Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2013, 08:23 PM   #1

Thousand trails

Can someone give me some info on the thousand trails membership, pro and con.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2013, 08:35 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Poking a bear here but I can't wait to hear opinions!
Old 09-12-2013, 09:19 PM   #3
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
I sent you a private message reference the Thousand Trails info. Its lengthy I did not want to tie the forum up.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:47 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
Happy Thousand Trails member

I have had my Thousand Trails membership since 1986 and I enjoy it. I feel safe in a Thousand Trails campground. Thousand Trails isn't what it used to be but it is still a good deal for me. Most of my experience is with the parks in Texas but I have visited a few in other states and been pleased with what I saw. Glad to answer any questions!
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:56 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
We have a "ZONE" membership with two zones. Very happy with it. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:17 PM   #6

We also have a two zone membership, plus we store our motorhome at one of the local TT parks. The key to if TTrails is a good deal is if you use it. If there are parks in the areas you want to camp and you will use the membership it can be a very good deal. If you don't use the parks regularly it is a very bad deal.

Many Thousand Trails parks that I have been to are not in cities. Or are in uncrowded areas. If this is the type of park you want to stay at then go for it. If you are on a tight budget TT can be a very good deal.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:00 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Try the zone membership for a year. If you don't like it, you aren't out a lot of money. We have a 2 zone for the entire west coast as that is where we spend each spring/summer. Works well for us.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #8

We have a zone pass membership with 2 zones (SE and SW). We have used it extensively and like it. If you are considering a membership, I would suggest visiting the parks you think you will use (if possible) to check out their location & condition. Some parks are nicer than others. Overall, we have had the zone membership for 2 years and like it.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:05 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There is good and bad with 1000 trails. It is only good if you USE IT! We bought a national Zone pass. for us it hasn't been worth the money. Only 3 parks in Florida we can use. None of the 3 interest us. One is near Disney and we don't go there. I'd think if we were out west the parks would be of more value. Here in the SE there just isn't enough 1000 trails parks to be worth it. 3 in FL, None in GA, 1 in AL, None in MS, 2 in TN. none near anything or any place we want to go. Passport America has been the best ban g for our buck. safe travels. ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:46 AM   #10

I'll stick to my Passport America membership. In years of reading both the good and bad about TT, still can't bring myself to part with $525 per year (for ONE ZONE) for TT. And an additional $795 for one additional zone (included in the first year only). If you go to any Craigslist, you'll find people selling their TT memberships at a discount.

For all zones, it's $2500 in the first year. $3705/year from then on. If you sell your membership, there's a $500 transfer fee.

If they were all luxury campgrounds, it might be different, but they seem to be about the same as most other campgrounds.

Not for me. Just the price is a big 'Con'.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #11
Elf

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
I'll stick to my Passport America membership. In years of reading both the good and bad about TT, still can't bring myself to part with $525 per year (for ONE ZONE) for TT. And an additional $795 for one additional zone (included in the first year only). If you go to any Craigslist, you'll find people selling their TT memberships at a discount.

For all zones, it's $2500 in the first year. $3705/year from then on. If you sell your membership, there's a $500 transfer fee.

If they were all luxury campgrounds, it might be different, but they seem to be about the same as most other campgrounds.

We are not members but I have been looking into it. Trying to decide if it is worthwhile for us....to at least try for a year.

From my understanding it is now just an annual membership. There is no "transfer fee" since there is no long term commitment. Someone please let me know if I am mistaken on this.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post

haven't seen one for sale on Craigslist in the 7 years I have been camping
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:43 AM   #13

Bought our membership 7 yeas ago........paid 3500.00 as a promotion through Lazy Days...... pay our annual dues, and use the campground through out the USA and we average between 60 and 70 nites in TT campgrounds which averages out to about 10.00 per nite.
We are headed out in a couple of days to California, and I have made reservations staying 4 nites at almost every campground that leads us to California and have confirmations for each and every one of those I am allowed to make within the system.
It's the best money we have spent in buying a membership that allows you to stay at a secure campground almost each and every night. We also have RPI also, which help us bridge the campgrounds TT does not have in the system. More over if you are a member of TT, you are also entitled to use a secondary campground system called Enjoy America which lets you stay at non TT campgrounds for 50% same/similar to Passport America.
When we make reservations, they do not charge you for cancellations.....nor do you have to have a 10 year or newer RV........so I guess if you don't like the fact that you can be in a secure campsite and all the amenities of a resort, than this is not for you.
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:46 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
tampa bay all for sale / wanted classifieds "THOUSAND TRAILS" - craigslist

Click here..I see several on CL
JFGOBUCS is offline   Reply With Quote