Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2009, 05:39 AM   #1

Thousand Trails

I have seen and understand most of how thousand trail works has any one stayed at the non thousand trails resorts ie the NACO's ELS property's ect do they operate like TT or do they operate more like Passport America where the campground owners basically do what they want to put you in bad spots or refuse the discount ect. Am looking to buy a TT membership and would like to hear form some about how it really works not what the salesman says

Chuck Linn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2009, 07:44 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Chuck, NACO is Thousand trails. It is owned by ELS. I suggest you call the TT closest to you and set in on one of their presentations you would get 3 nights of free camping. You don't have to buy, but you would have a better understanding of their operations. I have been a member for 10 years we are ft's and have saved a bunch of money, our nightly rate is $2 after 50 nights. It is not like PA.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:06 AM   #3

We are TT member since 2006 and we love it. We have the national member but really did not use it. We plan too I figure we get it now and save on it instead of waiting and paying more for it later. At time we were planning to go fulltime but that’s on hold for now. Base on the amount of time I used it, it came out basically about $15.00 a night. We love going to TT in Orlando, FL (Clermont). We can bring up to six additional guess with us with out paying the extra charges. Being a member of TT you can get discounts to other camps like Encore, etc.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:51 PM   #4

What are the initial pricing options? Are there any maintenance fees required after joining?

JD
Old 06-28-2009, 09:15 PM   #5

initial price is base on you and the sales rep, but it could be up in the thousands. Hold out as much as you can. The yearly due is depend what you get. Could be about $500.00 more or less and if you get the VIP is going to be more because I think you get 21 days at the camp ground and you don't have to be out of the system to go to another camp ground. Some full timer have this one.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:38 AM   #6

Howdy!

I have watched the resizing prices of campground/Rv park nightly cost as we fulltime. We just recently purchased a used TT platinum membership for only $3200.00. I would check the internet and ebay for deals on used TT memberships before I would buy new from TT's.

"Happy Trails"
chiefneon
Old 06-29-2009, 01:57 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
With Thousand Trails you can join one of the "Interchange" clubs, Coast 2 Coast, RPI or ROD. (Or some combination of them)

If I stay at a TT park, I can stay up to 2 weeks (3 if I upgrade) and only pay for 50 amp electric, (30 is "Free")

If I stay at a C2C or RPI park i'ts so much a night but that amount is a small fraction of what a like site rents for.

One actuall park I stayed at for one night

sixty dollars a night.. pulling in the gate,,, With an RPI card it was eight (That was then, ti's 13 now)

There is a difference in the sites (Sixty got me a pull through, RPI sites are either nose to tail or back in, but hey I don't park there to see the park, I park there to see what's around the park)
Old 07-08-2009, 08:08 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Buy a used Alliance if you can. We are presently at an Encore Resort Spring Gulch in Lancaster, PA and are paying a TTrails resort fee of $3 a night. We only get a pull thru and 30 amp for our $3 a night. lol Thousand Trails members get special rates at a lot of parks that ELS owns. We bought a used Alliance 13 years ago for around 15 to 1800. We camp 50 nights for our 500 a year dues then pay $5 a night after that and we can go park to park. We have gotten our monies worth.We have Thousand Trails/Naco, we didn't upgrade to Leisure Time when it was offered for $299, a dumb decision on my part but we have only been west 3 times and there are scads of TT parks out there. We dropped our Resorts Parks International that we had thru TT, $65 a year as we are not using it for a few years but we also belong to Passport America that we use on the road. Try the Escapees.com site as there are usually TT's for sale. Call TT with the sellers number and they will tell you the specs on the contract. Contrary to the OP, 50 amp is free if it is in an older section of the park but $3 if you are in a section built or upgraded recently. We winter in Orlando and stay on the free 50's if we can get one. We have stayed at almost every park in the system, some good, some bad but worth the money. Good Luck
Old 07-08-2009, 10:03 PM   #9

I have done considerable research and talked to owners of TT and have decided it is not for me. I know there are many that have it and are pleased. It just does not fit into our lifestyle and plans.

JD
Old 07-10-2009, 08:02 AM   #10

Well took the advice and tried the free week end. WE DID NOT STAY. The directions were very poor and we had to go up and turnaround as there was minimal signage to the road and the road sign was too close to the road and we couldn't turn in time so had to go past and turn around. Upon arriving went into the center and no one was at the desk and had to wait of 15 min before some one finally came out. I had requested a 50 amp pull thru and the woman who I was talking to didn't know if they had any (made the reservation over a month ago). This was one of the freebies where they are trying to sell you a 10,000 dollar package. When the person who knew what was going on finally came back he stated that they could not have made a reservation for a 50 amp pull thru as they don't have any thing but a 30 amp pull thru in the park. I told them I couldn't believe that they are trying to sell these thing and all they have is back ins. As we were leaving he stated that the park was over 25 yrs old and no one anticipated the need for 50 amp coaches.
Thousand Trails just lost a customer if i can't use all the parks then I am not going to lay out that kind of money for any of them.
Chuck Linn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:08 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thousand Trails camps do vary (As do all membership campground chains) from site to site.... The one I'll visit next week is very easy to find, (Take I-94 to the Waddams Road exit, go NORTH on Waddams road about 10 yards from the w/b exit ramp. turn right)(Ok might be 50 yards, seriously you can see the guard shack as you exit w/b I-94 (e/b exit is on the other side of the freeway..... of course)

You do have to radio for a ranger, but he is usually there in jsut a mintue or two (or she) 50 amp sites however are few, and cost more
Old 08-20-2009, 02:13 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We are Thousand Trails members and up till now we have made great use of our membership. We think that TT sites are superior to most other sites and we will make an effort to go to TT sites whenever possible.

Within the past few month we have been told that people from outside the US are no longer welcome to join TT. Did anyone else hear this?

We have been writing twice to TT in order to get confirmation of this, and we have had no reply whatsoever. This would make us believe that the rumour is true.

Can anyone cast some light on this? Is it really true and if so, why on earth would they do anything like this? Why don't they answer your questions - are they embarrassed? They should be!!

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:52 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Dane why don't you email member services, check the web site. I expect they don't have access to foreign postage.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:33 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beabop View Post
Dane why don't you email member services, check the web site. I expect they don't have access to foreign postage.
You don't use foreign postage to send mail out of the country. It just takes more American postage.