Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2016, 06:35 PM   #1

Thousand Trails or other Subscription Question

Hello all - I am sure this has been asked a million times, but I can't find it on here to save my life. I won't go into the hundreds (or thousands) of threads I find when I search for "Thousand Trails". Anyway, to the point:

When we bought our RV we got a free year with Thousand Trails. We like it fine.. and they want to give us another year for a great price. I really don't have any idea if this is a good idea, or even what the other options are out there. So, I am looking for ideas and opinions.

We are not full timers - we are in the RV maybe 3 or 4 months out of the year. The rest of the time we are on our boat. We mainly run up and down the west coast (Washington to California).

Any help would be most appreciated! Thank you!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2016, 07:01 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We are TT members. If the CG are such that you will use them, located where you will use them, and you do use them - then its a good deal. Don't know which program you have it they are offering. We are zone members - southwest and northwest zones. If you are looking at one of the nationwide more flexibility, realize they can be purchased from existing member for substantially less.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 07:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVRapture40 View Post

We like it fine.. and they want to give us another year for a great price.
What is that price? Is it for the whole country?
Old 09-21-2016, 07:25 PM   #4

We just joined - 2 zones for $425 4 year contract. Prior to joining, we toured 3 parks. Thousand Trails is not perfect, but so far I like what I see. We often paid $30-$50 per night to camp. This is going to save us some serious money and the parks are nicer than what we were paying twice the price for. Example, Lake and Shore in Seaville NJ is very nice.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJFogelberg View Post
We just joined - 2 zones for $425 4 year contract. Prior to joining, we toured 3 parks. Thousand Trails is not perfect, but so far I like what I see. We often paid $30-$50 per night to camp. This is going to save us some serious money and the parks are nicer than what we were paying twice the price for. Example, Lake and Shore in Seaville NJ is very nice.

Is that 4 year contract normal for the 2 for 1?

I was assuming it was a yearly contract.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
Is that 4 year contract normal for the 2 for 1?

I was assuming it was a yearly contract.
The details of their offers change from time to time. I got 2 zones for the price of 1 on an annual contract, but I also paid cash for it. IIRC my son got a 2 zone deal, but got the lower price and is making monthly payments with a 4-year contract.

Either way, we're both very happy. Thanks to some other special offers, we've both added a 3rd zone, and now have northeast, southeast and midwest.

Roger
Old 09-22-2016, 07:34 AM   #7

Quote:
The ONLY major issue I have with Thousand Trails is Lake & Shore, which is something like 90% annual sites. Which means only a handful of their sites are available for 'regular' campers.

Having said that, Sea Pines is only a couple of miles away and is great. We've been there and really like it. As TT members we can always scoot up the road and use the water park at Lake & Shore, so we get the best of both worlds.

Assuming you use the 30 'free' nights that come with your TT zone membership, you're camping for less than $20/night. Not only that, but additional nights are only $3/night. Can't beat that with a stick. Last 2 years we've been to 5 different Thousand Trails campgrounds, and have been very happy.

Roger
Old 09-22-2016, 11:19 PM   #8

We got the 4 year deal during the Hershey show at the Hershey TT property. We're very happy with it. When on the East coast in 2013, we were paying $40-$50 night. I agree that both Lake and Shore and Sea Pines are very nice parks. You can't beat these locations.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:02 PM   #9

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I think we are going to go for it. It seems like a fantastic deal for our situation. Happy travels!
Old 09-23-2016, 01:22 PM   #10

Quote:
We got the 4 year deal during the Hershey show at the Hershey TT property. We're very happy with it. When on the East coast in 2013, we were paying $40-$50 night. I agree that both Lake and Shore and Sea Pines are very nice parks. You can't beat these locations.
DW and I will be at TT Hershey this coming week. Can't wait for the peace and quiet! We had been thinking about TT Chesapeake Bay, but our calendar only let us travel on weekdays - no way I'm doing Baltimore and Washington on a weekday. I'd rather beat myself with a baseball bat. We'll save Chesapeake for spring.

Roger
Old 09-23-2016, 01:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I think we are going to go for it. It seems like a fantastic deal for our situation. Happy travels!
Would you care to share the price they are offering you to renew ? I was in the same situation, with a free year membership, back in 2013. We used it once a month or so before it expired. We spent 3 or 4 nights at a TT in Clermont, Fl. It was a fairly nice, huge park. They offered a renewal for 1 year at $199 which I went for. I used it a couple times again at Clermont and once at Peace River. When it came time to renew it was back up to the $400 dollar something range and wasn't worth it in my situation. I believe they were offering me a 2nd zone also for that price.
Old 09-23-2016, 04:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
Would you care to share the price they are offering you to renew ? I was in the same situation, with a free year membership, back in 2013. We used it once a month or so before it expired. We spent 3 or 4 nights at a TT in Clermont, Fl. It was a fairly nice, huge park. They offered a renewal for 1 year at $199 which I went for. I used it a couple times again at Clermont and once at Peace River. When it came time to renew it was back up to the $400 dollar something range and wasn't worth it in my situation. I believe they were offering me a 2nd zone also for that price.
Sure - it's 395 for 2 zones. We will easily use our 30 free days in a year and then the $3/day is just about as close to free as you can get. I pushed around some numbers with the 10% (or so) off ideas and ran a sample. Assuming it is $40/night regular on 180 days per year it will be over $6,000. With TT it was under $900. Really, a no brainer for me.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Sure - it's 395 for 2 zones. We will easily use our 30 free days in a year and then the $3/day is just about as close to free as you can get. I pushed around some numbers with the 10% (or so) off ideas and ran a sample. Assuming it is $40/night regular on 180 days per year it will be over $6,000. With TT it was under $900. Really, a no brainer for me.
That looks like it will work out well for you.
In my case my wife hadn't retired yet and I couldn't see spending the 400 hundred whatever dollars to renew for the parks within a day drive from home. There are only 3 TT parks in Florida and the 2 that I had stayed at are a real pain to get to from where I live. Both involved long drives on very congested roads. It was no fun traveling to or from those parks.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:04 PM   #14

Yeah, I think it should work out great. I only started the thread to find out if I was missing something. But it sounds like I am fairly well informed of the options.

Tags
scr