Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2015, 08:43 PM   #1
doc

Appalachian Campers
Time of year

Almost all our trips in the Rockies and western USA have been in the summer. We are planning a trip 2016 Spring and want to leave as early in the year as possible. Will likely start someplace in New Mexico or Arizona (plans are very vague at this point) and work our way north, visiting Colorado high country Granby and Grand Lake area for a while then moving around the state as we develop ideas. We will eventually end up in Wyoming and Montana and eastern Idaho (possibly all the way to Washington and the Pacific North West area.
What we don't want to get into is a lot of snow. We are trying to figure out the earliest we can leave Georgia and start our likely final road trip. Are the state and federal roads in most of the western states kept plowed? Generally are the RV parks open and if not, when do they begin to open for 'the season'?
We know that Yellowstone and Glacier will likely be the last two National Parks that will fully open. The last time we were on the Going to the Sun it was July before it was open across to the east side.
We would appreciate estimates on dates, experiences and places you guys have visited in the areas mentioned. Likely we will stay in West Yellowstone some place.
There is no time limit and we will end up back in the Black Hills (she loves this area like her second home) before we finally head home. My wife has health issues and wants to revisit some of the places from our past and see what new ones we may pass. Like I said earlier, this will likely be our last major trip and I want it to be all pleasant memories after this. Thanks in advance

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2015, 08:47 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
A few of the passes here in WA are already closed for the winter. Generally the major highways (I-5 and I-90) are kept open. You may be required to carry chains even if you never put them on her in WA after Nov 1st, through April 1st.
Most parks here are open although they may have most spaces closed for the winter.
We were in Yellowstone a few years ago in June and there was still some snow on the ground.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 09:17 PM   #3

If you want to avoid snow and start in New Mexico or Arizona, you can start anytime. January in Quartzite and Yuma--Feb, in Phoenix and Tucson--March and April in southern New Mexico. Check the sand hill cranes at Bosque del Apache. May in southern CO would be chancy. Our first trip was leaving Denver in June going north, through WY,MT ID,WA, OR. We wound up In Simi Valley CA in November.
halfwright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 10:35 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi doc,
You have a good general plan. Consider keeping it that way. Start as far south as you can (keeping in mind what the area has to offer for tourists). You can start as early as January staying around and south of I 10. Elevation and latitude will play the largest roll as to where the cold weather remains the longest. I've been at Glacier July 4th week, GTSR and all high elevation trails remained closed due to snow. The amount of snow is different every winter. Once you start the trip, just check the weather channel daily for the zip code you will go to next. Move north based on the weather. Also check the NP web site for the Park you will go to next. These two sites are outstanding sources of information.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 04:19 PM   #5

I wouldn't try to tour in the mountain areas any earlier than mid-May. Arizona or New Mexico would be o.k. in April - usually, but once you get into Colorado you're still going to have snow to deal with.

Your plan sounds great. Have a great trip!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:16 AM   #6
doc

Appalachian Campers
Thank you this far guys, I hope we are doing this right.
Got the results from MsC's latest MRI this week. Not real pleased. Lesions all over the spinal cord and a couple more on her brain. This is the reason she has been having major problems even getting out of her chain and onto the mobility scooter. Hoping that no more damage will occur, but the doc says it is likely. If it is at all possible, this trip will happen with some Heavenly help.
Please tell me about the Superstition mountains. We watched a thing on TV about them and it was interesting, but these reality shows don't always show the truth. Is it a park like GSMNP or just mountains out in the boonies? Thanks again
Old 12-04-2015, 06:26 PM   #7

So sorry to learn of your wife's medical issues and sincerely hope you'll be able to make this trip.

The Superstitions are at the border of the town of Apache Junction which is connected to Phoenix/Mesa. It not like GSMNP (Smokies) in that there are not a lot of roads going through the gorgeous mountains. Lost Dutchman State Park is on one edge at the town and it's a top class park with hookups. I would highly recommend staying there if you go. We're partial to it because we volunteered there.

Right outside the state park starts the Apache Trail. This 2-lane road is paved for about 10 beautiful miles and then it becomes rough gravel. It ends over by Roosevelt Lake. If you'd take it to Roosevelt you can return by way of Globe and Superior on Hwy 60 and back to the state park. It would be an all day drive but beautiful scenery within the mountains - all forest service land so just scenery. Passenger cars can do the gravel road and you'll be going slow. It's one-lane in spots. It's a top thing to do in the area.

April would probably be the latest I'd want to go to this area as it will start getting very hot. However, if you won't be doing any hiking (nice trails in the park) you could do it with air conditioning and minimal outside. This greater Phoenix area will be extremely hot (up to 115 deg or so) through the summer and even into Sept.

Best of luck to both of you!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 12:06 AM   #8

Time of year

We left Oklahoma April 10 and went west on I 40 stopping along the way. Then Vegas and up I 15 thru UT to Salmon ID. No problems with snowy roads. We arrive in northern ID about May 15. It was an awesome trip and summer. We volunteered at Farragut State Park north of Coeur D'Aline and loved that too. We went to Glacier for the3rd time in mid July. Cool and rainy the days we were there. You can read our blog- Klinger Musings. jUst google it.
Old 12-06-2015, 07:20 AM   #9

Just watch the weather, and be aware of elevations. For instance Flagstaff is higher than Denver. Even in New Mexico there's a lot of high desert.

Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote