goes on.. You do not have to let the clients knwo who you are but a suggestion is to have a "Free Coffee" period every morning,, Just coffee. bring your own donuts.. And be there.. Take your laptop and surf the forums while you join the other clients for coffee.

If there are problems.. Sure as I'm typing, your customers will be talking about 'em over coffee (epically if they do not know who you are) and may even have the answers.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:29 AM   #36

I really don't think that many of us are trying to be negative. Rather, it's making the point that owning a business, especially a campground, requires a lot of on-site supervision and working. So...if you want to enjoy your motorhome and travel frequently...it may be very, very difficult while owning and managing a campground.
I've talked to the owner of a KOA here in Ohio, and during the season, they're very busy and spend long hours running the business. During the winter, they have time to take off and get a break. I think this may well end up being your situation if you buy a campground. Now, if that's OK with you, then it could be a "good thing" and be a sound financial investment. But with any business investment, it's boils down to whether the profit margin is worth the amount of hours invested
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:41 AM   #37

I was thinking about not having any add ons because I believe camping should be something that a family can do together weather you have no kids or 5+ kids. I also think that pets are part of the family. I do not like staying at places that have a rule for everything. With that being said I would only have a few rules that I would tolerate them being broke. 1. No unleashed pets and no aggressive breeds of dogs 2. No illegal drugs and no underage drinking. 3. Quite time would be from 10-8 (that could be changed depending on what everyone would like) 4. No profanity, or anything that is meant to be offensive toward anyone. As I really do want this to be a safe family place. 5. Just be nice and respectful to your neighbor.

I think tomorrow when I get home from work I'm going to go and look around at the cg im thinking about buying. It looks like it had been closed for years and probably has been for sale just as long. I think what I'm thinking about doing is getting a hold of the current owner and find out all the details including why it was closed. If everything checks out I might try to work out a lease deal for a year or two and see how it goes. If there is potential there then buy it. If there is no potential there then I can walk away knowing that I tried. I have not thought about rates yet but I do really like the idea of a $10-$15 a night site for people that are just passing through and need a place to stay for the night. Another thing that I would want to add wound be a place to empty your tanks on the way out of the over night sites.

I'm kind of hopping that tomorrow when I go look at this place it's not a huge disappointment.
Brian313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:46 AM   #38

My wife is on board with running the day to day operations and all the book keeping as that was been what she has done at get current job for the past 10 years. I will try to post pictures of the entry to the cg and of the inside if I can into it.
Brian313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:14 AM   #39

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
My wife and I have been talking about buying a campground since we bought our first motor home 18 months ago and went to cape may nj. There is a campground that is for sale about 35-45 minutes from where I live now. This place will need some work but could be a nice place I think. It's located right off a highway and would be no problems to get a big rig into the entrance. I'm really looking for advise on what to look for and if a deal can be reached what everyone would want in a "prefect" campground. I know there is no such place but I think giving the easy access it maybe worth while looking into. I'm not looking to get rich off the place but just make enough that it pays it's own bills. Please let me know what think about my idea and if it comes to be who will stop in for a day or two. Thanks for all your help on this one.
Working your butt off to break even doesn't sound like something *I* would pursue, but if you LOVE the work then it's paradise, right?

Think about this: A CG is either THE DESTINATION, or 'on the way' to THE DESTINATION. For your CG to be THE DESTINATION you either have to have amenities that will entice people to spend an extended stay with you, or have close proximity to a place with those amenities (think, CG next door to Disney World, or CG at the Grand Canyon).

If your CG is merely on the way to the destination, then it must be convenient to the highway to THE DESTINATION, and providing economical accommodations for overnighters would become your niche. Enticing them to stay an extra night or two, or selling them trinkets and doodads in your CG store will be your challenge.

Just my $.02. Good luck!
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:00 PM   #40

Quote:
I was thinking about not having any add ons because I believe camping should be something that a family can do together weather you have no kids or 5+ kids. I also think that pets are part of the family. I do not like staying at places that have a rule for everything. With that being said I would only have a few rules that I would tolerate them being broke. 1. No unleashed pets and no aggressive breeds of dogs 2. No illegal drugs and no underage drinking. 3. Quite time would be from 10-8 (that could be changed depending on what everyone would like) 4. No profanity, or anything that is meant to be offensive toward anyone. As I really do want this to be a safe family place. 5. Just be nice and respectful to your neighbor.

I think tomorrow when I get home from work I'm going to go and look around at the cg im thinking about buying. It looks like it had been closed for years and probably has been for sale just as long. I think what I'm thinking about doing is getting a hold of the current owner and find out all the details including why it was closed. If everything checks out I might try to work out a lease deal for a year or two and see how it goes. If there is potential there then buy it. If there is no potential there then I can walk away knowing that I tried. I have not thought about rates yet but I do really like the idea of a $10-$15 a night site for people that are just passing through and need a place to stay for the night. Another thing that I would want to add wound be a place to empty your tanks on the way out of the over night sites.

I'm kind of hopping that tomorrow when I go look at this place it's not a huge disappointment.
While I love the idea of $10-$15/night for those passing through, I think $25-$30 is still very affordable, and will still give you some profit. The way I see it, you're providing a safe place for someone to spend the night, especially for a family with young ones.
Tourbustoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:59 PM   #41

If you're interested in being pet friendly think about changing the no aggressive "breeds" of dogs to no aggressive dogs.
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:04 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by datrbone8 View Post
If you're interested in being pet friendly think about changing the no aggressive "breeds" of dogs to no aggressive dogs.
I agree. But no Pitt bulls. Stereotype or not with some that are nice, I don't want to be around them and take that chance. Saw a bad bite the other night from this guy's "pet " Pitt bull
Mossy cat is offline   Reply With Quote