Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:35 AM   #1
This Year's Trip - West & North

last year was Newfoundland ... which was excellent.

This year, I was able to get 4 weeks off of work and with the low cost of gasoline decided this is the year to go back out West and then up to the Yukon. I leave in one week!

I'll be driving from Toronto with the first "destination" being Waterton National Park in southwest Alberta. Still debating whether to drop down into Montana for seeing Glacier National Park and the Going to the Sun Road. The debate mainly depends on taking a chance since I have no reservations for Glacier. I may do a properly planned trip to Glacier, pardon the pun, down the road.

Part of my trip is to go to parts of British Columbia that I've never been to before. That includes heading over to Stewart, BC/Hyder Alaska to see the Bear and Salmon glaciers. May also stop in at Hyder to see the bears feeding at the Wildlife station.

From here, I will head up the Cassiar highway 37 to the Yukon. Looking forward to the scenery and wildlife on this highway. Once on the AlCan, I'll head back East since I've been here before and definitely want to spend more time staying at campgrounds along the Alaska highway.

For most of the trip, I've made no reservations since where I'm going is off the beaten track and BC has many places for boondocking.

This year, I will have a kayak and that will introduce a new element of experiencing the scenery ... all of which I will be capturing on new 4K cameras (a Sony RX10 ii and DJI OSMO steady cam). I spent the winter and spring learning the ins/outs of both of these cameras and am now confortable with knowing what settings to be using during my trip. Video examples can be found here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpE...yGyPL538rBCE_w

I've taken my RV out a couple of times this past spring and subsequently had brake work done and the typical oil change so it's all ready to go. It has had suspension work done last Fall and new tires late last Summer. All I need to do now is pack the RV.

Last time I was on the Alaska highway, in the Yukon, I ran into one scenario where I got to a half tank as I arrived at the gas station (which was no longer in business) and wasn't sure I had enough gas to turn around and go back vs take a chance and continue on to the next town. I chose to go on and what a sigh of relief when that gas station was open. This time, I am bringing two extra fuel cans since my RV is a V10 and want that added cushion. Normally, I fill the gas tank once it reaches 1/2.

I'll post links to the photos and videos later this summer.

To my American friends ... Happy 4th of July!!

scubastevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2016, 07:43 AM   #2

Sounds like you have an ambitious and fun trip ahead of you. I was at Glacier Nat'l Park last summer for nine days, and I would have loved to have spent more time there.

Good luck with your plans.

Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee,with Hemi, hooked up with a Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 03:44 PM   #3
Trip is Done!!

first two weeks, the weather was bad ... high winds, cloudy and rainy! But, the weather did co-operate for my first destination of Waterton Lakes National Park and also my primary destination of Salmon glacier. Very interesting crossing into Alaska without having to go to any Customs office ... only when re-entering Canada.

While at Red Rock Canyon, on a trail to Blakiston falls, I spoke with an American couple and mentioned they would be the 2nd and 3rd people at the falls ... they told me that was great and not like Glacier N.P. where they would have no chance of having a scenic front-country trail to themselves. That comment and the fact that I had no reservations for Glacier NP made me decide not to attempt to get down there and travel the Going to the Sun Road ... will dedicate another trip to do that.

Here's the video, shot in 4K but can be viewed in lower resolutions by clicking the gear symbol in the lower right corner.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:46 PM   #4
Scubastevee great video.
Barry & Martha Trueman
2014 Bay Star Sport 2702
2008 Goldwing 2006 Harley FLHT
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 03:24 PM   #5
Thanks purrin ... I actually had encountered two co-operating bears, only 1 was caught on camera.

The other, was a too close for comfort encounter. I was on a rather larger river bank checking things out and heard a noise at the edge of the forest ... look in the direction of the noise and see the brush moving and out pops the 2nd black bear. Only time I've ever had to unholster my bear spray and take the safety off. Fortunately, the bear walked in the exact opposite direction from me ... that's what I call a "good" bear!