Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2013, 12:13 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Thousand trails membership thread revived

Original thread is found here.

I apologize, but I have to revive this thread.

I have just discovered that the "new" owners of Thousand Trails have added to the insult, and now have made TT membership completely worthless. When this happened I haven't got a clue.

For those not familiar with TT membership, this was sold as a "member only club" and they charged many thousands of Dollars in initial joining fee. This, they said, would ensure you high standards and exclusivity on all their sites for life.

Latest "nail in the coffin" is that it would appear that they have added their sites to the Passport America scheme, and as usual this happens "in the dark" without any information at all to all the original "investors" - they just sneak this in under the radar. Here is an example.

I have nothing against Passport America. In fact I think it is the absolute best scheme available out there. I also don't blame people for taking advantage of the PA scheme - you should, because this is good value for money. What I really detest is that "they" sold us something - then they sell it once more, and finally they rent it out to yet someone else. This is very clever, but how they get away with it is beyond me.

With f.x. the PA price per night at TT Orlando, we would have to stay for more than 60 days per year at a TT site to make up for the annual TT subscription. We don't do that, and unless you are full-timing I very much doubt that anyone would break even.

Our TT membership is a joke and I really feel that someone out there is having a laugh at our expense - I really hate that when that happens (I am sure you realize that by now).

Rant over - thanks for reading.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2013, 06:01 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't know,,, I'm parked here at a TT park for an average nightly cost of under $3.00 a night, 30 amp here Full hookup.

(In the winter my average cost goes up but... It's a bit complex. You see I have TWO memberships. One is good at a bunch of parks here in Michigan, plus 2 out of state but still in the great frozen north.. The other (TT) all over the country. I pay about 80 bucks a month dues, year round, plus in the winter (Halloween till about easter or a bit later) I pay 12/night for my "Week out" or about 120 a month

Can you beat that with Passport?

Old 08-01-2013, 06:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I don't know,,, I'm parked here at a TT park for an average nightly cost of under $3.00 a night, 30 amp here Full hookup.

(In the winter my average cost goes up but... It's a bit complex. You see I have TWO memberships. One is good at a bunch of parks here in Michigan, plus 2 out of state but still in the great frozen north.. The other (TT) all over the country. I pay about 80 bucks a month dues, year round, plus in the winter (Halloween till about easter or a bit later) I pay 12/night for my "Week out" or about 120 a month

Cool. But please help me out. $80/mo is $960/yr. $3 a night. Bottom line per night is.....?

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:01 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
it gets worse

My wife and I have noticed over the last two years that the preserves are seriously falling behind in what we expect and were promised when we joined Thousand Trails. The kitchen/restaurants are not open except for special events. The roads in the preserves are horrible and filled with potholes. The laundry areas have machines that are flat worn out and end up costing more money to dry clothes, not to mention the added cost of electricity.

Recently for the Fourth of July week, I made reservations at Bay Landing at Lake Bridgeport Texas. Upon arrival on 3 July, I proceeded to check in and inquired about any 50 amp sites open. The Ranger gave me a map and scribbled on it where some new sites were, but had no idea how many were open or even worked. She also was very adamant that I could not use any that were marked as “personal” sites.

We drove through the park in search of a 50 amp site and maybe a shade tree. We finally found one site that was 50 amp, but it only had water service and no sewer connections. We also noticed all but a few sites with 50 amp service were taken by persons with pop up campers or tents. Not just one tent, but 5 and 6 tents. I understand if they are members then they can use what ever site they choose, but some sort of system needs to be in place to place tents and those with minimal electrical needs be placed on sites with 30 amps service. As I looked around I noticed none of the sites anywhere near mine had sewer connections. To say the least I was puzzled, but it was late in the day and I wanted to get settled in. After we setup, we went for a drive through the park to search for sewer connections or any sites near a shade tree.

We did finally find some with full hookups, but out of 16 sites with 50 amp and water and sewer, 8 were marked as “personal” and long term lease. The remainder where full with what appeared to be long term visitors. I was amazed out of nearly 300 sites less than 50 had full hookups and was still charged extra for a 50 amp site with no sewer connections. I did find out there was a pump out service available for 10 dollars per service. I asked why we were charged for something that should be included when a park is listed as full hookups. A very rude facial expression was all I received as an answer.

When we mentioned the lack of space for members to the staff, we were met with hostile attitudes and told we could leave anytime. The rangers had no control over any of the guests and we had to at various times through the midnight hours go outside and ask other guest to stop walking through our site, and having loud conversations near our Rv. To make matters worse the huge bon fires at other sites, created a real risk to all those that were within 200 feet, spark and embers adorned the sky. In fact I have three holes in my slide out awnings from the hot embers.

conversations you say may not be a big deal...but the site was 60 x100 so there was no need for anyone to be at my rear quarter panel
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:50 PM   #5

Last one in OH we were at was opened to the public and that meant that full hookups were not available as most were all filled with non members, so said a local that knew who was who.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:00 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Read your membership contract. I was just made aware of a class action suit aginst Coast to Coast as they sold their memberhips as exclusive ie not allowing the public in. Looks like C2C has capitulated. Hopefully someone will start a class action suit against TT if they have not already.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:24 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke View Post
Last one in OH we were at was opened to the public and that meant that full hookups were not available as most were all filled with non members, so said a local that knew who was who.
that is exactly what is happening to the preserves in texas
Lake whitney, texoma, bay landing and tawokoni

colorado river preserve i think is to far OUT there for the public to have taken over,

they have big signs..PUBLIC welcome, seasonal sites,
its a shame to say the least,

I think the head office told the parks they had to sink or swim, so they are doing what ever it takes to stay open.
whitney is manned by about 30 folks that live on site and most are to old and fragile to pick up and move on...not to mention most of thier rv's haven't rolled for years on end
its sad.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

Just curious as to what you paid for your membership to begin with?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:42 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Just curious as to what you paid for your membership to begin with?
mine was 3k plus the yearly maintenance fee that has steadily risen from 275 to now over 400 per year

i had a long long phone call with tt this morning

she was not impressed by what i had to say, as it was and couldn't believe the preserves were doing what i described...but was sending it up the chain so to speak

the KOA at natchez trace was a shocker??????
do I beleive them? nope
Old 08-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #10

We were TT members when we were full-timing and over the 2 years we averaged about $25 a night taking into account the cost of purchase, fees and loss when we sold.

I was very disappointed in what they offered in those days - low quality, lack of 50amp, poor management, lack of full hookups etc. There were some decent preserves and some dreadful ones.

Given the changes recently I think they are on a downward spiral, not helped by the economy of course, but I for one will not be joining them again.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:21 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Funny this now is a person at the head office sent me an email
telling me i was locked in and there was no way to get out of the contract. followed by the ever scary threat to you credit score

I reminded them that yes they could turn it over to the credit people, and i can stop paying and they could go a year or so and get zero dollars, then turn it over to a collection place and let them try to squeeze me. but in the end i would not give in.

I also told them i would prefer a court hearing...I have intent from the sales persons that the preserves would be maintained and only MEMBERS had access, nothing about passport America or long term personal sites.
Plus pictures tell a very grim story

IMO ELS is missing the boat, they are focused on cruises and condos and are avoiding the largest growing segment of vacations and leisure

I am sure in the long run, i will stay on board with them. but not without irritating the preserves at each visit.

i told them that if we parted company now, that I was actually losing money, but they are pushing back
Old 08-03-2013, 11:07 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
can everyone with a concern about tt start posting up pics of the preserves and the issues.
I think if we have tons of pics and evidence we may get some attention or at least a reply of sorts
Old 08-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #13

Thousand Trails membership revisited

I too am pretty discusseted with Thousand Trails. After a 4th of July vacation at Yosemite preserve my DW and I were both wishing we had never bought into Thousand Trails. The rec room and restrooms and showers were discus sting. Neither has been updated in decades and were in serious need of cleaning. There were many campsites occupied by non members with as many as 6 tents in 1 site. Our next site neighbor's leashed dog was attacked by an unleashed Pitbull and was severely injured. To say that Thousand Trails has gone to the dogs would be very accurate.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:36 PM   #14
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Henrik,

On June 27, 2011 we stayed at the St. Clair Thousand Trails Resort using our Passport America membership, so it was before that when it all started.

Since I don't have a TT membership, I sort of enjoyed it.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote