Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara S. View Post
I have had my Thousand Trails membership since 1986 and I enjoy it. I feel safe in a Thousand Trails campground. Thousand Trails isn't what it used to be but it is still a good deal for me. Most of my experience is with the parks in Texas but I have visited a few in other states and been pleased with what I saw. Glad to answer any questions!
X2......is a very good deal.......love Lake Tawakoni....Lake Whitney....and of course Bay Landing, and where from Fl.
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2013, 11:30 AM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was scheduled to attend a meeting this afternoon about TT membership (I'm sure they want to sell me an upgrade) but alas, it got cancelled.

TT used to offer lifetime nationwide memberships. I have one, I use it enough to make it one great value, it owes me nothing. I'm very pleased with it. But that's me.. You might not be.

But the one very bright idea that TT has is the Zone Pass. This gives you access to roughly 1/4 of the ELS parks (N.E., S.E. N.W or S.W.) for one year.. It's like membership as you get 2 weeks in then have to stay out a week, I think it's 30 nights free, then a few dollars a night (Where as I never pay the park for 30 amp sites) and the cost is about the same as my annual dues.

But if you try it and do NOT like it.. Just send a "No thanks" letter at renewal time and that's all folks.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:17 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Be very careful and read ALL the fine print. We joined, stayed the required three years, then let it drop. Many of the TTs we liked to use have encouraged members to store their RVs there. The result was many times when we got to a park (listing many open spaces), all the good spaces were taken by units in storage and not being actively used.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:06 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
If you want to "try" out the membership, get Passport America for $42/year. TT parks now accept PA discounts....Dennis
Executive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:20 AM   #19

TT offers several different memberships. The "lifetime" memberships are more expensive, and have more flexibility than the zone pass memberships. These are owned and can be resold.

Zone pass memberships are yearly and renewable, but not re-sellable (to my knowledge). We have a zone pass with 2 zones, and when we renewed it, we still get 2 zone at the $500/year price. There is no $795 cost for the second zone on a renewal. The zone pass includes 30 nights of camping, additional nights are $3 per night. If you use it a lot, it can work out to be very economical. We also use Passport America for stops in transition between TT parks.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:41 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Like it has already been said "use it" or don't buy it. We renew each year for $500.00 and when we decide we don't want it we just don't renew. Even people with other "memberships" who paid plenty for them still have to pay DUES each year under contract. deSanford PS we love ours (two zones).
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:09 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
We bought our membership from a broker in Florida (campgroundmembershipoutlet.com) and have used the heck out of it. We full-time and average about 200-225 nights a year. Some of the TT parks charge for 50 amp, some don't; some have full hookups, some only have water and electric; most are very rural and out of town so if you don't tow, there is usually not a place you can walk to for shopping, etc. We got a steal on our price, plus it was a lifetime membership good for 366 nights a year, 3 weeks at a time for all but 3 parks, 120 day reservation window. For us, it's been a great budget saver.
llmrealestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:31 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Why can't you go to the other 3 parks? deSanford which ones are they?
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:41 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
I can go to them, just not for 3 weeks in high season (summer). They are designated "high use parks" and my contract states that Whalers Rest and Seaside, both in Oregon, and Hershey in Hershey, Pennsylvania are the only high use parks I am limited in. The other high use parks such as Palm Springs, Las Vegas, etc. are not mentioned in the contract so I can stay 3 weeks during high season.
llmrealestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:01 AM   #24

Jayco Owners Club
At a park in Texas we had gone to a TT sales meeting just to get a few days camping free. My wife was really going for it. but not me. Went back to the RV and looked up membership and found one on ebay for $1.
Go with Passport and save thousands.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:26 PM   #25

Thousand Trails RV Parks are called "Preserves". The idea I think is from the fact that they are mostly not in built up areas or at least not on freeways. We have stayed at a bunch of them and if you like quiet and park-like grounds TT does have that. We have found that many! highly rated commercial parks recommended in Woodalls, RVparkreviews, and so on seem to be on major freeways and next to train tracks. Some TT parks are like that too (Palm Springs comes to mind) but most are away from it all.

The closest TT park to us is very close to San Diego and you mostly cannot even get cell phone service there. It is remote as possible in a major city. Make sure you have a tow car if you are in a motorhome.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:33 AM   #26

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The meeting I was scheduled to attend never happened. nature damaged the hotel so they had to re-schedule and the re-secedule is not where I can get to it.. On top of that I had to check into the body shop (Hospital) for a bit of work under the hood and that's still on going (I go back Monday for a day). Oh well..

Better luck later.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:06 PM   #27

We originaly joined around 1995 and spent 6 years with them until we moved. Our kids loved it too. Last year we rejoined witha zone pass and once again love it though our kids are now grown. We can camp in Oregon, Washington and on park in Canada. Woot woot.
stjohneyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:31 PM   #28

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
in hindsight we should have kept our money
but since its paid for and i still have 7 years to use it I may as well try to use up my nights
i use mostly parks in texas and they are not getting any better
most have the great site leased out to long term folks who are not tt members but purchased a zone pass of sorts

whitney is a huge park and never busy, but the great spots are still used by long term leasees

texoma is nice to...but long term folks have the level and nice sites with shade and

overall 3 dollars a night for 50 amp plus yearly maint fee is not to bad
but i had a moment of weakness a few years ago and drank the koolaid
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote