Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2010, 10:17 PM   #1

Thumbs DOWN on one of the BIG THREE CGs @ MB

We started to reserve a site this year at Lakewood (Myrtle Beach) after they sent us a flyer reminding us that the season was starting. We have camped there for five years-mainly because they are supposed to be a "Christain" campground. However, after being on the phone with them for 15 minutes (and having given personal and credit card info) I was advised that we had been declared as "undesirable" by the management due to an incident at the camp store last year. Let me explain: my wife (who is the Sunday school Secretary at the church we attend, and where I am a Deacon) found a wallet which had been left on a table. She is not a person who trusts those she does not know - not even "security officers". She removed the contents and turned the wallet over to a "rent a cop" - telling him at the time to please have the owner come see her in the camp store parking lot for the contents. Next thing she knows, another one (an EX COP) has her by the arm taking her into a back room of the store. He then starts to question her by saying: "Just agree with me and you will be out of here in a few minutes." Then "Marshall Dillon" really stuck his foot in it by saying: "I know you stole that wallet, because I SAW you spend money directly from it." (She was so nervous, that when she took the money out to hand to "Marshall Dillon", she actually gave him $10.00 more than was originally in it.) She was able to call me to come to the store, where I heard this 'goon' badgering her and forbidding me to be with her. After which her cell phone was taken from her and not returned until we left the store to pack up camp. Se was so terrified I was afraid she might have a heart attack (she does have heart problems). Finally they called the owner of the wallet (an employee) who said everything was there and refused to press charges. In fact she apologized for the whole incident. Then another female employee (who was trying to get on the MB police force) tried to pressure the wallet owner into pressing charges. When that did not work, the wanna be cop started saying the wallet was HERS. We were finally ORDERED off the premises with only 2 hours to break camp - and NO REFUNDS. We lost over $700.00 (camp site and golf cart rent). MORAL - If you go there - touch nothing you can not PROVE is yours. I was advised by an attorney, that we definitely have grounds for a suit, but the time lost from work, travel, etc, was not worth it to us. We were able to book at another resort for this year - at a better price, too.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2010, 11:20 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Sometimes you try to do the "right thing" and you get burned...In this day in time there is always someone who wants to make a name for themselves. It was if you were guilty in his mind without even thinking it thru. I would have done the same thing.

About 10 years back, while helping my brother tear down an old 3 car garage at one of his rental properties (inter-city) I found a purse on the roof. I gathered up the contents and was going to take it to a nearby Police station after we finished for the day. A few hours later a couple pulled up in a car and asked by chance that I found a purse. I said I did, what was your name. It was hers, her husband came over and started hugging me and thanking me...He said they were robbed the night before at the stop sign. He showed me the bullet holes inside the cars dash where the robbers shot.....It didn't include her money, which was what the robbers wanted, but it had SS cards and birth cert. of her kids which would have taken time to replace.....

Since Lakewood doesn't want your business, give Myrtle Beach Travel Park a try. We have gone there 4-5 times over the last 20 years. We'll be there this Aug. for 9 days. It tends to be a little lower keyed there.

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:17 AM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
We also like Myrtle Beach Travel Park. Its family oriented.
Kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:37 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Why would you even want to go back to that same park????
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:55 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I think it would have been a better choice to hand the wallet over to the staff without removing the contents. This of course is just my opinion and might have saved a lot of grief.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:15 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Are you a member of Good Sam Club, if so you could wright to there Action Line and maybe get your money back, or at a minimum a letter of apology. Just a quick thought.
RayandPamT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:46 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
your rights were violated SUE EM and i see nothing unGodly about it.they violated many of your rights and if you dont take action that goon will soon be a cop,
if you ever find my wallet i would approve of your 1st instinct and conduct a thousand percent and im sure the Lord will bless you
brianj
Old 03-14-2010, 02:57 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
"I know you stole that wallet, because I SAW you spend money directly from it."
When he said that, I would have thought about contacting a lawyer right then. I would have said "put that on paper" so I can take it to a lawyer. That was then, this is now. Just don't reward them by returning.....There are many other fishes in the sea......

Myrtle Beach Travel Park

Just a personal opinion, but driving thru all 5 of the large CG's (2 north & 3 south of Myrtle Beach) I found the 3 south of Myrtle Beach (Lakewood, Ocean Lakes & Pirateland) were just too busy. Myrtle Beach Travel Park seemed to be more low key.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 04:00 PM   #9
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Wait a minute!!! You were thrown out last year and lost $700 dollars and you called to go back?

COME ON
Old 03-14-2010, 05:27 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Why empty the wallet, and give the empty wallet to security??? That strikes me as very strange and/or suspicious. Why complicate things ...either tell security you found a wallet, and where someone can claim it ... or just turn the whole thing, as you found it, in to them. I see no reason to go through/empty the contents beyond finding the owner's name/ID.

BTW ...Security (aren't ALL law enforcement/security "rent-a-cops"??? ...they do get paid, don't they??) is there to protect the property and persons of their residents ...they don't know --and don't care --who is a Sunday School secretary, deacon, pastor, or President of the US ...and they shouldn't!!! Sounds to me like her good intentions went way off course ...security personnel can sometime respond in ways you don't expect them to, but they do encouter some strange people in their work!!! Don't complicate a simple situation ...let them do the job they are paid to do.

From the tone of your post, I suspect it was ATTITUDE as much or more than actions that got you declared "undesireable."

...and if I did have a problem like that somewhere, particularly if I felt mistreated, I certainly would not want to return!!
Old 03-16-2010, 09:32 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
We will be going to Lakewood resort this year so it will be interesting to hear there side of this strange story.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:40 AM   #12

We have always camped at Pirateland when we go to MB. Have never had a problem, with the exception of a little noise at nights with kids. I surely would not return to Lakewood. John H...
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:47 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I surely would not return to Lakewood. John H...
I like Pirate land except that of the three cgs they don't have phone lines.

John why would you not return to Lakewood?
Old 03-16-2010, 09:57 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
Why empty the wallet, and give the empty wallet to security??? That strikes me as very strange and/or suspicious. Why complicate things ...either tell security you found a wallet, and where someone can claim it ... or just turn the whole thing, as you found it, in to them. I see no reason to go through/empty the contents beyond finding the owner's name/ID.
I am going to have to agree with Paul on this. Tell them you have it or just turn it in. If the owner was local you could even toss it in a mail box. Going through it is nunya.

I do not agree with you being harassed by Barney Fife or losing you money.

HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote