Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2013, 04:43 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thousand Trails Southwestern Zone Location Questions

Any experiences or comments to share about these or other Southwestern park locations?
  • Morgan Hill
  • Las Vegas
  • All SoCal near San Diego area
Thanks!

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2013, 07:43 PM   #2

Yeah. So Cal. When we retired, we bought the SW zone membership for a year because our daughter lives in a Menifee. We found the Wilderness Lakes Park to be okay during the Christmas/New Year holidays last year. I did have to head to the local Lowe's to buy a PVC adaptor for the sewage dump. Just before we arrived, there was a very heavy rain and a lot of the sites were very flooded. Suddenly everyone was given a flood evacuation plan upon arrival. 30 amp hook-ups only. Because they are very low to the ground, I had to construct a shelter to keep my portable RV surge protector out of the pooling water during the next storm. All of this was okay, until, after our in and out period we returned to find that their busy time is January & February, and without a reservation, we would have to move sites each night. So now we stay at Pechanga in Temecula. Much nicer and Passport America during the week. We checked every TT park in the San Diego and Sacramento area. Not a one was suitable. When we were in the Morgan Hill area, we stayed where we always stay. Betabel, just south of Gilroy. So nice, we decided to not even check the TT near Morgan Hill. My impression of every TT we visited was that they are older parks that were probably very nice before the advent of big coaches with multiple slides. They have a lot of delayed maintenance issues. In all the areas we checked within the SW zones there were much, much nicer private RV parks in the general area at only a few dollars more per night.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:56 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks! Anyone else have input?
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:18 PM   #4

We stayed at Wilderness Lakes last year also.....(April/May time frame, I think)..... love the Canal's and duck's in the Park. The flies from the adjacent dairy Farm can be difficult but we didn't have any real problems. The Pools and Spa area's were very nice...all in all, we liked it. Sure Pechanga takes Passport but that doesn't make it a couple dollars more not when your cost at TT is Zero-3.00!

That's about the only one I've been to down that way but we're planning to make it down that way later next year.....Heard good things about Pio-Pico. Have Fun!!!
Old 11-02-2013, 02:30 AM   #5

Pío Pico: it's a nice drive away from the city lights; if the overflow parking had full hook ups, it might be better than the main CG! CG is old and outdated, pool needs major face lift.

Wilderness Lakes: it's ok; if you're into fishing, the canals are a plus. The train and hay rides are great for the kids, but the short term sites are in need of some TLC. It's turned into a public CG, membership seems to not be too important.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:12 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Have stayed at the Las Vegas TT a couple of times, when I needed a Vegas fix. The park is older and the spaces are tight. Some larger fifth wheels may have a little work to get in. All sites are back in and 50 amp sites are limited and cost $3.00 extra per day.

This is urban camping right on Boulder Highway. The Strip is several miles away, however: SAMs Town, Arizona Charlie's, and Boulder Station are all a mile or less away. Since your a Fleetwood owner, Finley's RV a Fleetwood dealer is less than a half mile away, if you need parts or repair.
LEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Any experiences or comments to share about these or other Southwestern park locations?
  • Morgan Hill
  • Las Vegas
  • All SoCal near San Diego area
Thanks!
When I bought my TT membership (A nation wide Lifetime one) I was all set to say NO to the sales pitch when the woman said "What would it take to get you to sign" and my wife answered "A park in Las Vegas" (Our daughter lived there at the time) and the sales lady said "We have one" and I said.. Nothing, but I thought something OH ***!, and reached for the checkbook cause I knew I was about to spend money.

Now. the park.. When I was there last (2007) they had a nice little store. a Swimming pool, A family center, The smallest sites of any RV park I've ever parked in,, And as is a Thousand Trails Tradition some of the nicest staffers I've ever met (The others on that list also work for TT these days as well.. One other park used to have nice staff too but alas, they are no more,, They still dunn me but they don't have any parks, I won't name them since they are NOT the subject of this thread).

How small? Well I put my slide out

So did my neighbor

You had to Zig Zag between our rigs as both our slides crossed over on to the other's site.

Another thing.. Security guided us to a site.

A site it was easy for me to back my 38'er into (not all sites would have been so easy) THIS, normally, is something to complain about but in this park I considered it a plus.. They told me since they have done this (Security assists you in parking) accidents are way way down.

My daughter complained that the park has not much to offer.. But hey, it is VEGAS man, I'm not there for the RV park,, I'm there for

1: My daughter
2: The "Strip"
3: The shows
4: Freemont St.

And you can get to all of those (Save Darling daughter) By Public Transit, and the bus stop is about 10 feet from the park's driveway.

Another major plus, Epically since I went to dinner at Las Vegas' highest restaurant (From which you can see the park buy the way) New Year's Eve.

I did not wish to drive home that night.

As for why.. I witnessed an arrest of an OUI.. I talked to the motor officer she dang near ran over.

That's why.,

Tags
cat