Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2012, 09:47 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Tombstone arizona

Can anyone recommend a place to stay in tombstone and also , what is there to do in tombstone how many days should we stay ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2012, 10:14 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The times I have been to Tombstone one day was plenty for me to see the town. However there are things around in the general area that people seem to enjoy. Bisbee Arizona is worth taking in from what I hear. There are some wineries around in that area and we enjoyed finding and visiting them.

I found three RV parks in Tombstone which look pretty basic. I can't reccomend them because I have not stayed there more than just a day. Do a search and see what you think?

njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:29 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We stayed at Tombstone Territories RV park on 82 and liked it. As far as Tombstone is concerned, I was not impressed. It is typical tourist place. A good place to stock up on your cheap Chinese import stuff and little toilets with a cactus plant in it.
IMPORTANT this is just my jaded opinion and you should probably see it once just because.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:35 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Tombstone has turned into a first class TT (tourist trap). It is worth a day but no more. Much more interesting is Kartchner Caverns just up the road. Bisbee is worth a day trip.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:34 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
To be fair there is some history there, but it is not a museum, pretty much commercial. It has a lot of chinz in the stores.

But if you have kids then there are folks walking around in costumes and some walk through attractions they might like, stage coach etc; and a reenactment of the OK Corral dissagreement.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:10 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
You will be severely disappointed in Tombstone! But as someone said "you've got to see it once".
Stay at Kartchner Caverns State Park (9 miles south of I-10 on State 90) It's exit 302 about 2 miles west of Benson. This is the nicest state park we've ever seen!!! Full hook-ups and $25 per nite last year. Huge sites!
We found OLD Fort Huachuca much more informative of the area. It's on "New" Ft. Huachuca (an Army post) but no trouble getting on or off post.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:29 AM   #7

I'd suggest if you stay at Kartchner Caverns be sure to take the cavern tour. Also, that area is high desert so check the weather - it can get very cold in that area.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:35 PM   #8

Tombstone is a "must see" - at least ONCE! However, don't pass it up completely based on others' opinions. You might really like it. We know folks who return often.

It can be a lot colder there compared to nearby communities. Probably plan to spend an afternoon, preferably on a weekend when the "town" has a little more action. But do go!!

As others have recommended, Kartchner Caverns State Park on Hwy 90, south of I-10 is a wonderful place to stay and the cavern tours are wonderful, especially the Throne Room for your first time. From the state park campground you can easily drive to Tombstone and also nearby Bisbee (also colder temps there so bring a warm coat) which is also a "must". The mine tour in Bisbee is highly recommended. Nearby Sierra Vista has major shopping for stocking your pantry and birding and hiking are top attractions there. The town is in a pretty setting next to Fort Huachuca where you can also tour. (I believe a passport is now required to enter the Fort so be prepared.) You will also be close for a drive to Patagonia (also a neat state park for camping) and the nature conservancy for top birding. If you like wineries - taken in the Elgin area, also. Have a great stay in the area!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:51 PM   #9

This is a passport america park, close to Tombstone. It is pretty nic, we stayed there a couple of years ago.
Tombstone Territories RV Resort 2111 E Highway 82, Huachuca City, AZ 85616 - (877) 316-6714 Email: info@tombstoneterritories.com
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:42 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Take in the gun fight show, a pay item but a good show. Also the old court house is interesting. A good walk around town and see the local GIRLS on the street.
Tombstone Territories RV Park on 82 is nice and quiet with good pullthru's. And is close enough to get to all the nearby places people have mentioned.

LEN
Old 11-16-2012, 09:00 PM   #11

We loved tombstone!

Can't wait to go again. Of course, we are into the old west (history, movies, ghosts, etc.). It's worth the trip just to go to the Bird Cage Theater. It's just like it was when Doc Holiday and Wyatt Earp gambled there. You can even still smell the tabacco smoke. If you have the least bit of interest in the old west, GO!!!!!! Oh yes, don't miss Boot Hill. Can't recommend a place to stay, but for the experience of Tombstone, any old place will do.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:27 PM   #12

Tombstone is cool for a day . Kartchner Caverns is awesome ! There is 2 tours and a excellent RV Park and a short walk to the Caverns . Get reservations ahead of time. Bisbee has a Small RV park right in town close the mine tour. Take the guided bus tour of the town its really informative and interesting . Museum in town is cool also.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:44 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
We've also been to Tombstone and enjoyed the visit. Yes, it's touristy but it's still fun. As long as you can tell what's worth the money and what isn't, you'll have a good time and probably want to go back. I know we do. It was a good time.

Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote