Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2006, 11:04 AM   #1

We're planning on going to Tombstone, AZ after going to the Rally in Temecula. I've located two campgrounds. The one to which I'm leaning is Stampede which is within walking distance of Allen Street. Anybody stayed there?

The other one was Tombstone RV Resort, but it didn't appear to be that close to the area we are most interested in.

We also considered one in Benson. I wish there was a military base close by...a lot less expensive.

Comments would be appreciated.

<font color="#0000ff">George Eldridge

Cynthia Totten</font>
Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2006, 11:04 AM   #2

We're planning on going to Tombstone, AZ after going to the Rally in Temecula. I've located two campgrounds. The one to which I'm leaning is Stampede which is within walking distance of Allen Street. Anybody stayed there?

The other one was Tombstone RV Resort, but it didn't appear to be that close to the area we are most interested in.

We also considered one in Benson. I wish there was a military base close by...a lot less expensive.

Comments would be appreciated.

Cynthia Totten</font>
Old 02-25-2006, 12:11 PM   #3

We stayed at K&N RV Park just recently which is a little farther down the road toward Ft. Huachuaca, which is near Sierra Vista. We enjoyed this location so much because it became a central point to explore the whole area, and there is so much to see than just Tombstone. They have a wonderful rate for a month-long stay and they aren't the "resorty" kind of park, but they ARE quiet. We enjoyed visiting Bisbee, AZ, south of Tombstone, also. One of the places we would urge you NOT to overlook is the area around Fairbank, the ghost town that once served as Tombstone's railroad service. There are all kinds of curious sites in that area, including an old cemetery, a stamping mill up river, and an old Spanish mission ruins. The javalinas (peccaries) are also visible during the day while you are in the area. Enjoy your time...it's a neat area.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:51 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Ft. Huachuaca (Army) has a campground.
DICK
Acker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 08:12 AM   #5

I looked in my Military RV directory for Fort Huachuaca, but couldn't find it at first. I guess it's actually called Apache Flats. It sounds very good. I asked about it on the military-RVforums.com and got a couple of people who had stayed there. It seems quite convenient to see the area and the price is right also.

We might stay at Davis-Monthan AFB for a night or two to visit Old Tucson.

Thanks for the advice.

Cynthia Totten</font>
Old 02-26-2006, 09:10 AM   #6

Webster: If you get near Tucson don't fail to spend some time at the Pima Air Museum. There are also two Arizona State Parks that have campgrounds. One is the Catalina State Park and the other is Kartchner Caverns State Park. Visit www.pr.state.az.us for further info.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:43 AM   #7

Thanks Mountain Man....we're planning on staying at Davis-Monthan AFB for a couple of days either on the go or the return for the main purpose of visiting Old Tucson (I used to make movies for the Navy, so I have an interest). But, we're going to spend most of our time at Apache Flats (Fort Huachuaca military RV Camp). We want to visit the older caves rather than Kartchner (I understand that Kartchner doesn't have barriers and I am 100% VA disabled).

Thanks for the info, if DM is full then we might consider the State Parks.

Cynthia Totten</font>
Old 02-27-2006, 05:41 PM   #8
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
Hey Webster, you didn't post when you were coming. One thing to keep in mind until the end of March is its spring training time here and with the White Sox and Diamond Backs both in Tuscan, its snow bird paradise down there. Ken hasn't posted yet, but he lives down there and has sponsored several rallies with the Northwood folks and knows all the neat spots. so I will try and send him a e-mail if hes not out someplace and have him add to your dilemma I will also link this to the Four corners area for more input.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:26 AM   #9

We stayed at Tombstone Territories last spring and liked it. It's really not far from Tombstone at all; very private, large sites, clean and friendly. If it's the right season, ask at the desk about the hummingbird banding they do nearby. Some beautiful birds along the "riparian" stream parks.

The cg in Tombstone didn't look as nice; seemed crowded.

In Tombstone, don't miss the Bird Cage Theater. This is an old saloon/theater etc that has not been restored, but only preserved: the curtains, backdrop and bullet holes are all the originals. Also, make sure you go to the museum. Very neat.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:43 AM   #10

Hey Chief

Never stayed at Apache Flats. I can vouch for Tombstone Territories RV Park. Great park, retired dentist owns it, great guy. It's Passport America so its very inexpensive. Great location with 360 degree viem, mountains all around. Great star gazing at night. Big sites. If you stay at Apache Flats, take the back road to Tombstone, very scenic. DMAFB is very busy. Still lots of dry dockers waiting their turn to get in but it is nice facilities. Wherever you stay, live life to it's fullest!

Jim, SK1 USNR,retired

2006 Jeep Liberty Limited
Our Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 01:21 PM   #11

Thanks for all the info...great stuff!

We're now thinking about drycamping at Davis-Monthan for a couple of days and then trying El Centro on the way back or skipping DM this trip. We're gonna call Fort Huachuaca to make a reservation and if we can't do that then we'll take a look at Tombstone Territories as we are PA members.

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot. I would like to see a Military/RV Forum. Go to the Web Site Forum and vote on the poll...much appreciated.

I believe my wife wants to visit the Package Store at Fort Huachuaca 'cause she likes her Black Russians and it's a lot cheaper at the Exchange. I can't drink with my diabetes and kidney problems...but, that's okay...I did my share during my 20 years.

Cynthia Totten</font>
Old 03-02-2006, 04:09 AM   #12

Checking in. Let me know if you have any specific questions that I might be able to answer. Thumbs up for Tombstone Tertories RV Park and Kartchner Caverns SP.

Webster: Let me know if you want to try to meet while your here. Email me at forums@klenger.net
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 09:30 AM   #13

Okay...we're staying at Tombstone Territories. I called them even though they don't take PA reservations. Very courteous on the phone. Said we should not have a problem the weekend of the 19th, but should call the day before.

If it's full when we get there (about 1 p.m.) and they are full, we can always head on down to Apache Flats.

We will add a campground review once we leave.

Cynthia Totten</font>
Old 03-03-2006, 03:23 PM   #14

Apache Flats is usually at peak capacity from October through April.