Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2013, 08:06 PM   #15

thousand trails

we have been members since 1996 traveling full time mostly in tt and naco resorts through out this great country.We think our alliance membership is one of the best memberships out there.For the last four years we move between orlando and Deercreek preserve.we are very happy with tt they are doing a good job with the amount of workers they have.
1skatingrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2013, 12:36 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post

I also told them i would prefer a court hearing...I have intent from the sales persons that the preserves would be maintained and only MEMBERS had access, nothing about passport America or long term personal sites.
Plus pictures tell a very grim story
I would very much like to see this go to court. We had all sort of promisses made when we partet with our cash, and I am pretty sure that every single promise was broken. Isn't this a strong candidate for a class action suit?

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:01 PM   #17

Sad to hear all the TT troubles etc but Passport America isn't a scheme, it's a program offered to those who choose to participate in it.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:28 PM   #18
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Henrik,
The problem with class action is that only the lawyers make any money. The investers may get 10 cents on the dollar from a class action.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:53 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Henrik,
The problem with class action is that only the lawyers make any money. The investers may get 10 cents on the dollar from a class action.
I am sure that you are right Wayne, but 10 cents on the Dollar could be better than being forced to pay a yearly maintenance fee for years to come, for something that is not what was promissed/sold initially.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #20
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
About 3 or 4 years ago i had seriously looked into purchasing a TT membership. I'm glad that I opted for PA instead. Now I can use both types of facilities.

Sorry, couldn't resist. However, I do know your feelings. I would feel exactly the same.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:46 AM   #21

We stayed at a T-T in La Conner Was. last weekend and enjoyed it. The cg is next to the ocean and has great views of the water from some of the sites. We got the last available waterfront one on a Thursday. Being able to watch the sun dip down into a red sky at night was a real treat. No real complaints other than it was perhaps a little too treed and all the winding roads made it hard to orient yourself.

About 250 sites and very few had sewer. I was surprised to find that about 1/4 to 1/3 of the site is taken up by permanent "personal" sites. They've got many of the prime spots too. I'm guessing that perhaps one reason for not having lots of sewer connections may be the proximity to the ocean and regional septic disposal regulations? There was a fish farm just off the shore.

For non-members, they have what they call a "retail" section. Non-members are not supposed to camp anywhere else but we snagged a site right behind us for some friends who arrived a few hours later.

There are a lot of very tight winding roads to get into the sites and I was surprised how many people pulling trailers were going the wrong way. Not only that, some were backing up without a spotter which is so dangerous with all the kids running around and on bikes. Hint to these people - they do give out maps of the cg showing all the roads and the directions of them.

This is only the 3rd T-T we have seen and so far they all seem more on the rustic side which I like. A little tired looking and unkept on some things, but aren't a lot like that?

From our own experience and from what I've read, getting a membership in a campground organization isn't much better than getting a vehicle from a used car dealer. They have no glossy brochure with all the pertinent facts, figures, options, dues and fees for you to peruse. You have to pry just about everything out of them. Unless you have done a lot of prior due diligence research on the internet, you can be had. After speaking to a LOT of other members at our cg organization, there lots and lots or variations on the membership. Almost every time, we hear a new twist on it. It's all about what you can negotiate up front. You can make offers to them and dicker back and forth. Nothing is cast in stone. You can find some pretty good deals on pre-owned memberships but like a new one, you have to know ALL of the fine print and limitations. There really ought to be some state or federal laws on what these organizations can or can't do. DW is a management accountant and researched the heck out of it before we walked into the sales room. Then she played hard ball with them. It's surprising what you can get if you know what to look for. I'm sure a lot of people are getting hosed out there.

We have a membership in KM Resorts in Washington and have an affiliate membership in T-T and others. We payed under $30/night for La Conner. We have membership in 3 or 4 affiliate cg organizations for a few hundred a year. When we start going farther and longer in a few years, we'll be using a lot more affiliate cgs and would not hesitate to use a T-T from what we've seen so far.

I think that there are campground networks out there with a lot of bad cgs. We stayed in a Good Neighbors one in Oregon last year and it was just awful. At least it only cost us 35 cents for the one night we stayed.

Side story: The T-T in La Conner sure did have a lot of trees. In fact, possibly too many. I got the TT wedged between one tree at the back right and one at the front left with an inch to each tree. We were stuck, stuck, stuck. I backed into the site myself while the sun was going down just fine (although I did have to unhook and hook up once to straighten the truck out). On the way out, DW was the spotter... (Say no more??) I seemed to have tweeked the steering wheel one way when it should have been the other and that was it so the captain will take the blame here. By the time we got out with the aid of the cg's tractor, half of the campground must have been there watching, lol. You sure get to meet a lot of nice fellow RVers sometimes. The next time I go to a TT, please remind me to take a come-along and chainsaw just in case.

myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:58 PM   #22

TT was a $5,000 painful lesson in stupid believing of sales pitches. The personal pain was worse because DW and I both used to sell timeshares and should have not been so gullible.
J.M.
James Macfet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:23 PM   #23

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When we looked into it was before 1987/88 when we still had a TT. Went through their sales pitch and high pressure sales push. Said NO. We were supposed to get gas cards and sleeping bags. The cards were supposed to be sent out to us. Still haven't gotten them! The sleeping bags we did get but they tried to keep them. Salesman took us back to the site but INSISTED on putting them in the trunk even though there was lots of room inside (Caddy DeVille). Had to remind him several times that they were in the trunk before he finally opened it. My guess if we'd have let him drive away we'd never even have gotten them!
Anyway, after reading these post I'm VERY glad we didn't join (and neither did my parents).
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:31 AM   #24

I just have to laugh. What do you folks expect? Top notch quality for $5-$10 a night??? Do you realize that most 50 amp rigs will use $5 just in electric overnight? Add in taxes, insurance, sewer, water Etc. and the CG owners are deep in the hole! The cost of doing business is 2-3 times or more what the fees recovered are. CTC and TT are nothing other than companies that are profiting off of campgrounds that are already struggling in this economy. In the coming yoears you'll see less and less campgrounds getting involved..........
Old 08-18-2013, 12:47 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstef View Post
I just have to laugh. What do you folks expect? Top notch quality for $5-$10 a night??? Do you realize that most 50 amp rigs will use $5 just in electric overnight? Add in taxes, insurance, sewer, water Etc. and the CG owners are deep in the hole! The cost of doing business is 2-3 times or more what the fees recovered are. CTC and TT are nothing other than companies that are profiting off of campgrounds that are already struggling in this economy. In the coming yoears you'll see less and less campgrounds getting involved..........
mjstef - let me have a wild guess: You are not a Thousand Trails member and you didn't spend $5,000 on a membership that promised you access to a membership only scheme? You also don't pay a $600 plus annual membership fee for the privileged? A privilege that you will be forced to pay for years regardless of whether you receive the service that you were promised or not.

If you did, you would probably disagree with paying for privileges that is disappearing right in front of your eyes, and at the same time you would realize that your calculation of $5-$10 per night is way off the mark.

I don't know many people who likes to pay for something only to realize that you got short changed, but there is always a first. I bet you wouldn't be laughing if someone took your money and didn't deliver the goods - again, I am only guessing.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:40 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by danes-on-tour View Post
mjstef - let me have a wild guess: You are not a Thousand Trails member and you didn't spend $5,000 on a membership that promised you access to a membership only scheme? You also don't pay a $600 plus annual membership fee for the privileged? A privilege that you will be forced to pay for years regardless of whether you receive the service that you were promised or not.

If you did, you would probably disagree with paying for privileges that is disappearing right in front of your eyes, and at the same time you would realize that your calculation of $5-$10 per night is way off the mark.

I don't know many people who likes to pay for something only to realize that you got short changed, but there is always a first. I bet you wouldn't be laughing if someone took your money and didn't deliver the goods - again, I am only guessing.

I like to say my family brought me up with the ability to smell a rat. God i got sick of the timeshare salespeople when i lived in Florida. There's another racket! The only one benefiting is the company selling the timeshare. I do know a few people that got mixed up in CTC and TT over the years. I DO NOT know of any of them who though it was a good idea after the fact. Chock it up to a bad financial decision and move on.................
Old 08-18-2013, 05:28 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdogKing View Post
Sad to hear all the TT troubles etc but Passport America isn't a scheme, it's a program offered to those who choose to participate in it.
"Scheme" doesn't have the negative connotation in the rest of the world that it has in the US. The poster is from Europe, and the definition of 'scheme' there is closer to what Americans might call a 'program'.

It's not a disparaging term.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:44 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobeth66 View Post
"Scheme" doesn't have the negative connotation in the rest of the world that it has in the US. The poster is from Europe, and the definition of 'scheme' there is closer to what Americans might call a 'program'.

It's not a disparaging term.
Jobeth66 is absulely right, and I understand now that I should have used a different word. It was never my intension that the word "scheme" should be seen as something negative. I apologize.

Thank you for clearing this up