Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2015, 08:43 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYRon View Post
...I get cash all over the world using my bank atm card to get local currency. ...
Is that a debit card? I haven't use a debit card in a VERY long time.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2015, 08:45 PM   #16
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Can't help with TV and such but have link to places you maybe interested in on groups we took to Canada, what ever enjoy your trip and safe travels.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:47 PM   #17

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Regarding DirecTV...

It was my understanding that even the satellite beam for non-local channels was also shaped to avoid Canadian territory. If not...

If we can get the major feeds my wife will be happy...thus will I.
Don't know who gave you such misinformation. We had DirecTV last summer on the eastern tip of Prince Edward Island (it's not Prince Edwards). From that far east the angle in the sky is very low (since the 101 satellite is over the equator at a position in west TX but as long as you don't have anything in the way it works fine.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:50 PM   #18

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Is that a debit card? I haven't use a debit card in a VERY long time.
A US debit card won't work as a debit card at Canadian retailers but it will work as a VISA or Mastercard if that is what it is.

Your ATM card (whether or not it is also a debit card) will work in most bank ATM's. That's usually the most economical way of getting cash with minimal currency charges. Last summer Wells Fargo charged us $5 per ATM withdrawal regardless of the amount withdrawn.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:55 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
A US debit card won't work as a debit card at Canadian retailers but it will work as a VISA or Mastercard if that is what it is.

Your ATM card (whether or not it is also a debit card) will work in most bank ATM's. That's usually the most economical way of getting cash with minimal currency charges. Last summer Wells Fargo charged us $5 per ATM withdrawal regardless of the amount withdrawn.
Perhaps I am confusing a bank ATM card with a debit card. My credit union does issue a check/debit card tied to my checking account. It is a VISA card. So, it sounds like I could use that as you describe.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:58 PM   #20

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:

1. Verizon service. I'm pretty familiar with adding the Canadian features to my present phones that provide specific minutes, text and data limits. Is there a better way for to go?
Adding the Canadian package to your Verizon plan will reduce the minutes charges, but the data costs will still be breathtaking!

Quote:
2. Cash. Is it best to carry US currency or Canadian?
You can't spend US currency at most places in Canada and trying to do so is discourteous. You are in another country; why would you expect to use our money?

Quote:
3. Credit Cards. I certainly need to double check my specific cards but in general, are there strange fees and extra charges using a US issued credit card in Canada?
Most cards have some fees associated with their use out of the US. Some cards charge more than others. Check with your card issuers to see what they charge.

Quote:
4. CG service. A quick spot check of CGs along that route seems to indicate that there are a significant percentage of them that do NOT have 50 amp service. Was I just "lucky" seeing that pattern or is that more typical than in the US. BTW...that also seems a bit more true in northern NY state.
Most CG's we have stayed at in Canada have been 30A including the national parks.

Quote:
5. Insurance. Again, I will certainly double check with my policy but; Typically, are there any auto insurance issues with a US auto policy.
Never had a problem.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:01 PM   #21

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Perhaps I am confusing a bank ATM card with a debit card. My credit union does issue a check/debit card tied to my checking account. It is a VISA card. So, it sounds like I could use that as you describe.
Yes, that kind of card will work fine. Just tell the merchant that you are using it as a VISA card and not a debit card. It will still take money out of your checking account but it can't be used as a debit card because all Canadian debit cards have "chips" that ours don't yet have.

And it will work fine in a bank ATM to withdraw money from your checking account.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:07 PM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by datrbone8 View Post
Do Canadians tip their servers in Canadian restaurants and clubs?

Yes. 15% before tax is the basic "rule".

Gas is around 1.10$-1.25$ per liter in QC now. That's roughly US3.25$-3.55$ per US Gallon,

Diesel fuel is around US4.10$ per US Gallon.

It has gone down about 20% lately. It was even more expensive before the Holidays..... Way too much taxes...
JoyalRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:33 PM   #23

Traveling in Canada

As a Canadian snowbird, and presently residing in Florida, to enter Canada you would be far ahead to have a curent passport, don't try to enter with any firearms of any discription,or mace,or stun guns. Same as entry t o the USA, money in a large amount, must be declared. Fuel will be an eye opener, and most provincal parks have only 30 amp services, while private parks tend to have 50 amp services. Camping in the Toronto area is minimal with a few to the west, and only 2 to the east within 30 miles. It will be to your benefit to arrive with Canadian currency and if needing to get more use a debit card at Walmart as they tend to give the best exchange.You may also try money exchanges which tend to give the best rates. Google these for the area you may be in. You seem to have a very tight schedule with your plans as Toronto to Prince Edward Island is a good haul,24 to 28 hrs.Travelling thru Quebec will be an eye opener as ALL signage is in FRENCH. Being as you have out of country plates the people will tend to try to speak in english. I hope you enjoy all your travels.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:37 PM   #24
JDT

We did a trip this past fall, entering Canada at Sault Ste. Marie and exiting into Vermont. We had stops at Sudbury, Ottawa and Montreal. The Parliament tour at Ottawa was so impressive but it was a few weeks before the shooting they had so don't know what has changed. We stayed at Camp Hither Hills which is a nice but small privately owned campground. I can't remember but I think there was 50 amp. The owner and his family were so friendly and helpful with directions and tips for places to go and see. It is in a rather country setting but not far from the city. I highly recommend it.

I only had one card, my GM card issued by CapitolOne which did not have a foreign transaction fee. Before we entered Canada I called to let them know we would be using it there. They said no problem. The first time I used they put a fraud alert hold on it which required a call to get it released. From then on I had no problems. I loaded 300 minutes on my OnStar for about $12 and we used it for all our calls while there. The down side is we had to be in the truck to make them but we warned our kids that was how it would be.

We exchanged some money at a bank while still in Michigan and used it for a lot of our purchases. Still had some left when we got in Vermont and used it on the Canadian side of Niagara Falls when we stopped there on the way back home. Had just enough left for a good dinner at a restaurant.

The only disconcerting thing was the lack of English on most of the highway signs in Quebec. Ontario has all their signs in both languages. My truck has a digital dash which changes everything over to metric which made watching my speed much easier.

We had more questions and a harder time with the border guards coming back into the US than we did with the Canadians. Our friends had a box of homegrown tomatoes they had to give up but they figured that would happen.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:56 PM   #25

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Racing View Post
Travelling thru Quebec will be an eye opener as ALL signage is in FRENCH.
It's not all that difficult. Nord, sud, and est are all straightforward and once you understand that "ou" is pronounced "oo" then ouest is obviously west. All the rest are just pretty much just route numbers and city names.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:05 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by datrbone8 View Post
Quebec is a very scenic city. If you speak French your visit will be much more pleasant.

Do Canadians tip their servers in Canadian restaurants and clubs?
Canada is bilingual. Most Quebec'ers in the large urban centers speak fluent English. There are a few who may make it tough but if you are trying so will they.

Yes - Canadians tip.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:08 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I'm thinking maybe going to the bank is best for cash. My Capitol One CC doesn't charge any fees for purchases but if I were to use it for getting cash I pay a hefty transaction fee and interest starts immediately at over 24% and I would still probably have an ATM fee too. I am looking into a debit card instead for getting cash. That would probably be best even when I pay ATM fees.
Does your bank offer a Canadian credit card? Many of the Canadian banks offer a US currency credit card. It is much better than using a Canadian card in the US.

You might try the RBC Bank based in Georgia. You may be able to get a card through them.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:17 PM   #28

I have used American cash in every country I have been in, but I did ask which they preferred. Perhaps it is being next to Mexico where they want the American dollar more than their own peso that has me requesting which is preferred by the merchant I am dealing with. Was never intending to be the obnoxious tourist from America. Anyone not wanting our cash was happy to take our credit card.

Tags
travel