Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:02 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Question Thousand Trails Membership Restriction

We were debating about TT membership when we see that for the zone passes they can not issue them to residents of SD, MN and MS.

Does anyone know why that is?

Is TT really that good of a deal anyway?

Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Gardian Wings earned are GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.
Sky_Boss is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2015, 04:09 PM   #2
Monaco Owners Club
Hmmm, Guess I should have read more before posting, but I will leave my post as is because it could help some.

Buy a membership that is being "resold". Ebay, Craigslist, etc... Go for Platinum, 3 weeks in park, move to another park same day, and/or wait a week to return to same park.

I bought one and use it every time I am in between contracts.

scep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:22 PM   #3
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some states have laws that are strange by other state's standards.. I have to assume those states have something against "Time Shares" or Membership Camping or...Tax the blass out of it..

The zone pass is a great deal becuase it is a one payment comittment...If you find you do not like it you send in a NO THANK YOU letter at renewal time instad of a payment.

I still have a campground dinging me for payments I do not owe cause they no longer have any campgrounds.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:29 PM   #4
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hi Don,
Stop by and see us sometime.

Check Passport America. I have stayed at TT's using the PPA rates. Saves the TT membership fee and is PPA rates. Yes, there are the usualy PPA restrictions, but what the hey, cheap.
Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:37 PM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
We also stayed at a TT in Colorado River Texas. I called for availability and was told we could book Sun Mon and Tues but they had nothing for that Sat....we drove to TT Colorado River and using PA paid 1/2 price for each day ($18 a day) and they did have a many sites available for Saturday...very secured campground, clean and quiet! Pool and Hot Tub and laundry!Near Columbus Texas. Not members of TT.
Thor ACE 2013 29.2
lenkerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 11:27 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club

IMO if you are full timing then it might make sense. We had it for a couple of years but only because we had a annual site which required us to also maintain a membership. We purchased initially when we had a travel trailer and then moved to a 5th wheel however. Once we moved to our motor home it no longer made sense.

We were paying about $400.00 per year for two zones but , the sites in our zones we would visit the most (Northeast) were not that great so we elected to drop the membership. I can stay in a ton of campgrounds for 400 bucks that are much nicer than what I was limited to with the 1000 trails system. Having the membership to us was "value camping" and I know some will not like me saying, some value but for us it was just not worth all the hype.

Keep in mind some folks say it really works well for them. From what I hear the campgrounds out west in Oregon, Washington, California etc are really nice campgrounds.

Now we are using the Good Sam and KOA campgrounds and that is working out much better for us. The Good Sam discount has worked out well and we have stayed at 4 different KOA's without one bad experience.

Hope this helps
Ken & Diane
2014 Newmar Ventana 4369 All Electric 400HP
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
KenNJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:41 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We are TT zone members. West coast areas. Also have an annual site at the TT Morgan Hill, CA. If the parks are where you need them, meet your requirements, and are used - then it's very worthwhile.

We are also Passport America members and use it whenever possible.
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 03:08 AM   #8
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
We were debating about TT membership when we see that for the zone passes they can not issue them to residents of SD, MN and MS.

Does anyone know why that is?
It could be because those are among the states with no participating CGs. Make sure you look at the online map as there are states with only 1 or 2 or none at all.

Is TT really that good of a deal anyway?
It seems like a good deal for full-times. You pay a fee every year plus monthly fees. Not worth it for the average camper in my opinion.
Retired. RVing with one husband and five cats.
1999 32' Fleetwood Southwind Class-A. Ford V10.
RanCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:49 PM   #9
Do Not Consider Thousand Trails

We have been members for 11 years. The system has gone from decent to awful. Just spent a week at Natchez Trace. Virtually all usable sites have now been sold to long term residents. Same at most west coast parks where we normally travel. Why buy membership when the parks are now open to the public. Giving our membership back.

barrys is online now   Reply With Quote