Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2013, 04:44 PM   #1

Tire Test - Unintentional

Just returned from a trip from Texas to New Hampshire. A head's up...avoid I-20 E (probably W as well) if at all possible thru Louisiana and Mississippi. The condition of the road was horrendous...I couldn't dodge all the bone rattling potholes. Seriously. Was so bad, it dislodged the bottom bracket of my television...Thought it securely fastened both at the top and bottom of the TV set.

Was a true test of the tires on the 5er..and the truck, as well. Worse than I-10 around Lafayette, La. Needless to say, I did not return to Texas via that route

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2013, 06:39 PM   #2

West Texas roads aren't bad.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:42 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We are in Monroe, LA and traveled I-20 to get here. Some sections are beyond unbelievable with the 5er in tow. But they are still rough without the trailer. I just slowed down to a speed that had the bumping down to an acceptable level. This is with a Mohr Ryde hitch and suspension on the trailer.

Ken
Old 09-09-2013, 06:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool View Post
Just returned from a trip from Texas to New Hampshire. A head's up...avoid I-20 E (probably W as well) if at all possible thru Louisiana and Mississippi. The condition of the road was horrendous...I couldn't dodge all the bone rattling potholes. Seriously. Was so bad, it dislodged the bottom bracket of my television...Thought it securely fastened both at the top and bottom of the TV set.

Was a true test of the tires on the 5er..and the truck, as well. Worse than I-10 around Lafayette, La. Needless to say, I did not return to Texas via that route
That is a rough trip through Louisiana that I have made many times pulling a 31' RV trailer and only once in my Motorhome. I don't expect that it will get any better anytime soon and it has made me swear off going from Houston to Destin FL. What other route did you take to miss this. I don't mind going out of my way.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #5

The alternative to I-20 thru LA and MISS was I-40 and I-30. Keep in mind I was coming from the North...The only alternative to I-10 East, out of Houston thru LA would be Hwy 90...that is if you have a month to make the trip to FL....just kidding.. Wish I knew of a reasonable alternative...Actually, traveled I-10 from Lafayette to Houston and the bad part was right around Lafayette. Much better as we went west. Don't know about east of Lafayette.

Happy Travels
Fool
Old 09-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool View Post
The alternative to I-20 thru LA and MISS was I-40 and I-30. Keep in mind I was coming from the North...The only alternative to I-10 East, out of Houston thru LA would be Hwy 90...that is if you have a month to make the trip to FL....just kidding.. Wish I knew of a reasonable alternative...Actually, traveled I-10 from Lafayette to Houston and the bad part was right around Lafayette. Much better as we went west. Don't know about east of Lafayette.

Happy Travels
Fool
What about Houston to Shreveport and then pick up I-20 east.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:32 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post

What about Houston to Shreveport and then pick up I-20 east.
Wouldn't think so. He was saying I-20 through LA and Miss. I think.
tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:57 PM   #8

Actually I-20 east or west between Monroe,LA and Clinton,MS, in our opinion, isn't bad at all, we traveled it twice in the last month. The road at Jackson MS is almost impassible. I thought our coach was going to come off the road there.

As far as I-10 from Houston,TX to Slidell, LA is really not that bad. The area around Lafayette is rough, but the rest of the road isn't bad at all. The problem is getting through Baton Rouge because of the traffic issues.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote